08-28-2016, 12:45 PM
User Info
I want to do a story about "double duty" shaving products. Proraso pre/post and Trumper's Skin Food come to mind immediately; Baxter has a pre/post product as well and Niche' offers a "3-in-1" shampoo/shower/shave product (in the US. Wingman has a similar product in the UK). What else should I look at?

0 48
 08-28-2016, 12:48 PM
User Info
Arko and other shave sticks (such as GzD and Derdy) can be used for pre-shave face wash in my experience - even if not labelled as such.

3 4,373
 08-28-2016, 01:25 PM
User Info
Myrsol Antesol and Emulsion

Maybe Panna Crema Nuavia

79 1,296
 08-28-2016, 01:31 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Alum comes to mind. As we know it's a natural antiperspirant. I use one for post shaving and use a different one on my feet (yes). Goodbye hoof-related bromidrosis Biggrin

4 1,915
 08-28-2016, 02:24 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
PannaCrema Nuavia. I was surprised at the thought of using the excess lather as a post shave, but when I tried it, it worked extremely well. According to their site, you can also use as a pre-shave although I have never tried that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34 1,628
 08-28-2016, 02:42 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Gentlemen, you can use the excess lather with every soap or cream you use. It's not something new. It works indeed. I know guys doing this, including me, a long time before Pannacrema recommended it. There are too many soaps nowadays with great ingredients that noorish the skin leaving it smooth.

49 1,938
 08-28-2016, 05:01 PM
User Info
Crappy-lathering soap/Shower soap... Biggrin

39 3,872
 08-28-2016, 05:47 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(08-28-2016, 02:42 PM)nikos.a Wrote: Gentlemen, you can use the excess lather with every soap or cream you use. It's not something new. It works indeed. I know guys doing this, including me, a long time before Pannacrema recommended it. There are too many soaps nowadays with great ingredients that noorish the skin leaving it smooth.

I have heard of others doing this with other soaps as well, with great success. I still haven't tried it yet with a soap other than Nuavia...Smile

34 1,628
 08-28-2016, 06:57 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Read post, O.K. take a deep breath, Mantic Himself is posting a question and I can impress with my deep insights. Six hours later and several trips to the bathroom examining my kit. I sound like a episode of Beevis and Butthead going UHHHHH like a deathbed centenarian who won't let go. WATER! yes, it's a product we pay for and have discussed in relation to lathering. We heat our skuttles, lather, rinse brush,razor and face. Mantic is probably putting me on ignore, better delete this and try again. UHHHHH

2 3,171
 08-28-2016, 07:02 PM
User Info
(08-28-2016, 06:57 PM)kav Wrote: Read post, O.K. take a deep breath, Mantic Himself is posting a question and I can impress with my deep insights.  Six hours later and several trips to the bathroom examining my kit. I sound like a episode of Beevis and Butthead going UHHHHH like a deathbed centenarian who won't let go. WATER! yes, it's a product we pay for and have discussed in relation to  lathering. We heat our skuttles, lather, rinse brush,razor and face. Mantic is probably putting me on ignore, better delete this and try again. UHHHHH

HEH HEH HEH...he said "won't let go"

[Image: beavis-butt-head.gif]

0 48
 08-28-2016, 07:08 PM
User Info
(08-28-2016, 01:31 PM)chazt Wrote: Alum comes to mind. As we know it's a natural antiperspirant. I use one for post shaving and use a different one on my feet (yes). Goodbye hoof-related bromidrosis Biggrin

I thought of this too but I'm conflicted.  On the one hand, yes you can absolutely use alum as an antiperspirant in addition to being an after shave treatment.  On the other, I'm not sure I'd want to use the same "rock" for both activities, which is kind of what I'm going for in the article.

