08-30-2016, 02:24 AM
User Info
I was surfing the Web when I found this image:

[Image: hr_411-188-00_thiers-issard-silvertip-ba...horn_1.jpg]

" - Wow… what an handsome brush, this Thiers-Issard silvertip is! A little too much for my pocket, for sure. But that ring sure reminds me something…. "

(other examples cam be found elsewhere:
https://www.fendrihan.ca/products/thiers...orn-handle
https://www.fendrihan.ca/products/thiers...ving-brush
http://www.royalshave.com/thiers-issard-...nuine-horn )

"- Hey, I wonder if Semogue is producing brushes for Thiers-Issard?!?!?!

A little research led me to this article, in Portuguese, published in June, 2015:

http://upmagazine-tap.com/pt_artigos/sem...ortuguesa/

Quote:O volume de negócios aumentou na proporção exata da distinção e respeito ganhos pela marca. A chegada de parcerias não é, por isso, uma surpresa. A Antiga Barbearia do Bairro, uma marca portuguesa que há uns anos se propôs renascer do ritual da barba, foi a primeira a bater à porta, seguindo-se a Castelbel e a ACH. Brito, ambas dedicadas à perfumaria e higiene pessoal. Mais recentemente, a Semogue iniciou uma colaboração com a francesa Thiers-Issard para a produção de pincéis específicos para os seus produtos de luxo.

Translating:

Quote:Turnover increased in direct proportion of the distinction and respect earned by the brand. The arrival of partnerships is not therefore a surprise. Antiga Barbearia de Bairro, a Portuguese brand that proposed a revival of the shaving ritual a few years ago, was the first to knock on the door, followed by Castelbel and Ach. Brito, both dedicated to perfumery and personal hygiene products. More recently, Semogue began collaboration with French company Thiers-Issard for the production of specific brushes for its luxury products.

Congratulations! Well done, Semogue and Thiers-Issard!  Smile

2 5,547
 08-30-2016, 02:29 AM
User Info
Looks great.
I owned a couple of TI badgers 3-4 years ago. They were a bit too scritchy in feel and overpriced. This looks better. And 26 mm knot size is perfect. Not too big, not too small.

24 5,969
 08-30-2016, 02:33 AM
User Info
I really don't know who made TI brushes in the past. TI claims that they were made in France. Plisson, perhaps?!?!

Even nowadays there is a probability that not all TI brushes are made by Semogue. Sometimes a company like TI has several suppliers for different ranges...

2 5,547
 08-30-2016, 12:41 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
There was a strong belief by many that Rooney was manufacturing the initial brushes, which I have an easier time accepting over the Plisson theory.  The knots in the brushes are nothing like the Plissons of the same era, but very similar to the Heritage hair from Rooney.  My marbled horn brush has zero scritch, and good backbone with very soft tips.  This is one of several brushes that I don't plan on ever getting rid of. 

[Image: sVOiwz3.jpg]
[Image: Kqs5IlY.jpg]

145 2,752
 08-30-2016, 03:44 PM
User Info
Biutiful

8 1,129
 08-30-2016, 03:51 PM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
There is no doubt the one with the ring is a Semogue.  I would be willing to bet it's not any better than the Semogue Silvertip Badger brush.

178 23,809
 08-30-2016, 04:48 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(08-30-2016, 03:51 PM)Johnny Wrote: There is no doubt the one with the ring is a Semogue.  I would be willing to bet it's not any better than the Semogue Silvertip Badger brush.

I'd go along with that and it would not surprise that the Semogue version would be less costly. Branding sometimes carries it's own premium. Still, not a bad looking brush though.

0 1,694
 08-30-2016, 07:14 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Beautiful collaboration!

I've owned TI brushes in the past.

The natural material handles were absolutely superb and the knots akin to Rooney.

[Image: eN9FQCS.png]

[Image: pv0qvaK.png]

99 18,011
 08-30-2016, 10:04 PM
User Info
$280 for a Semogue is absurd though

63 1,721
 08-31-2016, 01:27 PM
User Info
I have a brush similar to the one Ben pictured on the right, and that is a spectacular brush. Soft, soft, soft!

I would be okay with Semogue doing the new ones. While the price is more than typically paid, you don't get horn handles everyday either, and Semogue makes some excellent knots and handles. 

I would take Semogue's LE horns over this in a heartbeat though as you get much more value, and even the recent LE Semogue at the price it was listed at tempted me into getting it.

23 635
 08-31-2016, 05:22 PM
User Info
The Rooney made TI are something special , I personally don't have an interest in the newer versions but that's just a matter of preference.

60 1,533
 09-01-2016, 01:36 AM
User Info
(08-30-2016, 03:51 PM)Johnny Wrote: There is no doubt the one with the ring is a Semogue.  I would be willing to bet it's not any better than the Semogue Silvertip Badger brush.

Hummm... TI brushes seems to be denser than the traditional Semogue silvertips (e.g. 730, 2015 and even the HD versions of those two).

(08-30-2016, 04:48 PM)BobH Wrote: I'd go along with that and it would not surprise that the Semogue version would be less costly. Branding sometimes carries it's own premium. Still, not a bad looking brush though.

^^ This...!

(08-31-2016, 01:27 PM)kooshman7 Wrote: [...]I would take Semogue's LE horns over this in a heartbeat though as you get much more value, and even the recent LE Semogue at the price it was listed at tempted me into getting it.

No doubt about it.
I have a couple of LE Semogue silvertips, like the Semogue LE2010, or the special edition they made for the spanish forum foroafeitado and they are fantastic knots, very dense and soft on the tips.
Probably the TI brushes will have knots not much different than these ones... of course, branding takes its toll, and the Semogue branded LE's had much better value per money.

@ben74: Stunning photos, as always, Ben!

2 5,547