08-28-2016, 07:57 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I imagine most of the forum will say 'who'? Gabriel was a 66 y/o Mexican singer who just passed in L.A. on tour from a massive heart attack. Anyone who ventures beyond Taco Bell in multi ethnic California knew of and enjoyed him like Cantinflas, Antonio Banderas or Uncle Tony (Antonio Aquilar 'the mexican John Wayne' and Amansadore extraordinaire) Perla Battaya, Cheech Marin. The Hollywood Bowl hosts an annual extravaganza of mariachi bands and the approaching Dias de los Muerta a honored invitation to witness and, more important share food at.
I have nieghbors; white haired grandparents who walk their granddaughter's snow white poodle in the evening. They always smile broadly when I say buenos Noches senor, senora and exaust my spanglish. They were walking past, playing a small transistor radio with his songs playing. Enrique said 'Muerta' and started crying.
I didn't want this bit of greater America to pass without mention.

2 3,171
 08-28-2016, 08:54 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I have heard of him but am not familiar with him. RIP Juan Gabriel.

46 18,622
 09-18-2016, 04:56 PM
User Info
(08-28-2016, 07:57 PM)kav Wrote: I imagine most of the forum will say 'who'? Gabriel was a 66 y/o Mexican singer who just passed in L.A. on tour from a massive heart attack. Anyone who ventures beyond Taco Bell in multi ethnic California knew of and enjoyed him like Cantinflas, Antonio Banderas or Uncle Tony (Antonio Aquilar 'the mexican John Wayne' and Amansadore extraordinaire) Perla Battaya, Cheech Marin. The Hollywood Bowl hosts an annual extravaganza of mariachi bands and the approaching Dias de los Muerta a honored invitation to witness and, more important share food at.
I have nieghbors; white haired grandparents who walk their granddaughter's snow white poodle in the evening. They always smile broadly when I say buenos Noches senor, senora and exaust my spanglish. They were walking past, playing a small transistor radio with his songs playing. Enrique said 'Muerta' and started crying.
I didn't want this bit of greater America to pass without mention.

Juan Gabriel is a rags to riches story and ends with his place as Mexico's greatest contemporary singer/song writer. He crossed over to at least 5 different music styles including many duets with other stars. A concert I attended in Los Angeles was the best concert of my life. He is sadly missed.

5 118
 09-18-2016, 05:09 PM
User Info
R.I.P.

0 263
 09-19-2016, 03:29 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
R.I.P. Juan Gabriel.

7 2,359