0 48
 08-28-2016, 07:25 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Can products perform double duty? I used to get into arguments over leather care products after curating the western tack collection warehoused at the now closed Southwest Museum. Many leather care products claim to be cleaners and conditioners. I argued you can't remove grime while adding oils, it being like washing in mud. My brain can't multitask and I question asking product to. It's like TOBS one scent strength fits all-and doesn't.

2 3,171
 08-28-2016, 07:59 PM
User Info
Heya mantic.

Witch hazel can be used as toner for your face with cotton balls to remove dirt and grime, or as an aftershave.

10 1,128
 08-28-2016, 08:05 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(08-28-2016, 12:45 PM)mantic59 Wrote: I want to do a story about "double duty" shaving products.  Proraso pre/post and Trumper's Skin Food come to mind immediately; Baxter has a pre/post product as well and Niche' offers a "3-in-1" shampoo/shower/shave product (in the US.  Wingman has a similar product in the UK).  What else should I look at?

Preshave product:  used in the shower after wetting beard area; also a first class hair conditioner.
Different preshave product:  apply thin layer before lathering; do not rinse off; lather on top; also good for minimizing acne and for general facial cleansing.
Both preshave products may be used for the same shave.

And:  Equally good as a brushless shave cream and with a brush and bowl.

0 1,049
 08-28-2016, 08:16 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Makes note to proofread potential double entendres replying to Mantic. I must also call attention to his 'junior member' status. I think, given his online regard in the greater shaving community something with a little more gravitas is in order.

2 3,171
 08-28-2016, 08:42 PM
User Info
(08-28-2016, 05:01 PM)primotenore Wrote: Crappy-lathering soap/Shower soap... Biggrin

Piggy backing on what Primo says here. Each product is designed for a specific purpose. Like the shampoo/conditioner combo out on the market. It can do one or the other  kinda good but it cant do both in excellence.

Then I thought about it, in general terms. Isnt all shave soap really a preshave treatment? I mean you apply lather before you shave so it is in essence a Pre...Shave treatment already.

I see the attributes of leaving left over lather on your shaved face. Lots of goodies our artisans put in soap to pamper our face. Might as well reap some additional benefits from it.

I guess my argument would be AGAINST marketing that would suggest a product doing more than it was actually designed for. Try as I might, my ax can split wood in a pinch, but it wont take the place of my splitting maul. Using my maul to cut down a tree is just asking too much of it, and it just wasnt designed for that.

JMO and all that.

8 169
 08-29-2016, 04:25 AM
User Info
Kramer used to shave with butter...just sayin'  Wink

39 3,872
 08-29-2016, 04:59 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(08-28-2016, 07:08 PM)mantic59 Wrote:
(08-28-2016, 01:31 PM)chazt Wrote: Alum comes to mind. As we know it's a natural antiperspirant. I use one for post shaving and use a different one on my feet (yes). Goodbye hoof-related bromidrosis Biggrin

I thought of this too but I'm conflicted.  On the one hand, yes you can absolutely use alum as an antiperspirant in addition to being an after shave treatment.  On the other, I'm not sure I'd want to use the same "rock" for both activities, which is kind of what I'm going for in the article.

They're cheap enough to use two different blocks. As stated, I use a separate piece for each purpose.

I understand not wanting to use the same alum block for dual purposes. Ewww.

4 1,915
 08-29-2016, 10:12 AM
User Info
(08-28-2016, 07:59 PM)1Geralt Wrote: Heya mantic.

Witch hazel can be used as toner for your face with cotton balls to remove dirt and grime, or as an aftershave.

As a matter of fact I use witch hazel myself.  I'll definitely add that to the list.  Smile

0 48
 08-29-2016, 03:08 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Myrsol Antesol >>>  pre & post shave
Santa Maria Novella Analcolica Balm >>> pre & post
Santa Maria Novella Acqua Soave >>> pre & post toner
Meissner Tremonia Pre-shave oils are designed for post shave as well.
Mike's Natural Shampoo bars can be used as shampoo and body bars.
MDC Huile Vegetale >>> pre & post

159 1,316