08-23-2016, 03:38 PM
User Info
Bought this little brush 2-3 weeks ago and was afraid the 30 mm knot in the relatively high Thäter loft would make it feel too floppy.

I had Chris at shaving.ie pick me one of the 3 he had in stock with the lowest loft.

Have no precise idea of the loft, but I guess it's in the 55-56 mm region.

Actually the loft is quite low in this Thäter, much to my surprise.

I have owned 14-15 Thäters, now down to only 7 from the 4125 series, which is a series with a more densely packed knot, than the 42 series, which I sold all from, because they felt too floppy for my taste.

Again much to my surprise - this 4125/4 30 mm 2-band badger is not even remotely close to feel floppy.

This brush is among the best brushes I have ever owned. Period. Flow through is excellent. Softess of tips unparalled, almost. Density very very nice. Face feel excellent. Not too much, not too little feel. Just right. Perfect face feel.

I have tried it with softer creams, croaps, softer soaps and really hard soaps. It performs excellent with all products I swing at it.

I don't even soak it, just run it under warm water, shake it gently and let it sit for 10 minutes, while I head shave. Then run it under warm water again and it's ready.

Honestly I could sell all my expensive Simpson Manchurian's and my Shavemac's and live happily with 3-4 of this 30 mm brush.

It's very nice to see all the new brush makers popping up, Paladin, Varlet, Wolf Whsikers, Wiborg, Romera and several others, but when you can get a brush like this for a pretty fair price, I paid €180 for mine, and it's readily available, why bother hunting the best badger brush down, really ?

This brush is the best brush you can get - at least it's the bets brush I have ever used. Alongside a couple of others brushes. But I have not owned any brush, that honestly surpasses this brush performance wise. Could the Thäter handles be more flashy. Yes they could. But accept it. Thäter is all about class, style and simple elegant design. And the best softest badger hair quality in the business.

I don't know how they do it, but their badger hair is simply phenomenal. 

I still love and enjoy my Shavemac customs and my Simpson Manchurians, but this 30 mm Thäter is just so good, that it's very hard for any of my Simpson Chbby's and my Shavemac's to beat this Thäter performance and feel wise. They honestly come up short.

I have owned dozens of Rooney's and M&F's - none of these was up there with this Thäter regarding face feel, flow through and performance.

I'm not sponsored or have any relations with Thäter none what so ever.
I just know, when I use a brush, that is ÜBER SPITCHEN KLASSE - and this Thäter most certainly is the total package.

Rating:

Design: 9/10 - great thick heavy resin handle wth a coin at the bottom. Excellent looking bulb knot.
Face feel: 9,5/10 - excellent, not too soft, not too rough. Just perfect.
Flow Through: 9/10 - great release of the lather
Performance overall: 9,5/10 - it's really hard to imagine anything better out there, than this brush.

I'm flabbergasted over this brush honestly 
(Love to finally get a chance to use this new word in my English vocabulary, I have longed for a chance to use it and here it is: FLABBERGASTED    Thumbup )

24 5,971
 08-23-2016, 03:48 PM
User Info
well done Claus.  Thaders are superb and flabbergasted is a great way to express your feelings.  I was fortunate enough to get the one blade olivewood thader and its duplicates yours. just wonderful.

73 1,297
 08-23-2016, 04:02 PM
User Info
Awesome.

I hope it continues to please you. I have a couple brushes that didn't reach the point of love from me until 100 or so uses. Others that became uninteresting after the same amount of use.

Finding one you dig at the start is awesome.

You've tried enough to know what does and doesn't work.

9 1,414
 08-23-2016, 04:12 PM
User Info
I bought the same exact brush from the same exact guy last week. Have another monster 35mm on order in Germany. Thater can't be beat...

160 1,038
 08-23-2016, 04:50 PM
User Info
Congrats. I'm scoping out a second badger brush and looking at Thater 4125/2band as an option. Shavemac 2-band being my other badger, and two synthetics for that matter. All 3 in 24mm so i'm thinking to stay with 24mm on the Thater. 30mm sounds interesting though.

0 90
 08-23-2016, 05:26 PM
User Info
Great to hear that, do you think a 4125 in a fan knot would maintain the strong backbone that the bulb does? It sounds like the perfect brush for me (in 24mm) because i love backbone and soft tips.

Enjoy the brush, sir!

0 7
 08-23-2016, 05:29 PM
User Info
Thanks for a useful review Claus.  I always thought the loft on 4125 Thaters was set too high for the backbone I prefer.  However, I'm now considering a 28 or 30mm 4125, as their diameter/loft ratio is lower than on the smaller knots.

50 6,106
 08-23-2016, 06:12 PM
User Info
(08-23-2016, 05:26 PM)Nicer Things Wrote: Great to hear that, do you think a 4125 in a fan knot would maintain the strong backbone that the bulb does? It sounds like the perfect brush for me (in 24mm) because i love backbone and soft tips.

Enjoy the brush, sir!

I just purchased two Thäter 4125 2-band fans (24 mm 2-band fan and 28 mm 2-band fan - already own the 26 mm 2-band fan), and already have owned a couple of Thäter 2-band fans.

The first 2-band 24 mm fan 4125 model was a disappoiting experience. It felt too floppy.

But that was in 2013.
I have since then amassed even more experience and it also seems, that Thäter has made their 4125 models a bit more dense in their later models - or I'm just in luck since I'm getting Thäter after Thäter, that performs great and has fine backbone.

