08-23-2016, 08:49 AM
User Info
Aftershaves seem to be getting better and better each year and I'm curious which aftershaves you love that 1) have a GREAT scent that rivals a good EDT, and 2) are strong enough to last 3 or 4 hours (or more).

Fine's offerings meet this criteria IMO, but curious what else is out there.

Edit:  Wanted to clarify that I'm curious who out there is making the best scents (with some staying power).

53 1,199
 08-23-2016, 09:29 AM
User Info
Country club for men splashes (formerly beer soap brewing company) 
WSP splashes 
Pitralon polar 
Chiseled face splashes
Maggards splashes 
Saponificio varesino (balms but good) 
Aqua Velva Ice blue
Some RazoRock/IB splashes

Just to name a few.

147 3,537
 08-23-2016, 09:39 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(08-23-2016, 09:29 AM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: Country club for men splashes (formerly beer soap brewing company) 
WSP splashes 
Pitralon polar 
Chiseled face splashes
Maggards splashes 
Aqua Vella Ice blue

Just to name a few.
I really like the Aqua Velva and use it very often the last years, I have both the American and European version, but unfortunately they last about half an hour on me. Different skin, different people.

Old Spice Original and Floid Mentolado Vigoroso and Black are some of the longest lasting aftershaves I have tried. They have great scents too!

49 1,996
 08-23-2016, 10:06 AM
User Info
(08-23-2016, 09:39 AM)nikos.a Wrote:
(08-23-2016, 09:29 AM)FreddieP318ti Wrote: Country club for men splashes (formerly beer soap brewing company) 
WSP splashes 
Pitralon polar 
Chiseled face splashes
Maggards splashes 
Aqua Velva Ice blue

Just to name a few.
I really like the Aqua Velva and use it very often the last years, I have both the American and European version, but unfortunately they last about half an hour on me. Different skin, different people.

Old Spice Original and Floid Mentolado Vigoroso and Black are some of the longest lasting aftershaves I have tried. They have great scents too!

I hear you. I find it funny the way things work for one but not another. I come across this more in soaps than anything. On me I can still catch whiffs of the AV ice blue up to 6 and 7 hours later. The least lasting ones for me have been Myrsol and Floyd Blue. Love them both, but no lasting scent.

147 3,537
 08-23-2016, 10:07 AM
User Info
WSP splashes 
Pitralon polar 
Chiseled face splashes
Maggards splashes 
Aqua Vella Ice blue

Just to name a few.

Hmm, is Country Club for men still in business (website is down). Anyone else carry his stuff?

53 1,199
 08-23-2016, 11:53 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
AS by nature and concept aren't supposed to hang around all day. This is why many have, or had their counterpart in a EDT such as Penahligons and formerly TOBS partially gone to one strength fits all( and none). Some AS do have a delightfull and very long drydown with little projection. ALT INNSBRUK gives that initial cyrogenic menthol burst followed by tobacco flower. I've had people pick up the faint echo of it well into the afternoon.

2 3,171
 08-23-2016, 12:04 PM
User Info
All of Phoenix's AS have tremendous staying power, although they aren't necessarily my favorite.

13 494
 08-23-2016, 01:42 PM
  • pb56
  • New York
User Info
Pinaud Lilac Vegetal!

44 178
 08-23-2016, 02:42 PM
User Info
(08-23-2016, 10:07 AM)david1201 Wrote:
WSP splashes 
Pitralon polar 
Chiseled face splashes
Maggards splashes 
Aqua Vella Ice blue

Just to name a few.

Hmm, is Country Club for men still in business (website is down). Anyone else carry his stuff?

I hope their still around. Love their splashes!

Edit: says they are temporarily closed due to relocation.

147 3,537
 08-23-2016, 02:51 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(08-23-2016, 11:53 AM)kav Wrote: AS by  nature and concept aren't supposed to hang around all day. This is why many have, or had their counterpart in a EDT such as Penahligons and formerly TOBS  partially gone to one strength fits all( and none). Some AS do have a delightfull and very long drydown with little projection. ALT INNSBRUK gives that initial cyrogenic menthol burst followed by tobacco flower. I've had people pick up the faint echo of it well into the afternoon.

Once again the Kav is correct. Alt Innsbruk does last the longest followed by the Fine offerings but in terms of sillage one must step up to colognes, EDTs, parfums and all the other levels. Of course you don't apply them as you would an aftershave.

7 2,327
 08-23-2016, 03:13 PM
User Info
(08-23-2016, 02:51 PM)Mouser Wrote:
(08-23-2016, 11:53 AM)kav Wrote: AS by  nature and concept aren't supposed to hang around all day. This is why many have, or had their counterpart in a EDT such as Penahligons and formerly TOBS  partially gone to one strength fits all( and none). Some AS do have a delightfull and very long drydown with little projection. ALT INNSBRUK gives that initial cyrogenic menthol burst followed by tobacco flower. I've had people pick up the faint echo of it well into the afternoon.

Once again the Kav is correct. Alt Innsbruk does last the longest followed by the Fine offerings but in terms of sillage one must step up to colognes, EDTs, parfums and all the other levels. Of course you don't apply them as you would an aftershave.

