08-25-2016, 09:57 PM
User Info
One I haven't heard about before - despite giving five times the shaves or more - do anyone know more about them?

3 4,670
 08-26-2016, 01:04 AM
User Info
The Pal Adjustable Injector Razor came out in 1962, and I started shaving in 1965.  It was my first razor, and it remains one of my favorite razors.  
I still own one, and use it for more than half of my shaves.  I also own and use a Schick type E injector, and a Gem MMOC, both from the late '30s.  
My modern razors are the ATT SE-1, and most recently The General by Colonial Razors.  I used to have a Cobra and a Mongoose but sold them, 
and I am looking forward to trying the OneBlade soon.  I no longer own any DE razors.  The Pal Adjustable and the ATT SE-1 are my two favorite razors; the ones that I use the most.  In my opinion, the Pal Adjustable Injector is an excellent and a beautiful razor, that mostly goes unacknowledged.

14 224
 08-26-2016, 03:36 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
The PAL is a neat design, I've used mine just a bit, preferring the plasticy Schick Type M's shave when I do injector.  There is also a manufacturing defect with the PALs that was apparently somewhat common, involving blade alignment issues that I can't recall exactly.

45 490
 08-26-2016, 05:00 AM
User Info
(08-26-2016, 03:36 AM)garyg Wrote: The PAL is a neat design, I've used mine just a bit, preferring the plasticy Schick Type M's shave when I do injector.  There is also a manufacturing defect with the PALs that was apparently somewhat common, involving blade alignment issues that I can't recall exactly.
I've heard of said defect but never seen one, but I have seen seized up adjusting mechanisms, however.  
The Pal is a more aggressive razor than the Schick, and gives me a closer shave, but does not accept twin blades.  
Only with a twin blade does a Schick give me as close a shave as a Pal does with a single.  
I like Pal adjustables better than Schick adjustables, but prefer the Schick E type over the Pal Injectomatic.
All a matter of taste, of course.

14 224
 08-26-2016, 05:15 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(08-25-2016, 09:57 PM)WegianWarrior Wrote: One I haven't heard about before - despite giving five times the shaves or more - do anyone know more about them?

That razor was (is) the first non-electric razor I ever used, and I have noted it before on this board.  My father used an electric, and when I started needing to shave, I bought myself an electric (a Ronson branded Braun) in the 1950s.  When I was in college, sometime about 1962, I bought the PAL stainless adjustable as an objet d’art, but I did not actually use it for, you know, shaving until several years later. 

When I went to Japan for two years, I carried the PAL with me, in case my electric shaver did not work on the 100 volt, 50 Hz, mains electricity where I would be living.  (Turned out, the electric shaver ran slowly, but was otherwise fine, so I used it throughout.)  When I returned to the United States, in 1968, at age 26, I was booked on a P&O Orient Lines ship that would be on the ocean for two weeks and had kinky mains outlets with strange plugs and voltages, so I purchased a pack of Schick injector blades and an aerosol can of Noxzema goo in Tokyo, and had my first-ever wet shave on the Pacific Ocean somewhere east of Yokohama.  

My first shaves with the PAL injector were, frankly, awful; note that I never had shaved with any kind of bare blade before that, so I had not acquired any technique whatsoever.  I happily returned to my electric shaverthe day that I got back to North America.  IIRC, I never bought a second pack of injector blades.  

Within weeks of my return, however, I also stopped using the electric shaver that I had been using for a dozen or so years; after two weeks of daily wet shaving with the PAL, and rinsing off Noxzema goo after the injector razor shave, when I returned to shaving “dry” with the Ronson electric shaver, my face felt less clean than it had on the trip across the Pacific.  So I bought a low-end (not DE) razor that Gillette was flogging at the time (a Techmatic continuous band razor), a drugstore boar brush, and some Williams shave soap, and I was permanently on the road of wet shaving.  