Once I test the two new 2-band fans I just bought, I will make a review of one of them.

But I have a strong preference for Thäters in bulb in 2-band, but still feel the 2-banf fan can perform great also.

I face lather 110% of my shaves.

24 5,971
 08-23-2016, 06:14 PM
User Info
(08-23-2016, 05:29 PM)TheLegalRazor Wrote: Thanks for a useful review Claus.  I always thought the loft on 4125 Thaters was set too high for the backbone I prefer.  However, I'm now considering a 28 or 30mm 4125, as their diameter/loft ratio is lower than on the smaller knots.

I own both the 4125 28 mm 2-band bulb and 4125 30 mm 2-band bulb, and both are fantastic performers !!

24 5,971
 08-23-2016, 06:21 PM
User Info
(08-23-2016, 03:48 PM)daveinsweethome Wrote: well done Claus.  Thaders are superb and flabbergasted is a great way to express your feelings.  I was fortunate enough to get the one blade olivewood thader and its duplicates yours. just wonderful.

(08-23-2016, 04:02 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: Awesome.

I hope it continues to please you. I have a couple brushes that didn't reach the point of love from me until 100 or so uses. Others that became uninteresting after the same amount of use.

(08-23-2016, 04:12 PM)nervosa1901 Wrote: I bought the same exact brush from the same exact guy last week. Have another monster 35mm on order in Germany. Thater can't be beat...

Thanks, guys.

You really should give a Thäter 4125 in bulb 2-band a chance one day.

24 5,971
 08-23-2016, 06:28 PM
User Info
(08-23-2016, 06:21 PM)CHSeifert Wrote:
(08-23-2016, 03:48 PM)daveinsweethome Wrote: well done Claus.  Thaders are superb and flabbergasted is a great way to express your feelings.  I was fortunate enough to get the one blade olivewood thader and its duplicates yours. just wonderful.

(08-23-2016, 04:02 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: Awesome.

(08-23-2016, 04:12 PM)nervosa1901 Wrote: I bought the same exact brush from the same exact guy last week. Have another monster 35mm on order in Germany. Thater can't be beat...

Thanks, guys.

You really should give a Thäter 4125 in bulb 2-band a chance one day.
[Image: NxJQh59.jpg]

160 1,038
 08-24-2016, 03:18 AM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info
Geez, I wish Claus wouldn't be so 'wishy washy' in his reviews. It's difficult to tell what he really thinks about a brush!  Biggrin  Obviously, Claus, I'm just kidding. Your reviews are fun to read and instructive even after factoring the YMMV into the review.

0 363
 08-24-2016, 03:31 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
     Claus, your review is one of unbridled enthusiasm which is not surprising knowing of your professed passion for the brand.

I considered the size 4 prior to recently purchasing a 4125/3. However, based on Thater's reputation for less than robust backbone I was concerned about excessive and uncontrollable splay with such a rotund knot.
     That said, having now used this bulb and gotten to understand it's inherent characteristics I would not be opposed to stepping up a size were I to once again procure such an item from this esteemed brand.
     I do however have a major concern. When the brush was still in its embryonic stage it was downright scritch-scratchy! The apex of the bulb felt like a $20 pure badger mass market special. The rest of the knot did indeed provide the cloud-like, euphoria inducing lathering sensation, but damn, the very tip of that knot dramatically irritated my boyishly tender facial epidermis!
     Finally after a good half dozen shaves it settled down. I've learned to soak he brush for 10 minutes prior to use, and load it like there's no tomorrow. Used as such the scritch factor fades and the brush becomes pleasurable to use.
     It's on deck for this morning's shave. Here it is shortly after break-in.

[Image: P4tiUZJ.jpg]

7 2,159
 08-24-2016, 03:33 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Sorry about that font situation above. Don't know how it happened, and I couldn't fix it, short of retyping the whole thing.

edit: I give up...

7 2,159
 08-24-2016, 05:50 AM
User Info
thought your font matched Claus's enthusiasm in it's own way.  woke me up quickly this am.

73 1,297
 08-24-2016, 09:52 AM
User Info
Claus, you've definitely got me reconsidering getting a Thater!  All of my two-band brushes are hybrids, which I have preferred to that true "german bulb" shape because they splay better.  I'm beginning to think that my impression of the 2-band bulb shape was negative because the brush I had, a Shavemac 2-band, (an LE group buy I had no influence on the specs) had a loft that was too low (26x50).  I am guessing that the higher loft of the Thaters works well with the more pronounced bulb shape that Thaters and Shavemacs seem to have in comparison to the more hybrid shape of say a Paladin.

I'd love to hear your opinions of the new Thater 4125 fans you are getting, and a comparison between how they feel while face lathering to the bulbs.

Alex

11 973
 08-24-2016, 02:59 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Thater 4125/4 is my favorite "all around" brush.

168 1,387
 08-24-2016, 04:22 PM
User Info
Nice review your making me want to try a two band bulb , I have been a fan guy since day 1 but Claus has given me reason to test this knot out, along with speick cream! Orders will be placed soon.

60 1,534
 08-24-2016, 07:49 PM
User Info
Good thread Claus

2 59
 08-24-2016, 08:30 PM
User Info
I have a three band thäter bulb (great brush), but have always wondered about the two bands - especially since I love a bit more backbone.

28 1,098