08-30-2016, 07:36 PM
User Info
For the last couple of weeks I've changed my Feather blade daily

Can't seem to get beyond DFMS (edited for clarity)

My routine is 3 passes (WTG, XTG, ATG) and cleanup using a Merkur 34C, synthetic brush and Van der Hagen glycerin soap.  Followed by alum block and Nivea Sensitive post shave balm.

I've tried 3 ATG passes and it is even worse.  

Any suggestions to get to the next level?

I think it is a technique thing and not an equipment issue as the more passes I do, the better the shave (but worse the irritation)

thanks

0 42
 08-30-2016, 07:49 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I think you need to lower your expectations and take care of your face. I am guessing DFM means damned fine shave and you seek a BBS or baby butt smooth ?
These acronyms have utterly nothing to do with the real world and to me a PITA. They make you sound like 'one of the club' and little else. Are you presentable? Any ladies complain of beard burn or LEOS ( police) mistaking you for a transient?
Feathers are not made for everyone. Have you tried other blades?

2 3,171
 08-30-2016, 08:02 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
What is DFM? That is a new one to me.

46 18,092
 08-30-2016, 08:07 PM
User Info
Changing feather every day??? You're doing it wrong. 

Maybe try a different razor, that one clearly isn't doing what you want of it.

7 305
 08-30-2016, 08:12 PM
User Info
(08-30-2016, 08:02 PM)bullgoose Wrote: What is DFM? That is a new one to me.

Darn fine m.. ace?

I don't know either.

But to the OP I would suggest to go with with the grain, across and then another across. 

Try to be comfy first, find your goldilocks razor and blade combination and then once you're more confident, you can experiment.

11 1,149
 08-30-2016, 08:28 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(08-30-2016, 07:36 PM)desafetyrazor Wrote: I've changed my Feather blade daily
using a Merkur 34C,
I think it is a technique thing and not an equipment issue as the more passes I do, the better the shave (but worse the irritation)

“One of the issues some users have had with the 2011 model is the tendency to ‘bite.’  This often is attributed to blade flex —where during shaving, the blade edge bends until it snaps back into place, causing injury.  Mühle appears to have addressed this in the 2013 model with the larger base and cap, thus reducing both the blade exposure and the likelihood of blade flex.”   Quotation is from this URL.

Not personally familiar with the Merkur 34C, I am familiar with Feathers.  Feathers are sharp, but they are also very thin, and susceptible to bending (or as the quotation above puts it, flexing).  Feathers work best in razors that have strongly supportive baseplates on the underside of the blade, contacting the blade way out to near the cutting edge, and top caps that clamp the blade down to the baseplate close to the cutting edge.  If the 34C leaves the blade hanging in the air (I have no experience with the 34C so I do not know), you may have better luck with an equally sharp, but thicker and stiffer, blade, the KAI stainless.

0 1,054
 08-30-2016, 08:53 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
My early trial with feather was in a 34C. I recently made another brave trial with my Mergress and survived. I looked over the two razors and you can
just see the 34 flexing VS the Mergress while being drawn across a piece of felt. I think Kais will make you happy.

2 3,171
 08-30-2016, 09:30 PM
  • TONE_Shaves
  • Wet Shaving Aficionado
  • N. Los Angeles, CA
User Info
(08-30-2016, 08:02 PM)bullgoose Wrote: What is DFM? That is a new one to me.

Phil,

DFM is..........

I don't known either.

Anyway, I don't own a 34c so I wouldn't know the blade gap, but regardless of that I would suggest putting the Feather aside and exploring two
Or three other blade makes. Blades that tend to be universally high performers without being overtly aggressive.... Voskhod, Personna platinum(Reds), Eddison stainless, Gillette Silver Blue, Rapira Swedish super steel, to name a few. 

Also, the VDH glyce soap is ok (better for a pre shave IMO) but I would also try a few other soaps that may give you more of a constant proper barrier between blade and skin. 

Just my opinion. :-)

129 320
 08-30-2016, 10:54 PM
User Info
Never heard of DFM ? DFS Yes along with BBS which I gave up long ago, now I shoot for an acceptable 2-3 pass that is irratation free and close enough to be acceptable.

