08-26-2016, 05:42 PM
User Info
What can you tell from a picture of a badger brush - especially if the actual brush your looking at?  Can you tell anything about the quality of the hair?  Can you determine anything at all?

3 131
 08-26-2016, 06:17 PM
User Info
I like bulb knots, and photos help to show whether they are classical, hybrid, symmetrical, etc. You can also get an idea of how many black tips show, and photos can illustrate hooked-tips. Sometimes photos can show the difference in thickness of the hair (e.g., Manchurian/HMW hair should be thicker). Loft and bloom are often better demonstrated in a photo vs. pure specs. 

Paladin regularly posts photos of the actual brushes during sales events. Although I've yet to be fortunate enough to land a brush, I do pay close attention to their pictures while trying to buy. I'd love it of every brush maker did this, but that's not realistic. 

Pictures provide you more information, but at the end of the day - nothing beats using a brush.

29 1,207
 08-26-2016, 06:30 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
If it's the usurped photo of a previously owned brush like some M&F some time back you can tell the dealer where to put his brushes.

2 3,171
 08-27-2016, 04:31 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Are you referring to a vendor who posts photos of his inventory?

I would be interested in knot symmetry, density and height (and to a lesser extent, color).

If the brush speaks to you ("pssst, Tex, BUY ME!!!) click Add to Cart.

7 2,359
 08-27-2016, 08:11 AM
User Info
(08-27-2016, 04:31 AM)chazt Wrote: Are you referring to a vendor who posts photos of his inventory?

I would be interested in knot symmetry, density and height (and to a lesser extent, color).

If the brush speaks to you ("pssst, Tex, BUY ME!!!) click Add to Cart.

Actually yes but it would be the same principle for BST brushes.

Unfortunately there's a bunch that whisper to me to buy them!

3 131
 08-27-2016, 07:18 PM
User Info
Many points from above are what I was thinking. Looking at what the color of the hair is like, not only the tips but the color of the various bands on the shaft. You can still get a nice, soft brush that has some brown/black tips poking through the top but it is nice when you can tell the source had some nice sorting done.

I also like when you get the post bloom pictures that show after a nice lathering and after the water has evaporated out. This is helpful if your looking for a brush with some splay and you can get an idea of the knots tendency to open up. I do appreciate some nice over the top photos to get a bit of an idea of the density as well as if their is anything you can tell from the ends of the tips.

81 1,368
 08-27-2016, 09:21 PM
User Info
^^ it's pure badger and AOS - so the picture tells me a lot.

29 1,207