08-21-2016, 09:35 PM
User Info
Hi,

i have a question to all of you who already bought stuff from outside the US: Residenting in Europe i am planning on selling some (hopefully highpriced) straights on ebay.com. Is it required to put an customs declaration with the amount of the content outside the parcel? Or should i better declare it as a gift or pass on that declaration completely in order that the US based buyer will get his item as quick as possible?

In Germany everything coming in from outside the EU that does not have that customs declaration on it (or have it on but the declared amount is higher than 20 €) is intercepted by our german customs which results in much longer post runtime, you have to visit the customs office and pay additional fees.

2 19
 08-22-2016, 07:54 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Ironically, once an overseas package falls into the hands of the USPS the likelyhood of having import duties assessed in nil. But receive it from a private carrier and they will. If you can properly insure for full value and send as gift do so. I doubt straights will impact any trade inbalances. They might invite inspection being metal.

2 3,171
 08-22-2016, 05:24 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
It may be just me, but if I was selling anything on Flea-Bay anymore. I would mark the customs form to the penny and minimize the chances of it going astray and giving the buyer a PayPal claim when the item was held up or confiscated by customs.    If I sent a razor to a friend as a gift, I'd mark it as such insured to the actual value.  But if it is a high value razor being sold there's no reason to try and cheat the system to avoid the legal duty.

45 492
 08-22-2016, 05:30 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(08-22-2016, 05:24 PM)garyg Wrote: It may be just me, but if I was selling anything on Flea-Bay anymore. I would mark the customs form to the penny and minimize the chances of it going astray and giving the buyer a PayPal claim when the item was held up or confiscated by customs.    If I sent a razor to a friend as a gift, I'd mark it as such insured to the actual value.  But if it is a high value razor being sold there's no reason to try and cheat the system to avoid the legal duty.
+1. I would also suggest shipping it via Fedex or DHL so that you have door to door service and accurate tracking.

46 18,621
 08-22-2016, 06:51 PM
User Info
Imported razors into the U.S. are not tariffed or taxed. Razors are a duty free item, basically. As are 99% of other shaving products associated with the hobby.

0 21
 08-22-2016, 07:04 PM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
(08-22-2016, 06:51 PM)PLANofMAN Wrote: Imported razors into the U.S. are not tariffed or taxed. Razors are a duty free item, basically. As are 99% of other shaving products associated with the hobby.

All the more reason to fill out the customs declaration honestly then ..

45 492
 08-22-2016, 07:09 PM
User Info
We don't really have an across the board VAT. Not yet at least.

I never get fees or duties for anything I have bought from anywhere in the world. Yet.

Dodgy

I honestly don't do much international shopping though to be fair. I believe the issues I have read about the most pertain to mislabeled and undeclared contents. I have not personally had any issues though myself.

10 1,455
 08-23-2016, 10:30 AM
User Info
Thank you all for advice. I´ll ship with DHL and fill out that custom declaration with the true amount.

2 19