I know some old ladies who would beg to differ!
Tongue

147 3,537
 08-23-2016, 05:46 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
(08-23-2016, 12:04 PM)22bulldog Wrote: All of Phoenix's AS have tremendous staying power, although they aren't necessarily my favorite.

Out of my 90 or so aftershaves, the PAA scents last the longest--by far. For me. I actually like all of my nine PAA aftershaves, which all share the same DNA. Cavendish, The Beach, Sk8shop and Al Fin are four of my favorites.

I used Floid Vigoroso this morning, and am still sniffing it 11 hours later. Of course, I have a Tom Selleck mustache I douse with AS in the morning, so your YMMV. (I keep my mustache mostly so I have a delivery system for long-lasting AS scent experiences.)

6 349
 08-24-2016, 06:56 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
Aqua Velva Ice Sport and Original Sport
Alt Innsbruck 
Harris Arlington

7 909
 08-24-2016, 08:16 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
"Girls under 18 are protected by law. ladies over 65 nature. Everything in between is fair game". I forget my source, but a little chivalry is called for here. Those 'old ladies' are merely clinging to the faded blossom of youth without men to compliment them in appreciable number. Now, if you want
the real cause of colony collapse disorder it is these pubescent, androgynous boymen who rub scent ads torn from GQ magazines all over their genitals befouling public elevators.

2 3,171
 08-24-2016, 10:55 AM
User Info
(08-23-2016, 05:46 PM)pbrmhl Wrote:
(08-23-2016, 12:04 PM)22bulldog Wrote: All of Phoenix's AS have tremendous staying power, although they aren't necessarily my favorite.

Out of my 90 or so aftershaves, the PAA scents last the longest--by far. For me. I actually like all of my nine PAA aftershaves, which all share the same DNA. Cavendish, The Beach, Sk8shop and Al Fin are four of my favorites.

I used Floid Vigoroso this morning, and am still sniffing it 11 hours later. Of course, I have a Tom Selleck mustache I douse with AS in the morning, so your YMMV. (I keep my mustache mostly so I have a delivery system for long-lasting AS scent experiences.)

Going to give a number of the PAA aftershaves a try.  Seems like a no-brainer since PAA now offers samples.

53 1,199
 08-24-2016, 10:59 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Aftershaves with staying power are called EdT or EdP.

38 5,108
 08-24-2016, 11:14 AM
User Info
(08-24-2016, 10:59 AM)evnpar Wrote: Aftershaves with staying power are called EdT or EdP.

No offense, but does anyone here really think that people don't know the difference between Aftershaves and Colognes (or more specifically Perfumes)?  

And frankly I would argue that many EDTs would not meet the criteria of having "staying power."

There are a number of good reasons to search out stronger-scented aftershaves as opposed to a more traditional EdT or EdP such as cost, desire to support artisans, better understanding of ingredients used, etc.

53 1,199
 08-24-2016, 11:38 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
I obtained 2 trial vials of Creed Bois du Portugal and used it for a date. I had read a whimsical thread guessing fragrance choice of fictional chracters on Basenotes with the consensus Gomez Addams would use it. Was it nice? Yes, but 48 hours later I was still smelling of it. Then I learned it was Kevin Costner's
signature scent and I got him mad with unintended putdown at a Malibu seafood restaurant.
I finally figured out the math. AS is like gas. If you want to go beyond 37 miles carry another gallon, or in my case a sampler vial or small atomiser.

2 3,171
 08-24-2016, 03:04 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Crown Shaving Tonic is a wonderful, all natural aftershave with significant staying power....like 4-6 hours easy.  A wonderful "barbershop" scent that is a mixture of leather, tobacco, Bay Rum, barber's talc and a bit of anise. They sell a matching cologne, but I find it's not necessary.  I've noticed the scent of the tonic 8 hours after application.

Ingredients:
Contains: Denatured alcohol, purified water (aqua), parfum, polysorbate 20, Hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) distillate, Glycerin, Azadirachta (Neem) oil, pimenta racemosa (bay rum) essential oil, bergamia (bergamot) essential oil, pimpinella anisum (anise seed) essential oil.

168 1,384
 08-24-2016, 03:06 PM
User Info
(08-24-2016, 11:14 AM)david1201 Wrote:
(08-24-2016, 10:59 AM)evnpar Wrote: Aftershaves with staying power are called EdT or EdP.

No offense, but does anyone here really think that people don't know the difference between Aftershaves and Colognes (or more specifically Perfumes)?  

And frankly I would argue that many EDTs would not meet the criteria of having "staying power."

There are a number of good reasons to search out stronger-scented aftershaves as opposed to a more traditional EdT or EdP such as cost, desire to support artisans, better understanding of ingredients used, etc.

It has been my experience that people who want more "staying power" in an aftershave are actually describing a combination of sillage, projection, and longevity. I believe the chief concerns of an aftershave maker are not these things - but rather to protect & heal, with some menthol/fragrance added as a bonus. So, when people ask about an aftershave with "staying power" I'd agree with evnpar, and direct them to something better designed for what they are seeking.

28 1,085