08-03-2012, 07:01 AM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
What are your thoughts on Parker DE razors?

Since I prefer the longer handle razors that makes it a little more limited on what razors to add to my "den". So there are a couple of different long handle Parker DE's so I thought I would get your opinion on them.

http://www.supersafetyrazors.com/categor...Razors.htm
It's an amazon webstore.

7 405
 08-03-2012, 07:16 AM
User Info
I've had a few Parker razors and have had no problem with them. The most recent change was a new head on the TTO models and it works quite well. The 3 piece models are still pretty aggressive but a redo is in the makings or so I've been told

The quality control has improved quite a bit and the last ones I purchased were as good as anything out there right now. I wouldn't have a problem getting another if I needed a new razor.

4 952
 08-03-2012, 07:30 AM
User Info
My first razor was - well, still is - a Parker 22R TTO. It'll also be the last razor I give up... cold, dead hands will be involved.

It's a rock solid, halfway between mild and aggressive razor. I wrote a quick review of it right here, if you're curious.

3 3,556
 08-03-2012, 09:18 AM
User Info
My first razor was a Parker 91R. Very aggressive, not the razor to learn on.

However the build quality was excellent, nice balance with a solid metal handle and very heavily chromed.

Mantic had a nice article in June about Parker razors.

http://sharpologist.com/2012/06/parker-razors.html

3 452
 08-03-2012, 09:26 AM
User Info
(08-03-2012, 09:18 AM)redrako Wrote: My first razor was a Parker 91R. Very aggressive, not the razor to learn on.

However the build quality was excellent, nice balance with a solid metal handle and very heavily chromed.

Mantic had a nice article in June about Parker razors.

http://sharpologist.com/2012/06/parker-razors.html

My first DE razor was a Parker 91R. It was defective and I didn't know it. The lesson learned is, don't always blame yourself if it doesn't work. The blade didn't sit flush with the bar on the sides and I kept trying to place it carefully in the holder. That shows how desperate I was to come up with an alternative to the multiblade razors that caused my face so much misery over the years.

0 282
 08-03-2012, 09:52 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Hi Krissy,

There is a very nice tto Parker 29L you can see here

100 12,437
 08-03-2012, 10:15 AM
User Info
Hello Krissy,

I have only purchased their 3 piece heads, the 48R, the 94R, and the 97R. Although the head design appears to be a clone of the R89/EJ89 head they are far more aggressive.

The build quality where all excellent. I rarely shave with them as I really only use the handles on open comb heads.

I personally find them to be a great bang for the buck, but I am also cheap
Tongue

5 833
 08-03-2012, 10:28 AM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
Thanks for the feedback, I think I will pick up one of them since I only have 3 long handles right now. (murkur, blue lady and a black handle one I don't know what brand it it)

So I could use another.... [Image: 666faa02.gif]

7 405
 08-03-2012, 06:49 PM
User Info
I have the 99r. I don't like it very much though. If you're interested, I'll PIF it to you, just PM me your info.

2 396
 08-04-2012, 06:32 AM
User Info
(08-03-2012, 10:28 AM)krissy Wrote: Thanks for the feedback, I think I will pick up one of them since I only have 3 long handles right now.

The 29L looks like THE one you're looking for, Krissy. Hell, if I had the dough I'd get one for myself. Lightbulb

0 554
 08-06-2012, 07:50 AM
User Info
I use the parker 82R and have had no problems with it. Shaves good and the build quality is great.

0 91
 08-06-2012, 08:12 AM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
I have a Parker 22R. I rarely use it. It was a bit on the agressive side for my level of expertise at the time I bought it.
I also unfortunatley dropped it on a tile floor and it got out of alignment. I was able to take it apart and carefully bend the parts back, but it's been out of rotation for months. I like the look and feel of the razor a lot, but the shave was not as good for me as my vintage Gillettes or SEs.

0 911
 08-06-2012, 04:35 PM
User Info
I have an 82R and consider it a good razor. However, a razor I like better is the Lord L6--available from Amazon and Shoeboxshave, maybe others--about $13. This is a smooth and effective razor. It's inexpensive, light, and the handle is thin so it feels "cheap." Don't be fooled though, once you get used to the light weight this one works very well ... at least for me. I also bought one of the early 2012 Webers with the black head and pliers-like handle. I like that razor as well. But the Parker is a good shaver and I like that they are making affordable TTO razors.

0 140
 08-06-2012, 04:50 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
In looking there are so many long handle options, I thought they were limited to just a handful! That is good news for us ladies and gents who like that longer handle. *does the happy dance*

I just might have to pick up one of those Lord L6 in the future as well, just to have one of course. Biggrin from shoeboxshave of course supporting another vendor, amazon already gets enough of my $$$....

7 405
 08-12-2012, 11:04 PM
User Info
I owned two Parkers early on and didn't care for either. I thought they were sloppily made and rough-shaving. Assuming you're in the US, for just about the same price, you can order an Edwin Jagger or Merkur from one of the sellers in the UK.

66 692
 08-14-2012, 10:00 AM
User Info
(08-12-2012, 11:04 PM)vocalistbob Wrote: I owned two Parkers early on and didn't care for either. I thought they were sloppily made and rough-shaving.

Apparently, Parker quality control and design have improved in the last year or two. I see more satisfied than disgruntled customers than when I joined the wet shave madness.

I'm in the midst of a razor acquisition moratorium. But by the time I'm ready to start searching again I'll be looking at the Parker line. If nothing else, they have nice styling. Of course, that isn't enough but we shall see.

0 554
 08-19-2012, 12:37 PM
User Info
It seems like the QC at Parker may have improved over the last couple years. I started with a Parker 22R when I entered the DE world about 3 years ago and was extremely disappointed with the overall quality. There were serious blade alignment issues and the handle hand a pretty noticeable hook in it where the 2 parts of the handle joined to perform the TTO function. It put a pretty bad taste in my mouth in regard to Parker razors and I never gave them a try again; rather I found salvation in the likes of Merkur, EJ, and the classic Gillettes. It sounds, however, like, it might be time to give Parker another chance.

5 938
 08-19-2012, 01:00 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I have tried 3 Parker razors in the past and I didnt like them.
Interesting that the Edwin Jagger/Muhle razors are made in India and also belong to the same person who own Parker.Its like day and night when Muhle/Edwin Jagger are compared with Parker razors...

86 7,123
 08-19-2012, 01:04 PM
User Info
(08-19-2012, 01:00 PM)Teiste Wrote: I have tried 3 Parker razors in the past and I didnt like them.
Interesting that the Edwin Jagger/Muhle razors are made in India and also belong to the same person who own Parker.Its like day and night when Muhle/Edwin Jagger are compared with Parker razors...

+1...I think the the Mule/Ej razors are the holy grail of the modern day, mass produced razors. The craftsmanship and attention to detail is simply unrivaled in that market.

5 938
 08-19-2012, 01:24 PM
User Info
Manufacturers make whatever the person ordering tells them to make. Assuming the ordering person orders enough pieces or spends enough dollars....

9 2,988