08-28-2016, 03:06 PM
User Info
Where are the High End Brushes?  They have gone away.

Rooney ith the Block Letters has disappeared.

Morris & Forndran  Lee no longer takes new clients and is semi retired.  Hardly anyone pots receiving a new M & F Brush

Wiborg  Florian has apparently stopped working.  No answer to emails.  No product .

Even on the secondary market they are a rarity.

The Varlet   Closed waiting list.  Almost no product available on secondary market.  How many did he ever make?  Not many

Paladin  No longer uses M & F knots  Released about 50 in June and 50 or so in April.  Nothing since.  Not that many in previous years.

Shavemac and Thater  Reportedly a notch below the above    All you want for $100 to $200

Rod Neep, Rudy Vey , Brad Sears  A nothch or 2 below  Use TGN and WSP knots  All you want

Simpson  All you ant but and $300 plus for 2 banded brushes Mark has a monoloy

So how long does it take to make a brush/  How do Paladin and the Varlet survive making so few brushes  Is it just a hobby?

Why is there such a shortage of the real high end brushes?

What do you think?

1 53
 08-28-2016, 03:18 PM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
It's a side gig except for the over priced Isle of Man Simpsons.

People move on in their lives and the synthetics haven't made it any easier.

42 1,041
 08-28-2016, 03:23 PM
User Info
I don't know where to start here... First I'd like to ask if you have experienced any of these brushes yourself. I know people who have recently received new M&F brushes. Where do you get your information that Shavemac and Thater are "reportedly" a notch below? I own several of each and don't find them to be a "notch below" anything. Do you even know what a 2-band brush is? If you did, you'd know full well that Mark doesn't have a monopoly on 2-band (or anything else).

157 1,016
 08-28-2016, 03:28 PM
User Info
Not sure about your other assessments but Wiborg doesn't reply, I certainly hear you on that.

You can still find M&F's. Excellent dream brushes to be sure. I love synthetics but I get hypnotized whenever I see an M&F. Lol

10 1,126
 08-28-2016, 03:33 PM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Shavemac and Thater perform better than all my Simpsons, either those made in the Irish Sea or back at Nimmer Mill in Somerset. No offense to Ben74 and his endless photos but they do. Great companies those two.

Lee, Rudy's handles, the very new Paladin, Florian, Aldo, all have other things to pay the mortgage. And so goes life.

42 1,041
 08-28-2016, 03:36 PM
User Info
"Morris & Forndran  Lee no longer takes new clients and is semi retired.  Hardly anyone pots receiving a new M & F Brush"

This is the fist I heard of this... Where did you hear this?

I got a reply from Florian around the first of the year, nothing since. I check the Paladin site from time to time but things have been pretty quiet there for the last couple of months.

1 309
 08-28-2016, 03:38 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
If you, like me think a prewar Phantom II Rolls Royce is the ultimate high end car a head on crash test @ 35 MPH with a contemporary Rolls Royce is in order.
I do not mourn the unobtainable. Nor will I be so arrogant as to rank current brush makers or find fault in their ability to produce brushes with the proclivity of an incontinent short order cook and dishwasher using the sink for double duty.
Paladin /Ken is hardly doing this as hobby and Brad Sears makes a outstanding brush anyone would be proud to own. Maybe, just maybe they are doing things with forthought and deliberation that saw the demise of those you list. Kent,Plisson, VP, Vie-Long, Thater, Henri en Victora et all: have you tried these folks?
These aren't fleet sale Toyotas we're talking here.
I think a lot of misguided hype has built up over brushes. Are the people and names you mentioned special? Yes, and so are those I named.
Your option is a beard.

2 3,171
 08-28-2016, 03:58 PM
User Info
Amen Kav. Sample some Vie Longs: 75th anniversary broken in compares favorably with any other brush. So does an Epsilon or 16510.

16 147
 08-28-2016, 03:58 PM
User Info
You raise some interesting points.  Some brushes are indeed had to get, but comparable options are always available.  No one manufacturer has a monopoly on quality, high end brushes.  Simpson and  Shavemac are top tier, easily obtainable, and the companies are owned by individuals who actually respond to emails.  I enjoy my assortment of brushes, but I would not consider myself to be at a loss if I only had Simpson and Shavemac brushes.

One of the good developments is that some of the artisan brush makers are now beginning to source top quality knots directly from China.  TGN and WSP are no longer the only options, although I have knots from both which are excellent.  The new line of premium knots carried by Bob Quinn is exceptional.

The growth of this hobby has given rise to small manufacturers and artisans who can't meet the temporary demand for their brushes.   Some of these makers will not survive. Others will grow to the point where they can meet demand, and I would place Paladin in this category.  But with so many options available in high end brushes, I'm not bothered if I can't get any particular brand.

