08-24-2016, 09:22 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
We all have tried many razors, DE and SE. Do you have a preference? Which one you use more frequently? I know this is a tough question for some gentlemen.

Personally, after having tried dozens of DE the last years, I am now using my SE razors most of them time and sold most of my DE.

I find the SE razors to shave closer, the feeling is better, the shaves are more comfortable. The blades are more expensive but made of superior quality comparing to most DE blades and last longer. The thickness of the blade must play a role on this.

The SE razors I have are the following:
  • OneBlade
  • Mongoose B3
  • Alumigoose V2
  • Schick Injector Lady Eversharp
  • Ever Ready 1912
  • Autostrop VC2 gold
And my DE razors:
  • Merkur open comb head+ wave stainless steel handle
  • Merkur 41C
  • Merkur 45C bakelite
  • Feather Popular
  • Gillette Tech with aluminum handle x2
  • Gillette #58 British Aristocrat, aluminum
  • Gillette G1000
  • Edwin Jagger DE89LBL
I kept these DE razors for sentimental reasons. I had at least 15 more, including some made of stainless steel. I gave some to friends, sold others.

49 1,996
 08-24-2016, 10:04 AM
User Info
I prefer the DE but I conclude it has to do with finding the right blade and there are more DE out there.

6 744
 08-24-2016, 10:08 AM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
For me it was SEs, but then I found the magical combination of BBS-1 and Wizamet Super Iridium blades.  I get VERY good shaves out of that razor with no irritation.

Eric

48 976
 08-24-2016, 10:10 AM
User Info
I prefer SE and have for years. It's a more comfortable shave. I do use DE every once in a while, but not frequently. When I do it's either a pre '21(?) Gillette or a R41.

I have too may SE razors to list. How often do I use a SE razor? I haven't used DE in probably 6 months. My hand just is pulled to SE, and lately the to ER '24. For the first 4 shaves with a fresh blade I use it in a milder razor. Lately it's been the Gem '24 for those first few shaves.

32 6,459
 08-24-2016, 10:40 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
DE. While I occasionally will enjoy my SEs and they have given me some of the best shaves of my life, I have found that they are simply not consistent for me when I use them regularly. If I put an SE down and revisit after a few weeks/months, I will get an incredible shave that first time but then the quality of the shaves will degrade (both comfort and by increased skin irritation). I think I am just really sensitive to blade degradation with SEs as a fresh blade will help. I have done several experiments, some long term "stick with it" types, and my conclusion is that DE razors are quite consistent for me whereas SEs are not. A shame really as I really like my cobra and vintage GEMs Sad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34 1,628
 08-24-2016, 10:44 AM
User Info
DE razors for me it's the price and blade selection .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Paul Bryan

0 748
 08-24-2016, 10:53 AM
User Info
Right there with you on SE razors!  Feather Artist Club blades are superior to any DE blade out there imo.

Daily drivers are Mongoose and ATT SE1, only occasionally do I pull out my one remaining DE (New Improved).

53 1,199
 08-24-2016, 11:03 AM
User Info
SEs for me.  Super efficient, smooth for both face and head.  I have a Colonial General on the way (first blemished batch) to be my first AC-style safety razor.  I got great shaves with my NEW SC, Ikon DLC OC, 101, and 102.  But the vintage SEs still shaved better for me, so I got rid of most of my DEs - only keeping the NEW SC to use (SS will likely be traded or PIFed).

SEs
Ever Ready 1914s
Ever Ready 1924 (only borrowed one, still need to get one for myself)
GEM Damaskeenes
Star 1912
GEM G-bar (did not like)
Schick E Injector (PIFed)
Schick G Injector (meh, collecting dust)

DEs
EJ DE89LBL (PIFed)
Gillette Slim (traded)
Gillette Super Speed (collecting dust)
Gillette NEW SC (my favorite DE, kept)
Maggard MR18C (sold)
Ikon DLC OC/SB on Bulldog (sold)
Ikon 101/102 on Bulldog (sold)
ATT R2 Atlas (borrowed)

Edit: forgot to add the injectors I've used

2 107
 08-24-2016, 11:09 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Good question. I too have many DE and SE razors. Realistically, I probably DE shave 8-10 times to every SE shave. Yes, SEs are closer, but I find they require substantial focus and restraint in order for me to get a comfortable shave. It's very easy for me to irritate my neck and nick my chin with my present level of SE technique. Also, SEs shave my whiskers in 1-2 passes tops, and I generally want to extend the process as long as possible, which is more easily doable with DEs.

