• Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
 08-29-2016, 05:47 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
If I request landed immigrant status in November it will be tough choosing between Vancouver and Montreal.

2 3,171
 08-29-2016, 06:05 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Beautiful shots Ravi!  My wife is from that region--definitely some gorgeous scenery.  And I see you're getting all your protein...looks delicious  Biggrin

34 1,628
 08-29-2016, 06:34 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Very nice, Ravi. I sure would love to go there. Man, what sandwiches and fries!

38 5,071
 08-29-2016, 08:04 PM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
Great Pics Ravi! Quebec is beautiful I hope you had a great time.

(08-29-2016, 05:47 PM)kav Wrote: If I request landed immigrant status in November it will be tough choosing between Vancouver and Montreal.

kav, I have been to both and you will have a tough choice.

28 1,622
 08-29-2016, 08:26 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
I have too.I know there is supposed to be this historical animosity between L'Anglais and Le Quebecois.I somehow missed it. but then I was an American still relatively competant in french and avoiding all the Chevy Chase dumb tourist mistakes. Vancouver is so ALIVE and a short trip to sister city Victoria and it's rose gardens was like stepping back into the time of it's namesake; conservative, a measured pace and gentility. I could split my time months between the two and enjoy that incredible trans continental train trip.
If I skin Justin Beiber and practice my ehs? and aboots can I come up,please? I even have a Ross Rifle at my nephews I can retrieve.

2 3,171
 08-29-2016, 08:37 PM
  • jamesrobson5
  • Chubby Chaser... Big Brush is Best!
  • Sherwood Park AB Canada!
User Info
I for one would be glad to have you, however you have to leave Justin Beiber right where you found him.  Our gift to you. Wink

I hear we may have a few of your countrymen come "visit" in December. I hope things work out in your favour.

28 1,622
 08-29-2016, 08:45 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Like I said, I have that Ross.

2 3,171
 08-29-2016, 11:16 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Nice photos of a great place to visit and I mean both the city and the province. If you ever get a chance to drive the Gaspe grab it. Never did run into people with an overt "maudit anglais" attitude, just friendly helpful folks.

Bob

0 1,694
 08-29-2016, 11:19 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(08-29-2016, 08:45 PM)kav Wrote: Like I said, I have that Ross.

You don't run into too many people who know what a Ross rifle is. I had two 303 military models and a 280 sporter.  Interesting and accurate rifles.

0 1,694
 08-30-2016, 02:36 AM
User Info
Ravi - Very nice photos and a really neat town to visit.  I was there a couple years ago and had a great time.

4 465
 08-30-2016, 06:59 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
I think the ethnic tension is embellished by a few permanent snowbirds who listen to a certain radio pundit and dislike Celine Dion. I took a field course
with famed canadian woodscraft expert Mors Kochanski. All these grim survivalists showed up in plastic and cammies. I looked like a cast member from
Dudley Doright along with this french Voyageur name Rene'. I think it was our combined stores of survival food ( wine,cheese ,chocolate,bread) VS MREs that made us a team and Mors retire shortly after. That, and we both liked Stan Rodgers music and SMLEs.

2 3,171
 08-30-2016, 07:20 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(08-30-2016, 06:59 AM)kav Wrote: I think the ethnic tension is embellished by a few permanent snowbirds who listen to a certain radio pundit and dislike Celine Dion. I took a field course
with famed canadian woodscraft expert Mors Kochanski. All these grim survivalists showed up in plastic and cammies. I looked like a cast member from
Dudley Doright along with this french Voyageur name Rene'. I think it was our combined stores of survival food ( wine,cheese ,chocolate,bread) VS MREs that made us a team and Mors retire shortly after. That, and we both liked Stan Rodgers music and SMLEs.

No, the ethnic tension can be very real. IIRC there have been at least two referendums on separation (secession) from Canada held in the Province of Quebec. In both cases the NO side won by the narrowest of margins. It is there near the surface most of the time. Too bad really.  My favourite Stan Rodgers song is Barrett's Privateers. A real shame he died such an untimely death at 33.

0 1,694
 08-30-2016, 08:08 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
Yes very real. My brother lives in Westmount, a mostly Anglo/Irish suburb west of downtown and sees it all the time.

Anglo-French tensions can be felt and when you factor in the Mafia, the thriving Hells Angels (largest chapter in NA), Haitians and Asians it gets complicated!

Yet, it also what's makes Montreal tick. Just a great city.

42 1,041
 08-30-2016, 08:16 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
All people can do are one on one friendships with 'those people' who we ultimately share more in common than not. I attended a small house concert in SOCAL with Stan and maybe 40 people in a local folk music pundit's home. I brought a bottle of Canadian which Stan appreciated in no 'small measure'. Then a few days later her radio program announced the sad news and I grew a little older. What most American audiences let fly right over their heads was his deep knowledge of Canadian history and current issues; like why our White House was burned in retaliation. Now it's the Bieber and canadian spy coins and people who think John Candy's CANADIAN BACON could really happen with Trudeau in office, just like RED DAWN.

2 3,171
 08-30-2016, 08:30 AM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
What's on those fries Ravi?  Is that gravy?  People look at me like I'm crazy when I put beef gravy and onions on top of my fries.  Maybe I'm not so crazy after all.

42 586
 08-30-2016, 08:35 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(08-30-2016, 08:30 AM)ddk13 Wrote: What's on those fries Ravi?  Is that gravy?  People look at me like I'm crazy when I put beef gravy and onions on top of my fries.  Maybe I'm not so crazy after all.

Poutine : french fries covered with cheese curds and gravy : delightful!

102 18,602
 08-30-2016, 08:43 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Ethnic tension is sitting in a Pannaceria in Fillmore California with an Amansadore' teaching you California reigning wih a spade bit. Guy walks in and makes a comment about the Anglo. My mentor chews him out, adding I'm descended from a San Patricio while slapping a braided rawhide quirt on the floor , never making eye contact. Guy flees and he mumbles 'damned cholos, ruining it for us Californios'. Then some out of state tourists come to ride the vintage trains ask if we speak english wanting to take a photo. I reply 'no hable'.

2 3,171
 08-30-2016, 09:16 AM
  • Entasis
  • Atop the Razor's Edge
  • Southern California
User Info
I enjoyed the architecture photographs.

12 609
 08-30-2016, 09:35 AM
User Info
(08-30-2016, 08:35 AM)Agravic Wrote: Poutine : french fries covered with cheese curds and gravy : delightful!

You are a braver man than I!  When ever we would head to Montreal for the F1 race the first thing my friend would get is the Poutine.  I never had the desire....

4 465