08-28-2016, 02:55 PM
User Info
Who do you think makes the best classic pique mesh polo shirt?

When Lacoste was made in France I thought they had the best pique mesh fabric.  Now it made in Asia and not of the same quality.

Today I think its between Polo Ralph Lauren and Brooks Brothers.  Polo has more colors and 3 different fits.  Still I think Brooks Brothers has the best mesh  pique fabric.  Feels and looks best after washing.

What do you think.

1 53
 08-28-2016, 05:27 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I like the fit and feel of Tommy Bahama cotton polo shirts.  They're not inexpensive, but I've been able to buy mine at a discount when I'm patient.

7 934
 08-28-2016, 06:01 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
For those of us that are not in the know, what is "pique mesh?"

60 1,626
 08-28-2016, 06:19 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
A high performance, stretchy and breathable fabric that costs a lot and doesn't work any better than Goretex. Real Polo players use long staple egyptian cotton.

2 3,171
 08-28-2016, 06:28 PM
User Info
Vineyard Vines, Brooks Brothers

13 524
 08-29-2016, 12:52 PM
User Info
Kav have you purchased any Goretex clothing.  A lot more expensive than a Brooks $65 polo or a Ralph Lauren Polo at $85.  And goretex is really not a comfortable fabric.  It put into garments like ski jackets or golf shoes to make them breathable but waterproof

Never saw a goretex polo shirt

Lots of high tech sweat wicking synthetic available for golf and tennis buth the are polyester

1 53
 08-29-2016, 01:05 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
I owned a first generation Goretex Anorak. My present, 30 year old Anorak is made of British Ventile Cloth.

2 3,171
 08-29-2016, 02:04 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(08-29-2016, 01:05 PM)kav Wrote: I owned a first generation Goretex Anorak. My present, 30 year old Anorak is made of British Ventile Cloth.

Although this is off topic I must come to the defence of Goretex.  I've worn Goretex garments for over 25 years and have been very satisfied with their performance.  One real test I put my Goretex rain suit to was a day long hike across Dartmoor in a driving rain,which did not let up for a moment; my Goretex did not let me down.  When the jacket of said 23 year old r rain suit started to wet-out on the shoulders Goretex replaced the entire rain suit at no cost to me and no limit on the cost under their lifetime guarantee.

7 934
 08-29-2016, 02:13 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
I took a woodcraft course with Mors Kochanski. I partnered up with a Quebecois as we looked like B&W photos out of National Geographic in a rainbow of contemporary reds, cobalt blues and international orange. Mors made a telling comment that there are times a wise woodsman stays in the cabin by the fire regardless of equippment. I do own a modern Wiggy bag. Everything else is 'old school' like my shaving kit and tempered by that lesson.

2 3,171
 08-29-2016, 02:26 PM
User Info
Like I said waterproof garments.  How does that relate to cotton pique mesh polo shirts?

1 53
 09-04-2016, 11:40 PM
User Info
I moved away from the cotton pique polos due to excessive pilling over time. I'm firmly in the polyester/Cotten blends camp now. Same price as the more expensive brands, but better longevity.

29 1,207
 09-04-2016, 11:50 PM
User Info
(09-04-2016, 11:40 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: I moved away from the cotton pique polos due to excessive pilling over time. I'm firmly in the polyester/Cotten blends camp now. Same price as the more expensive brands, but better longevity.

I agree. Polyester do last longer than cotton polos and it feels much cooler during the summer.

31 739
 09-05-2016, 08:13 AM
User Info
While Lacoste may be the original "Polo" shirt, I find them shorter through the body than RL's polos. I much prefer the fit of the RL polos. They are made from American Pima cotton, but yeah, the excessive pilling over the course of a year or two renderers them unfit to wear as a "nice" shirt.

The vintage RL stuff from the 80's and 90's didn't seem to have that problem.

0 21
 09-05-2016, 08:21 AM
User Info
I have 4 or 5 cotton pique polo shirts (various colors) made by Orvis -- extremely dense and durable. I own shirts that are cooler, but I don't own any that look better or wear longer than these.

[Image: s-l300.jpg]

5 395
 09-05-2016, 08:41 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
I refuse to buy any of the current line up as they are all made in Asia of inferior quality. 

You know, I can understand if these companies want to save money by having their garments made in Asia.  But they should pass that savings on to the customer.  I refuse to buy a Vineyard Vines or Brooks Brothers shirt for $100+ that is made in China.

Most days I wear a Gitman Brothers buttondown Sportshirt.  Handmade in USA of 100% cotton for the same prices as the other "Made in China" crowd.

169 1,424
 09-05-2016, 06:00 PM
User Info
(09-05-2016, 08:13 AM)PLANofMAN Wrote: While Lacoste may be the original "Polo" shirt, I find them shorter through the body than RL's polos. I much prefer the fit of the RL polos. They are made from American Pima cotton, but yeah, the excessive pilling over the course of a year or two renderers them unfit to wear as a "nice" shirt.

The vintage RL stuff from the 80's and 90's didn't seem to have that problem.

I never had piling and I have gone threadbare on old LeCoste.  True polo had a loger back tail.  LeCoste is even front and back

1 53
 09-21-2016, 07:35 AM
User Info
(09-05-2016, 08:41 AM)Steelman Wrote: I refuse to buy any of the current line up as they are all made in Asia of inferior quality. 

You know, I can understand if these companies want to save money by having their garments made in Asia.  But they should pass that savings on to the customer.  I refuse to buy a Vineyard Vines or Brooks Brothers shirt for $100+ that is made in China.

Most days I wear a Gitman Brothers buttondown Sportshirt.  Handmade in USA of 100% cotton for the same prices as the other "Made in China" crowd.

I don't know how companies like Gitman Brothers survive -- their chambray workshirt costs $169.00. I would like to support American manufacturers, but that is too much for my budget!

less than $170 shirt

I would have to say that a similar shirt made by Dickies (imported) for $24.99 makes the Gitman price hard to justify.

less than $25 shirt

5 395
 09-21-2016, 09:26 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
(09-21-2016, 07:35 AM)opsimath Wrote:
(09-05-2016, 08:41 AM)Steelman Wrote: I refuse to buy any of the current line up as they are all made in Asia of inferior quality. 

I don't know how companies like Gitman Brothers survive -- their chambray workshirt costs $169.00. I would like to support American manufacturers, but that is too much for my budget!

less than $170 shirt

I would have to say that a similar shirt made by Dickies (imported) for $24.99 makes the Gitman price hard to justify.

less than $25 shirt

They have sales 3-4 times a year when that shirt (and similar shirts) will be $99. Get on their mailing list for alerts. 

I agree that $169 is too much to pay for any shirt. But I feel they're worth $99

169 1,424