But I still have the stainless PAL adjustable injector razor.  A couple of years ago, I pulled it out of the box in the closet, and — as I had in the same box a not-fully-exhausted pack of Schick injector blades dating from the late 1960s (probably the same blades that I bought in Tokyo) — I put a blade into the PAL and shaved with it.  The shave was just as awful as I recalled from my trip across the Pacific all those years ago; but the cause may have been as much the fault of possible corrosion of the blade over four and a half decades exposed to the air as to any other cause.

1 1,109
 08-26-2016, 07:07 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I found the discussion of the defect on the Other shaving forum, it has been awhile, the picture obtained from there illustrates the issue with some of the PALs having a crooked bevel above the blade edge.  The example on the left .. I have not seen one myself, but have only held two different ones.

[Image: wiki_asset.php?pid=2496&d=1418688433]

The source is at http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Image:Pal..._error_jpg

45 490
 08-26-2016, 08:15 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(08-26-2016, 07:07 AM)garyg Wrote: I found the discussion of the defect on the Other shaving forum, it has been awhile, the picture obtained from there illustrates the issue with some of the PALs having a crooked bevel above the blade edge.  The example on the left .. I have not seen one myself, but have only held two different ones.

Those two (plastic?) razors are very different from the stainless steel adjustable injector razors that WegianWarrior inquired about and the one that I own.

1 1,109
 08-26-2016, 08:34 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
Not plastic I'm guessing the color wash was done to highlight the difference between the two razors pictured.  Unless I missed it and there are two different PAL Adjustable Injectors that were produced.  The undersides, as shown, on the ones I have seen were plastic, the stainless being confined to the reverse/top side of the razor.  I have one in the case with the dummy blade still present that looks just like the two pictured

(08-26-2016, 08:15 AM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(08-26-2016, 07:07 AM)garyg Wrote: I found the discussion of the defect on the Other shaving forum, it has been awhile, the picture obtained from there illustrates the issue with some of the PALs having a crooked bevel above the blade edge.  The example on the left .. I have not seen one myself, but have only held two different ones.

Those two (plastic?) razors are very different from the stainless steel adjustable injector razors that WegianWarrior inquired about and the one that I own.

45 490
 08-26-2016, 04:46 PM
User Info
[Image: rS4GN3c.jpg]

The PAL Adjustable is one of my favorite injector razors. Introduced in 1962 it was the first adjustable injector razor (the Schick adjustable did not come along until 1965) and one of the first, if not the first razor to be made mostly of stainless steel. The grip is plastic, everything else is stainless.

[Image: 1c5JNFE.jpg]

The PAL is fairly demanding regarding shaving angle, and can be quite aggressive on the upper settings. There is definitely a learning curve, but once mastered the razor is capable of delivering outstanding shaves.

There were indeed two model variations.

[Image: l3uB4iX.jpg]

Note the difference in the bevel above the blade - that is the only real difference. The one with the shorter bevel (right) is believed to be the later model. I presently have one of each and I can discern no difference in the shaves, although some claim otherwise.

The adjustment mechanism is unique. The blade stops extend down from the cap, and the guard actually moves in and out underneath the blade. The guard is pushed by spring tension toward the most aggressive (H) setting. Because of this the correct way to use the PAL is to turn the adjustment to the H setting and then dial it back down to the desired setting. It is also probably a good idea to store the razor with the adjustment at the H setting.

This mechanism must be kept clean in order to function properly. I think that razors with the "flaw" may have simply been gunked up. I've had several pass through my hands and all worked fine after a good cleaning.

In addition to being an outstanding shaver once mastered, the PAL Adjustable is one of the coolest looking razors around. Its retro-futuristic good looks have inspired everything from the Cobra Classic to the new Single Edge from Supply Provision.

--Bob

0 185
 08-26-2016, 05:15 PM
User Info
Lovely shaver.

8 1,210
 08-26-2016, 09:41 PM
User Info
Thank you guys Smile

3 4,670