7 2,145
 08-24-2016, 11:23 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
About the time I started shaving I was enrolled in a rather remarkable english teacher's class. We had to read literature out loud and learned a bit of oratorial skills. He would assign these tongue twisters including Sheila shaves with Schicks and drinks Shlitz beer. I totally bombed it reciting Sheila Sh*** with Sh***
and drinks SH*** trying to speak through new orthodontic braces. My humiliation lasted all day as a I slunk from class to class with friends coming up and repeating my effort.
The next morning my injector jammed halfway in and Schick joined Shlitz beer and any thought of dating anyone named Sheila, of whom I have met one.
Adolescent trauma can stay with us a lifetime.

2 3,171
 08-25-2016, 09:57 AM
User Info
My current rotation includes; wolfman wr1 sb/whr2, mergress, cobra classic, and alumigoose2/UFO kaiser. And i switch off all the time. I love them all, and they shave very closely. It all depends on the mood i am in. I dont beleive one or the other is better, just depends on the person and their technique.

10 213
 08-25-2016, 10:05 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(08-24-2016, 11:23 AM)kav Wrote: About the time I started shaving I was enrolled in a rather remarkable english teacher's class. We had to read literature out loud and learned a bit of oratorial skills. He would assign these tongue twisters including Sheila shaves with Schicks and drinks Shlitz beer. I totally bombed it reciting Sheila Sh*** with Sh***
and drinks SH*** trying to speak through new orthodontic braces. My humiliation lasted all day as a I slunk from class to class with friends coming up and repeating my effort.
The next morning my injector jammed halfway in and Schick joined Shlitz beer and any thought of dating anyone named Sheila, of whom I have met one.
Adolescent trauma can stay with us a lifetime.

Yes. I stuttered pretty badly as an adolescent and experienced all the trauma that accompanies that territory. I'm "in remission" and am able to control my dysfluencies with almost Spock-like command, resulting from a lifetime of reflection - and for many years, daily conscious awareness of interacting, speaking and speaking situations. The etiology of my situation is another thread unto itself (or not). When I was a kid my folks hadn't heard of speech therapy. They brought me to a child psychologist for a couple of months when I was 7. He taught me to play chess. In retrospect, my emerging control of my fluency began around age of 13, with the greatest motivator of all. Girls.

7 2,145
 08-25-2016, 10:07 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Sorry for the hijack.

Back to the thread!

7 2,145
 08-25-2016, 12:18 PM
User Info
A GEM Micromatic or ER Shovel head gives a dandy shave but so does the Gillette FB I have, I honestly need to start using these again as I have not used any DE/SE for almost a year, been using straights for two years and exclusively for just at one year.

6 1,337
 08-25-2016, 08:58 PM
User Info
Still trying to decide. Winky

31 8,057
 08-25-2016, 10:10 PM
User Info
I've only used DE and replaceable blade straights - but feather pro supers are fantastic blades and I'm tempted to try them in a SE.

28 1,085
 08-25-2016, 11:48 PM
User Info
I use both.

I get excellent shaves from my DE's:

ATT S1
Blackbird

But also get excellent shaves from my SE, the Oneblade.

Tried the ATT SE1 but seems that my skin don't like these type of blades.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

3 1,065
 08-26-2016, 01:55 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I became quite attached to my vintage DEs  before I ever tried an SE,  after many uses I didn't get any better shaves with it, no worse either, and I decided  not to go down that rabbit hole.

7 2,327
 08-26-2016, 02:01 AM
User Info
To me only have tried the mongoose and didn't work as I aspect, so right now only work with DE, but who knows in the future

Enviado do meu SM-N9005 através de Tapatalk

0 93
 08-26-2016, 07:36 PM
User Info
Until I tried an SE, I was a 95% straight user and 5% DE. A couple of Gems made me an 80% straight and 20% SE shaver. Cool razors that give a very close shave.

0 8