08-24-2016, 09:42 AM
  • warhawk
  • Beautiful NorthWest Florida
User Info
Hi Gents:  Hope all is well with you and your families.  So far I am loving my Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic (ivory handle) that I purchased new in June from Straight Razor Designs.  Love it.  Matter of fact . . . I recently purchased several days ago a used Simpson CH2 Synthetic (butterscotch handle) from a member but for some reason it is slightly shorter and less dense than my ivory handle that I purchased at Straight Razor Design.  Don't get me wrong ... I like it but prefer the synthetic knot on my ivory handle.

So... my question to you gent:  Can I contact Simpson and get a new synthetic knot?  If so can Simpson do that for me?  I have never done this before.  Thanks in advance.  Your help is much appreciated.

WARHAWK

12 333
 08-24-2016, 10:49 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I think that the Simpson synths are exclusively their's, unlike some of the other popular artificial knots.  I'm guessing they only way to go about it would have them do it - since they've never been a purveyor of handleless knots.  Mark Watterson at Simpsons' would be the one to ask -

But, I'd suggest keeping both for a trial period.  You may find the shorter knot preferable after a while .. I can't count the number of items that I wish I had back after they are irretrievably gone.

45 492
 08-24-2016, 11:31 AM
User Info
Simpson does not sell its knots.  I suppose you could ask Simpson if they would re-knot your brush.  Even if they agree to do it, I'm not sure it would be worth the cost to you.  Synthetic knots do have some variations, although not as much as badger knots.  I have three Chubby 2 synthetics, two ivory and one butterscotch.  The three knots have minor variations, but not enough to affect their performance for me.

51 6,435
 08-24-2016, 12:45 PM
  • warhawk
  • Beautiful NorthWest Florida
User Info
Thanks for your responses.  I think I will keep it and just do practice runs to make it work for me.  I do love the butterscotch handle.  I'll keep you posted in two weeks.

WARHAWK

12 333
 08-25-2016, 02:05 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
The ivory chubby 2 has a higher loft than the earlier versions with the colored handles.  The ivory chubby is really a different brush.  I have an early model in jade and I enjoy using it, but it is a different experience from any of my other brushes.

19 566
 08-25-2016, 04:43 PM
User Info
54mm was the loft on the prototypes that were sent out for review and highly lauded. The first production models were released with much shorter lofts, and that was met by some criticism. The factory eventually raised the lofts a bit, but 54mm is still the exception and not the rule. I suppose if you like a wall of badger with stiffer backbone and not a lot of splay you'll appreciate the shorter versions that are still around. But given the chance to open up a wee bit the brush performs exceptionally well (a "different experience" as noted in the post above), and those that characterize the C2 as the best synthetic around are not far off the mark.

29 1,776