6 1,263
 08-31-2016, 03:23 AM
User Info
Oops.  In my laziness to type completely I confused DFS "damn fine shave" with DFM "darned fresh mango"  Smile

I appreciate the replies

0 42
 08-31-2016, 05:21 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Hi there desafetyrazor. Welcome to the forum Smile You've come to the right place.

Listen, it's not difficult. The way to find your BBS shave is the same way you get to Carnegie Hall.

You take the N, Q or R train to 57th and 7th. It's right there.

4 1,948
 08-31-2016, 11:24 AM
User Info
I found that following a strict pattern (WTG, XTG, XTG) didn't work particularly well for me. As my technique improved and my confidence grew, I stopped restricting my shave to a predetermined standard developed by someone else. I began shaving in whatever direction that effectively removed stubble from my face.

WTG...XTG...ATG...up...down... diagonally right and left...sideways...whatever.

Long strokes, short strokes, itty-bitty strokes. I tell you, by the time I finish the result is exceptional smooth and irritation free. You just gotta practice and find what works for YOU. Be patient. It'll all come together in due time.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

0 21
 08-31-2016, 11:53 AM
  • Viking
  • Artisan - Soap & Cosmetics
  • Ames, Iowa
User Info
I've been wet shaving for a long time and have never had what people describe as a 'BBS' shave - I never will, my face won't allow it - and that's fine.

10 231
 08-31-2016, 02:35 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
I guess I'm just lucky, I get a BBS every day. Three passes, no touch up. But I was going to suggest trying a different soap and blade first  and if you have no better results then get another razor.

7 2,281
 08-31-2016, 02:44 PM
User Info
You didn't mention how long you've been wet shaving. Your length of time practicing may be a determining factor in the results you're getting. I purchased a bunch of different things that helped during my learning process, but it took me 9 months of practice before I achieved consistently satisfying results.

My suggestion would be to buy whatever you feel you need to improve your shave, but don't underestimate the necessity of practice.

0 21
 08-31-2016, 03:37 PM
User Info
BBS/2*(DFS^2/2)=DFM

24 5,857
 08-31-2016, 04:11 PM
User Info
DFM = damn fine mullet

26 992
 08-31-2016, 06:23 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
(08-31-2016, 04:11 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: DFM = damn fine mullet

Ha! Tennessee mud flap.

7 2,281
 08-31-2016, 06:49 PM
User Info
(08-31-2016, 02:44 PM)SABOTEURW Wrote: You didn't mention how long you've been wet shaving. Your length of time practicing may be a determining factor in the results you're getting. I purchased a bunch of different things that helped during my learning process, but it took me 9 months of practice before I achieved consistently satisfying results.

My suggestion would be to buy whatever you feel you need to improve your shave, but don't underestimate the necessity of practice.

@Tapatalk I have been wet shaving for a little over a year now.  There was a steep learning curve then about 2 months in, POW, I was able to get irritation (or at least weeper free) shaves.

0 42
 08-31-2016, 06:50 PM
User Info
Original Poster here:

I don't discount what people are suggesting regarding soaps and blades.  I *think* my issue is a combination of inconsistent blade angle and not stretching the skin.  The reason I say this is that I *have* gotten BBS in areas but it has taken several passes (5-6?) with stretching to get there.  However, I haven't been able to consistently do this.  Perhaps its because I haven't been stretching the skin.

I've tried a few other soaps/creams (Proraso green and white, Van der Hagen (Scented Luxury, Deluxe and Glycerin), Col Conk Almond & Bay Rum and Nivea sensitive cream) and find only the Van der Hagen glycerine makes my skin feel soft without post-shave residue.  I don't doubt there may be better soaps or creams out there, I just feel like at this point it is good enough and doubt it will make that much of a difference.  Although I admit I could be wrong.

I also have a Edwin Jagger DE89 and find the shaves are *slightly* worse that the Merkur.

The suggestion to try a stiffer blade is interesting.  I find I don't get as good a shave with Personna Lab Blues.  They *seem* thicker though I'm not sure.

0 42