08-22-2016, 03:15 PM
User Info
I couldn't resist that tiny brush when I saw Simpson's had the Wee Scot in tortoise.  I also had never had a Simpson's best badger brush (or pure or super).  I got it to use seeing as it was reported to be useful even if a novelty.

The first shave was not great.  The size didn't bother me but the pricklyness did.  I believe this is what is called Scritch.

I was hoping it just needed to break in.  So today I soaked it (hadn't the first time) and used it with some Simpson's vanilla and rose.  And it was better but the scritch was still there.  This leads to a couple of questions:

Firstly, is it just breaking in?

Secondly, and especially if it isn't just breaking in, is this scritch/prickle common in Simpson's best badger?

TIA, Tony

3 126
 08-22-2016, 03:46 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
First soak the bristles in a solution of Borax and hot water (not too hot)
next rinse well with warm water. 20 min
Now soak the bristles in some shampoo mixed with hot water ( again not too hot) 20 min
Finally, SOAK ONLY FOR 5 MIN NOT LONGER a little conditioner in warm water Remove in 5 min and rinse thoroughly in warm water. Dry brush. Put it up and try shaving with it tomorrow

68 1,047
 08-22-2016, 04:54 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Tony, my experience with Simpson's Best has been generally good. I have had a few Simpsons brushes with Best hair. The CH3 is delightfully soft and luxurious as is my 59. Both brushes are older, with Made in England stickers. My CH1 is also from the same era (MiE). Perhaps because of the relatively shorter loft, it's just ever so slightly, barely imperceptibly scritchy... But with extra-sufficient soaking and loading it actually feels soft - scrubby but soft. The other Best brush I've had was a more recent production Duke 3 (with Made in Great Britain sticker). This knot was just too darn scritchy. I gave it months and used it for many, many, many shaves to break it in, but it never softened. A quick trip to Rudy Vey cured that, and now the "D3.1" has a sweet Shavemac 25/50 2 band. 

So anyway, I guess my gist is look for longer lofted Best knots.

4 1,915
 08-22-2016, 05:14 PM
User Info
My experience is similar to that mentioned above, knots from the older era were incredible. Newer best knots that I have received are scratchy and I have given up on purchasing those brushes because of this.

59 1,406
 08-22-2016, 08:43 PM
User Info
I have a Simpson Duke 3 and it is very very soft. I bought the wee Scot from maggard last month because it was so cute and I had the same experience. Very rough on my face. I've only used it 3 times now and I'm really going it softens up. Otherwise it'll have to be a counter piece.

2 52
 08-22-2016, 09:30 PM
User Info
The experience thus far has given me pause for ordering a Simpson's best badger - should it?  I've always read that there isn't much difference in best and super.  But I've also read there is great variance in what constitutes best.

3 126
 08-23-2016, 01:50 PM
User Info
I just got a new Wee Scot. Simpson's kindly sent me a replacement for my shedder, which wasn't prickly at all.
The first time out of the box with the new one, I felt just a hint of prickle, but nothing annoying.
I didn't give it any pre-treatment.

I have a related question for Wee Scot owners. Because of my shedding experience, I followed the Simpson's instructions, which call for using only painting strokes.
The result was that I didn't generate much lather...and that even while using La Toja.
I have a notion that this too may be a breaking-in issue, but what do you all do in terms of brush motion -- do you just splay at will?

8 896
 08-23-2016, 01:58 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Rory, I now use painting strokes 99.9% of the time. It just takes a bit more time and effort. That with sufficient soap and water and I get gobs of lather Biggrin

4 1,915
 08-23-2016, 02:11 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I currently own four Simpson brush's with best badger knots: Colonel, Chubby1, Duke3 and Wee Scot.  None of them has any hint of scritch, scratch or prickliness nor do they shed.  However, I bought them 3-4 years ago, so I seem to have been lucky with the best badger Simpson used at that time.  It's disappointing to hear that the current crop of best badger is not up to snuff; too bad, as I consider my best badger brushes to be very good value and excellent performers.

5 882
 08-23-2016, 03:18 PM
User Info
I've been really contemplating a Commodore 64 (oops mean X1 or x2) in best so the out lay isn't that much if I don't like it.  one of the leading options if I don't get the Simpson's Commodore X2 will be a Vulfix 2234.

3 126
 08-25-2016, 07:52 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I own three Simpson best badger brushes (including the Wee Scot) and they are all very soft now.  I usually break in a new badger by soaking in warm water for about 20 minutes (not the knot, just the tips) then lather with what ever soap or cream you choose.  Then I work up a nice lather in the palm of my hand and I work this for about 5 minutes.  Rinse in warm water and let dry.  I do this routine between 5-7 days before I actually start using the brush to build my face lather.  Something my uncle showed me many years ago and it has always worked for me no matter what brand of brush I use.

My Wee Scot is my only travel brush and I still use it from time to time for my daily shave.

175 23,752
 08-25-2016, 08:08 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I agree Best badger takes a while to break-in. If you follow Johnny's advice or mine and have some patience you will be rewarded. If on the other hand you prefer instant gratification then stay away from Best and concentrate on more expensive grades of hair.

68 1,047
 08-25-2016, 11:57 AM
User Info
It's great if it will break in because I was under the understanding that Badger really didn't break in much if at all.  I'll be patient with it and give it a go with the suggestions if it will yield a softer, less prickly brush.

3 126
 08-25-2016, 02:48 PM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(08-25-2016, 11:57 AM)Texchappy Wrote: It's great if it will break in because I was under the understanding that Badger really didn't break in much if at all.  I'll be patient with it and give it a go with the suggestions if it will yield a softer, less prickly brush.

I've seen that written as well. In my experience Badgers need break-in as well. Much less so than Boars and horsehair brushes.

68 1,047
 08-25-2016, 03:33 PM
User Info
Thanks for the tips, Barrylu and Johnny!

8 896
 08-30-2016, 03:54 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(08-25-2016, 03:33 PM)Rory1262 Wrote: Thanks for the tips, Barrylu and Johnny!

You are welcome.

175 23,752
 08-30-2016, 04:51 PM
User Info
(08-25-2016, 03:33 PM)Rory1262 Wrote: Thanks for the tips, Barrylu and Johnny!

Ditto.

Used the Wee Scot today and for the first time it felt more scrubby than prickly.  Didn't soak it or it might have been even better.  Was good enough in fact that I ordered a Commidore X2.

3 126