08-28-2016, 02:37 PM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info
Okay, gentlemen, which of these is the ne plus ultra, and why? Highly nuanced answers expected and encouraged. On your mark, get set, GO!

0 363
 08-28-2016, 02:48 PM
User Info
Oh you...

MdC just works and works for a very long time, however Nuavia gives me a better post shave experience and of course with Nuavia comes it's legendary robust scent. I would say Nuavia is the better soap, however for some reason I still prefer the old school charm and simplicity of MdC. 

Ughh. This is hard beamon.

10 1,126
 08-28-2016, 02:50 PM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
MDC:

Simple ingredients, drying, but nice presentation.

Nuavia:

Simple ingredients, nice post shave, average soap, eulogized and blessed by those unwilling to admit they were taken to the cleaners.

42 1,041
 08-28-2016, 03:11 PM
User Info
Both fine soaps both display nicely both have a part in the soap world. Neither is better at everything, they both have highs.

59 1,404
 08-28-2016, 03:14 PM
User Info
Both fine soaps that I enjoy, but Nuavia wins with better post-shave, and a SLIGHTLY better scent (either Blu or Rossa, have not tried the new one).

52 1,175
 08-28-2016, 03:15 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I've only tried Nuavia but gifted an entire MDC. Peripheral issues are price point (that has never stopped us) and the delicate ceramic container of Nuavia VS
the very robust plastic bowl of MDC. Once upon a shave we lathered, shaved, washed up and maybe slapped on a AS. Now it's preshaves and post balms for
many and post use issues of drying or irritation not given opportunity to be experienced. My face gets along with MDC. If a soap performs and has a peasant scent it's a plus. If it doesn't I can buy incense or candles down at the New Age bookstore.

2 3,171
 08-28-2016, 03:17 PM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
Easy call - Nuavia.

It doesn't dry out my skin like MDC.  I find the performance is tops, very slick, and hydrating, and the post shave feel is fantastic.  MDC is so-so in the post shave department.  I also like the presentation and scent of Blu and Rossa, although the MDC (original) is also great.

Eric

46 929
 08-28-2016, 03:32 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(08-28-2016, 02:50 PM)VTMAX Wrote: MDC:

Simple ingredients, drying, but nice presentation.

Nuavia:

Simple ingredients, nice post shave, average soap, eulogized and blessed by those unwilling to admit they were taken to the cleaners.

That's not very accurate. If that was true, no one would buy a second or a third one. That means something.
At least they don't smell ammonia... Angel

To be on topic, I tried recently the MDC twice, but I have two Nuavias, the Rossa and the Blu. I find the latter to be better in terms of post-shave feeling and scent, which is subjective.

49 1,937
 08-28-2016, 03:37 PM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Nick, the physical soap (Nuavia Blu & Rossa) including the container is extremely over priced when one factors in performance.

To answer the OP's question...neither.

42 1,041
 08-28-2016, 03:53 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(08-28-2016, 03:37 PM)VTMAX Wrote: Nick, the physical soap (Nuavia Blu & Rossa) including the container is extremely over priced when one factors in performance.

To answer the OP's question...neither.

Of course it's over-priced, no doubt on that. If someone says the opposite, in my opinion he's wrong. The container costs more than the soap itself. The fact that they tried to convince us they made the best soap ever is another discussion that will never end.

That doesn't mean that the soap is not good. I enjoy it every time I use it, but I also enjoy using the Savon de Volcans, the CRSW Citrus and others. These two are better than Nuavia in terms of performance and cost less than half.

49 1,937
 08-28-2016, 03:56 PM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Agreed Nick. Hey, why are you still awake?!

42 1,041
 08-28-2016, 03:59 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(08-28-2016, 03:56 PM)VTMAX Wrote: Agreed Nick. Hey, why are you still awake?!

haha! I'm on vacation!

49 1,937
 08-28-2016, 04:02 PM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

42 1,041
 08-28-2016, 05:55 PM
User Info
I think both are over-hyped. I can think of a good number of soaps that perform just as good or better and each at significantly less cost.
But, if I had to choose between the two I would pick Nuavia every time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

73 2,196
 08-28-2016, 06:56 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I agree with Nathan that they are both over-hyped. I couldn't stand the scent of either Nuavia or Blu, and sold both on B/S/T as there are many other soaps that perform as well for me. If they came in an average plastic tub at a reasonable price and were readily available, they wouldn't be raved about. When PannaCrema was in the small plastic tubs and was of very limited supply, it was touted in the same way, but once it became readily available it was no longer talked about and sales plummeted. I expect MdC would probably be the same way. In my opinion, neither is ne plus ultra.

38 5,026
 08-28-2016, 07:19 PM
User Info
(08-28-2016, 02:37 PM)beamon Wrote: Okay, gentlemen, which of these is the ne plus ultra, and why? Highly nuanced answers expected and encouraged. On your mark, get set, GO!

Tough pick. I enjoy both. Have both MDC scents and both are a joy to use.
Nuavia is phenomenal, probably my favorite of the two brands by a slight margin. Rossa has a divine scent. If you are an Oud fan, can't beat Nuavia Rossa. Cushion, slickness, ease of lather, and post shave are all top notch.
For me MDC is special. It lathers instantly, creates a really nice thick lather that no other soap in my experience can match. Scents may not be special for most people but they are so well done. The fougere is VERY pleasant and fun to use on summer days.
Hard to pick between the two... Nuavia Rossa wins for me

9 769
 08-28-2016, 07:20 PM
User Info
I have not tried Nuavia and expect not to unless it's offered without the ceramic jar that I don't care for or want. Also, the descriptions of post shave feel, to me, are a turn off.

I have oily skin.

So, the MdC is refreshing and excellent with my complexion. The scents are not offensive, but they are not my favourites. Performance is wonderful. With enough product and water in the mix, I find it exceedingly slick and luxurious. I think most use far and away much less of this soap than needed to achieve ideal consistency to the lather simply because a very small amount really will explode into foam with little effort. More is better here.

Having not tried the former I won't say is better the latter.

I do prefer other soaps for the money though.

C&S is one. Saponifico Varesino Felce is another.

Love these two.

I have also read that some of WSP products are dead ringers to MdC formula and come with much more agreeable scents and price tags. I intend to pick some up one day.

You may need to buy both for yourself beamon and then tell us which you prefer.

7 1,310
 08-28-2016, 07:57 PM
User Info
I guess I've been fleeced & I'm too ignorant &/or proud to know any better. About all I use these days is one of the 3 Nuàvias I own. I happen to love the scents and with oily skin this formula is amazing for post shave; doesn't leave me tacky nor dried out, simply perfect. 

MdC I've tired of the scents and that may very well happen with Nuàvia as well. Time will tell. For now, however, I find them well worth the cost and not over-hyped at all. 

Sorry to barge in out from under my rock. I'll go back to my blissful state of ignorance now.

31 8,054
 08-28-2016, 09:02 PM
User Info
If I HAD to pick between the two.  Nuavia for the post shave; MdC can be a bit drying.

For cushion - MdC.  The stuff explodes on you.
For slickness - Awash.  Both are relatively water stable in my opinion.
For longevity/Loading - MdC. It's SUPER dense and a little goes a long way.
For scent - Nuavia Rossa (but that's totally YMMV)

18 642
 08-29-2016, 01:24 AM
User Info
Et pourquoi pas La savonniere Du Moulin?

0 9