08-30-2016, 11:55 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(08-30-2016, 08:43 AM)kav Wrote: Ethnic tension is sitting in a Pannaceria in Fillmore California with  an Amansadore'  teaching you California reigning wih a spade bit. Guy walks in and makes a comment about the Anglo. My  mentor chews him out, adding I'm  descended from a San Patricio while slapping a braided rawhide quirt on the floor , never making eye contact. Guy flees and he mumbles 'damned cholos, ruining it for us Californios'. Then some out of state tourists come to ride the vintage trains ask if we speak english wanting to take a photo. I reply 'no hable'.

Now you understand what the "Two Solitudes" can sometimes get to in Canada. I don't know a lot of French but I did learn some of the swear words quickly. I do like to know when someone is yanking my chain. You can't get more tense then when an entire province wants to separate from country. No small thing considering Quebec is slightly larger than 2X the size of Texas and not much smaller than Alaska.

0 1,694
 08-30-2016, 11:59 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(08-30-2016, 08:35 AM)Agravic Wrote:
(08-30-2016, 08:30 AM)ddk13 Wrote: What's on those fries Ravi?  Is that gravy?  People look at me like I'm crazy when I put beef gravy and onions on top of my fries.  Maybe I'm not so crazy after all.

Poutine : french fries covered with cheese curds and gravy : delightful!

Yes, delightful. Make it a home too.

0 1,694
 08-30-2016, 12:21 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Refusing Poutine in Quebec is like the fellow Californian in Louisville Kentucky sitting next to me in a restaurant when offered grits or hashbrowns with his breakfast. He asked for Cream of Wheat. Cardinal rule #1 always eat the local cuisine and your halfway home with people. I love Poutine.

2 3,171
 08-30-2016, 02:42 PM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I love Quebec, its culture and its cuisine (I take a double dose of my Lipitor prescription when I eat poutine).  When I settled in Canada 50 years ago I attended university in Montreal and worked in the city for several years after I graduated.  Unfortunately the realities of the business world forced me to leave the province for Toronto and Houston.  My wife owned an art gallery just outside Toronto and represented Quebec artists primarily.  Needless to say, she made many trips to the province and became friends with many, many Quebecois across the province and never encountered any hostility to her being a 'maudit anglais' even though she's an immigrant from England.  As for Vancouver, we like to visit the area, but wouldn't want to live there.  I've visited the city and environs many times both on business and on holiday and I've not felt reluctant to leave.  I find that I feel very cut off from the rest of Canada and the world when I spend a lot of time in Vancouver.

7 902
 08-30-2016, 05:50 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I love Canada; grew up in Montreal and Ottawa.  English, French .. whatever!  I look for the good in people.

102 18,603
 08-30-2016, 06:21 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I was born and raised here and like most people love the country they were born in. OTH to deny the existence of an unpleasant reality, there are a few of those in Canada, makes attempting to deal with them in a constructive manner next to impossible. By all means celebrate the good, the beauty but never forget the warts at the same time.  

Bob

0 1,694
 08-31-2016, 02:59 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
(08-30-2016, 06:21 PM)BobH Wrote: I was born and raised here and like most people love the country they were born in. OTH to deny the existence of an unpleasant reality, there are a few of those in Canada, makes attempting to deal with them in a constructive manner next to impossible. By all means celebrate the good, the beauty but never forget the warts at the same time.  

Bob

Bob, you are quite right.  I had the misfortune to live in downtown Montreal (Peel & Sherbrooke) during the La Porte and Cross kidnappings and the subsequent War Measures Act, the FLQ postbox bombings in Westmount, the McGill Francais demontstrations/riots and to be in the Redpath Library when it was fire bombed among other things.  To be sure the separatist elemement will always be with us, but I still have a very fond attachment to Montrealers and the Québécois in general.

7 902
 08-31-2016, 04:02 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(08-31-2016, 02:59 AM)Rufus Wrote:
(08-30-2016, 06:21 PM)BobH Wrote: I was born and raised here and like most people love the country they were born in. OTH to deny the existence of an unpleasant reality, there are a few of those in Canada, makes attempting to deal with them in a constructive manner next to impossible. By all means celebrate the good, the beauty but never forget the warts at the same time.  

Bob

Bob, you are quite right.  I had the misfortune to live in downtown Montreal (Peel & Sherbrooke) during the La Porte and Cross kidnappings and the subsequent War Measures Act, the FLQ postbox bombings in Westmount, the McGill Francais demontstrations/riots and to be in the Redpath Library when it was fire bombed among other things.  To be sure the separatist elemement will always be with us, but I still have a very fond attachment to Montrealers and the Québécois in general.

Wow, you really had some bad luck. Yes, I have good memories of Quebec and Quebecois also. I think Canada is better off as a whole with Quebec in Confederation than without it. Quebec leaving would definitely be a loss for the rest of us.

0 1,694
 08-31-2016, 04:06 AM
User Info
Ravi - when I was up in Quebec I visited Montmorency Falls.  I found a side trail and was able to get up close to the falls.  I set up my tripod and got this shot - any closer and I would have had to walk through the water.

[Image: JD0ymNB.jpg]

4 465
 09-02-2016, 04:42 PM
User Info
That is a wonderful trip, Quebec City is just wonderful.  One of my favorite things to see was a bit further out than Montmorency Falls, a neat little place called Canyon Sainte Anne.  Beautiful views of water tumbling down steep drops.  Just lovely.

74 2,232
 09-02-2016, 06:09 PM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I have more photos from my Nikon .. just need time to edit.  Original pics posted here are from my iPhone 6.

102 18,603