47 5,688
 08-28-2016, 03:59 PM
User Info
Chris Cullen told me about Lee.  Chris" friend texts him all the time.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion regarding brushes.  Yes I forgot Plisson but same price range as Simpson.  Don't know VP Henri en Victoria.  Have never seen them sold.  I don't feel Brad Sears knots compare to the brushes I mentioned.  He makes a nice brush but is limited by the knot.

The assessments are my opinion but some of my opinion is based on the general sentiment in the community.  Its your right to disagree

Look at secondart market listings.  The M & F and the Paladin and Varket if you see one get snapped up.  Not so quick with Shavemac and Thater.  I haven't tried those 2 but many say they are underated

1 53
 08-28-2016, 04:00 PM
User Info
I definitely seem to have stirred the pot.  That is OK

1 53
 08-28-2016, 04:02 PM
User Info
(08-28-2016, 04:00 PM)faceliftdr Wrote: I definitely seem to have stirred the pot.  That is OK

As long as we keep it civil, a spirited discussion is good.

47 5,688
 08-28-2016, 04:03 PM
User Info
I never said Mark has a monopoly on 2 band.

Nervosa201 don't be such a condescending old whatever

1 53
 08-28-2016, 04:05 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
The sentiment of half the nation holds one presidential candidate isn't fit to hold office. I can, with mirth let people decide which one.

2 3,171
 08-28-2016, 04:09 PM
User Info
(08-28-2016, 04:03 PM)faceliftdr Wrote: I never said Mark has a monopoly on 2 band.

Nervosa201 don't be such a condescending old whatever

"Simpson  All you ant but and $300 plus for 2 banded brushes Mark has a monoloy" - Did I misconstrue your meaning here?

I'm not being condescending. You made several statements about products I'm sure you've never tried firsthand. I'm merely responding to what I believe are factually inaccurate statements.

157 1,016
 08-28-2016, 04:10 PM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Civil yes. I know it can be frustrating when that two band & its handle strikes your (our) fancy and we can't buy it like right now but in some ways it makes our hobby pretty neat. Small, fun & as Kav would agree the low riders would give us respect. God, I would love to see a low rider roll through Woodstock, VT. Barney Fife would get all in a lather.

42 1,041
 08-28-2016, 04:11 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
WHOA! you bash Brad Sears and Chris is 'condescending' ? You are typing on the interent. There is a feature called a search engine. Enter these brushes and learn something. Or, as optioned, grow a beard. You might also reread Aesop, something about a fox and grapes. Also on the Internet.

2 3,171
 08-28-2016, 04:16 PM
User Info
(08-28-2016, 03:23 PM)nervosa1901 Wrote: I don't know where to start here... First I'd like to ask if you have experienced any of these brushes yourself. I know people who have recently received new M&F brushes. Where do you get your information that Shavemac and Thater are "reportedly" a notch below? I own several of each and don't find them to be a "notch below" anything. Do you even know what a 2-band brush is? If you did, you'd know full well that Mark doesn't have a monopoly on 2-band (or anything else).

Agreed, prefer my Shavemac 2-band Silvertips to the Simpson Manchurians I've had, and personally find them just as good as my M&F and Paladin brushes (and I went through a number of both of these to find great knots).

Rudy will happily make you a custom brush with a Shavemac knot, and from what I've read Bob Quinn has some exceptional knots right now.

52 1,175
 08-28-2016, 04:35 PM
User Info
come on give credit where it is actually due.  the damn badgers.  not a single mention of them in this thread.  they give more to our brushes than anyone.

73 1,260
 08-28-2016, 04:37 PM
User Info
(08-28-2016, 03:06 PM)faceliftdr Wrote: Where are the High End Brushes?  They have gone away.

Rooney ith the Block Letters has disappeared.

Morris & Forndran  Lee no longer takes new clients and is semi retired.  Hardly anyone pots receiving a new M & F Brush

Wiborg  Florian has apparently stopped working.  No answer to emails.  No product .

Even on the secondary market they are a rarity.

The Varlet   Closed waiting list.  Almost no product available on secondary market.  How many did he ever make?  Not many

Paladin  No longer uses M & F knots  Released about 50 in June and 50 or so in April.  Nothing since.  Not that many in previous years.

Shavemac and Thater  Reportedly a notch below the above    All you want for $100 to $200

Rod Neep, Rudy Vey , Brad Sears  A nothch or 2 below  Use TGN and WSP knots  All you want

Simpson  All you ant but and $300 plus for 2 banded brushes Mark has a monoloy

So how long does it take to make a brush/  How do Paladin and the Varlet survive making so few brushes  Is it just a hobby?

Why is there such a shortage of the real high end brushes?

What do you think?

Lee is still good bud, He sent me two brushes a couple days ago...

17 1,297