08-26-2016, 03:03 PM
User Info
I've been shaving my head for about 10 years now, but just recently switched to using a safety razor. Not only is it less expensive than buying those commercial cartridges but I get a much closer shave...which of course is the whole point. My question though is based on the tools of the trade. My last two shaves have left my head looking like a crime scene. I've tried a Merkur slant razor and a Futur (both of which I used to use on my face before I grew my fabulous beard) with Persona Lab Prep blades. Any other suggestions on hardware or is this a "learn by blood" scenario?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 20
 08-26-2016, 04:09 PM
User Info
I've been shaving my head for 16 years.  While only a straight or DE touches my face, I use a cartridge on my head while I shower.  I find that the cartridge is faster, shaves me just as close as a DE, and I experience no cuts.   For a long time I used a Dorco Pace 3, but recently switched to Harry's.

48 5,717
 08-27-2016, 03:23 PM
  • flintlock
  • Who's for the camp at Cambridge...
  • Hamilton, NJ
User Info
Hey, I to have been shaving my head for about 16 years also and have found that by using a Track 2 first than use a DE for the second pass I get a really good shave.

Anthony

0 35
 08-31-2016, 08:39 AM
User Info
I've had a lot of success with aggressive razors on my head.  That doesn't work for everyone, and may not work for you.  If you're used to carts, then pressure may be an issue while you are starting out.  Even if you're used to the DE on the face, it's different on the head, and you have to control the weight more.  I like an adjustable for the dome.  You might also try some different blades.

1 296
 08-31-2016, 02:27 PM
User Info
I started with a Futur for my first head shave and boy was that a mistake.  have now settled on occasional de  all types;  followed by a simple mach 3 to finish up.  blood free event now.

73 1,262
 08-31-2016, 09:28 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Probably the pressure like gwsmallwood said. I find it actually easier to shave the head then the face, no need to stretch skin or anything. I use most of the razors I have, from straights to Feather DX to DE's to SE's.

28 1,433