08-29-2016, 10:04 AM
User Info
I'm very happy to announce that we just received our shipment of custom brush boxes made to our specifications. Together with our new imprinting machine, complete Usage & Care Instructions, One-Year Warranty, and Certificate of Authenticity, I believe we now offer one of the most comprehensive custom brush service packages available anywhere.

[Image: MTq3c9k.jpg]

[Image: tZUqopt.jpg]

Thanks for your time!  If I may of service, it would be my privilege.

4 647
 08-29-2016, 10:19 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Brad, if you keep raising the bar I'm going to invest in ladders. One nit pick question? My Vie-Long had an imprinted logo on the base. It slowly wore off. I know what it is, love it no less. Should we consider a brush rack? I need to email you. Chris

2 3,171
 08-29-2016, 11:05 AM
User Info
(08-29-2016, 10:19 AM)kav Wrote: Brad, if you keep raising the bar I'm going to invest in ladders. One nit pick question? My Vie-Long had an imprinted logo on the base. It slowly wore off. I know what it is, love it no less. Should we consider a brush rack? I need to email you. Chris

Ha-ha!  Thanks for your thoughts, Chris.  (Please: nit-pick!  Smile )

You raise a great point--one I asked the imprinter maker and several ink suppliers before committing what, for me, is a lot of money.  Needless to say, I burnt up the phone lines to several tech support people asking all manner of questions from the type of machine, to "product" holders, to inks, and several more.  

But at the end of the day, it's the ink that counts.  The inks we settled on are so-called "specialty" inks that (the experts I spoke with say) are supposed to etch into what's called the "substrate" (i.e., the brush handle) as they cure over a period of 6 - 8 days. (We actually speed the process somewhat by heating the printed handles in an oven at low temperature for 30 minutes or so.  One fellow actually recommended a heat gun, but I don't have the courage to subject an expensive handle to a blast of 1,200 - 1,500 degree air!)  

Anyway, I'm told these inks are also used on glassware, metal and other surfaces advertised as being "dishwasher safe."  To test that claim, I sent samples of the rods I use to different ink manufacturers asking them to imprint with their recommended inks.  When they came back, the first thing my wife did was to try to rub off the imprint with her fingernail (no success.)  We then ran them through the dishwasher a couple times--again with no impact.

All that said:  I know nothing about what Vie-Long does, what inks they use and so forth; so I can't comment.  

Candidly, I don't yet know how my imprints will hold up over the course of years.  Only time will tell.  But this much I do know:  (1)  I imprinted several of my personal brushes and have been using/abusing them for over a month with no visible impact;  (2)  if your imprint does wear off, just send the brush back.  I'll do my best to determine the cause and do my best to correct it at no charge!  (3) Several big name, high-end brush makers use the same process (yes, I emailed with a couple), and if they're willing to put their names on the process....

I will say that there's a somewhat steep learning curve--and yes, I used a LOT of ink remover (the equivalent of an eraser--on bare rods, thankfully!) before getting things right.  But hey, "no pain--no gain!"

Should you invest in a brush rack?  I leave the answer to you.  I have not because, if something DOES happen, I want it to happen to me first!

Feel free to reach out at any time!

Take care!

4 647
 08-29-2016, 11:53 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Beautiful boxes, but I love the blue brush handle!

38 5,198
 08-29-2016, 12:24 PM
User Info
(08-29-2016, 11:53 AM)evnpar Wrote: Beautiful boxes, but I love the blue brush handle!

I'm glad you appreciate that brush.  I call it "The Poly" inspired by combining elements of the Polo and the Alibaba handles (which, as we know, were derived from the old Rubbersets & EverReady's).  This version is hand-crafted from imported Lapis Lazuli and Tortoiseshell resins.  I describe the crafting process--at a high level--on this page of my website.

I'd be happy to make one for you.

4 647
 08-29-2016, 01:00 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Brad, This is the R&D that put people on the moon. Again, no critique toward Vie-Long, who I believe went to an engraved logo. It is always an education when the community has a detail explained and the effort and time involved.

2 3,171