09-01-2016, 03:32 PM
User Info
Ok Guys have a question, when I started back a few years ago by dumping the canned goo and carts I picked up a few soaps and aftershaves well let's fast forward a few years and I now have about a dozen soaps and creams in my rotation along with about the same in aftershave and I aslo have about that many more not opened, soaps don't seem to dwindle very fast and I am a soap junkie like I usually load for a good min or more and usually wash alot down the drain after but the soaps still are very slow to disappear and creams last just as long along with aftershave so I have to ask when is enough enough ? I always get fliers from Vendors for soaps and such and want to add more as the descriptions sound great but when does one say STOP ?

6 1,253
 09-01-2016, 03:39 PM
User Info
That's up to you. Just like anything else in life. It's only enough when you say it is and stick to your guns. Ive gotten to where I'll occasionally buy a soap but I've gotten to try and trade if I want something. Keeps from adding even more to the den and stays at a manageable level. Just find some you are truly happy and content with and stick with those.

147 3,459
 09-01-2016, 03:47 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Are you running short of food end of the month? Raiding any college funds for young relatives? If not, then no: You do not have enough in terms of interest.
If this was mere exercise in hygiene I would have long ago adopted a Shaker world view with a goal of 30 years in Mitchell's Wool Fat pucks and all my dress shirts in white. 8 years and I am just now enjoying some items long read about. My personal tastes have settled into my own unique parameters. Perhaps if you looked over your present assembly a similar pattern may show itself. Write down what pleases you, performance, scent or mere whimsy. When you encounter untried soaps a modicum of discrimination may check your inner magpie.

2 3,171
 09-01-2016, 04:09 PM
User Info
I agree with Freddie, whatever you consider a manageable level is YOUR manageable level.  Personally, I went a bit crazy when I started out and have had in my den between 40 and 50 soaps and creams.  I don't regret it as I tried out many different products which helped me define what I liked in a soap and a cream, and which products performed well for me.  At this point it makes it easier for me as I know what products, performance characteristics, and fragrance profiles I enjoy.  Less experimenting and a more targeted purchasing game plan.  

These days I keep about 12 to 15 products in the den.  Like Freddie if something comes in, something goes out, which keeps it to a level where I can enjoy all of the soaps/creams in my den on a pretty regular basis. 

Thats my plan, which of course may change tomorrow Smile  As long as your having fun how many soaps you have really doesn't matter.

6 223
 09-01-2016, 04:21 PM
User Info
Your concern with going overboard would seem to suggest that you've reached or are nearing your limit.  If can't stop yourself because you like variety, maybe sample sizes would satisfy that desire.

0 1,053
 09-01-2016, 04:57 PM
User Info
When you've tried them all, you should definitely STOP!  Biggrin

0 55
 09-01-2016, 05:19 PM
User Info
I tend to go through aftershave splashes fairly quickly - which is a good thing! As for making soaps disappear fast, I'd suggest:

1. Selling a few of your non-favorites on the BST. Many a member would love to try some new soaps at a discount. 
2. PIF a few away
3. Fetch a Simpsons chubby 2/3 - they like soap!

26 982
 09-01-2016, 05:38 PM
User Info
There comes a point when you just don't enjoy the hobby as much as you used to. There isn't enough time to because your attention is always being attracted by something new.

I am at that point. I feel like I have been spending too much on the new next best thing, if I re-read all reviews of the stuff I have bought, the items I have now should be giving me flawless shaves just by looking at them.

It never ends. There will always be something new to buy, something new to covet, if you will not make rules for yourself and not draw the line somewhere, you might find that you have bitten more than you could chew.

At least this is my experience and the way I feel about our hobby now. We all need time to catch our breath and smell the roses once on a while.

Which reminds me. I need to find a nice rose scented soap...

10 1,128
 09-01-2016, 07:41 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I wish an early BULLGOOSE SHAVING website was available to show people what was available less than a decade before. I was in awe then at this unknown world of product and the steady new offerings as world products and then artisan soaps became available. The present retrenchment with many makers going out of business and fewer retailers unable to sit on slow moving lines should see a happier balance. There will still be a great menu. It just wont be from the county fair with bacon icecream, ostrich sausages and beer.

2 3,171
 09-02-2016, 02:11 AM
User Info
I have tried to cut down and trimming down my soap and cream collection since 2013......to no success unfortunately

I do focus now on PRIME quality soaps.
And I have chosen to focus on certain brands and ignore a few brands that I feel I really shouldn't ignore (Mystic Waters and Mikes natural to name just two)

I'm slowly reaching 300 soaps/creams again. But it's all top stuff.
The worst 'garbage' I own is the ENTIRE cream & soap line collections from Proraso, Mondial, TOBS, TF&H, GFT & DR HARRIS. These are the worst performers in my den. Everything else is TOP NOTCH STUFF

24 5,839
 09-02-2016, 04:10 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I have tried enough soaps and creams to realize none of them is the second coming. They are just soaps and creams some of which I like better than others and 90% of those I have used work well enough that they don't get in the way of me having a good shave. When you get to that point, jaded, you know enough is enough. I think I am there.

Bob

0 1,694
 09-02-2016, 04:42 AM
User Info
I was going to say dont ask Claus Smile before I seen he posted. For me I've been doing the same for a few years and using just top performers. I have three drawers full of soap and software and sometimes it's like finding money in an old pair of pants. 

For me if I know a manufacturer and a formula is good I will get different scents as they come out. I try to just stick to samples from new artisans and if they out perform the others the they go up on BST. Don't be afraid to ask for samples because I have saved a ton of money for an underperforming or horrible scent that j would have otherwise wasted my money on.

49 356
 09-02-2016, 08:39 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I enjoy trying new soaps that sound interesting, or new scents from familiar artisans. As long as I enjoy doing that, "enough will never be enough." I primarily used the same two razors (a Slim and a Fat Boy) and one of three soaps (Old Spice, Mennen's, or Palmolive) for 52 years. I purchased one soap at a time and used it until it was gone. Then I discovered the forums and my intent has changed from purchasing one soap to shave with, to a hobby that adds a little daily pleasure. I will probably continue to purchase 2 - 3 soaps/month, which I might only use two to three times, as long as I'm able to do so. I do have a handful of favorites that I use regularly, and every now and then a new soap joins them. I could easily sell everything but a handful of soaps, razors, and brushes and only use them, but I'm just having too much fun trying new products.

38 5,030
 09-02-2016, 10:03 AM
User Info
I don't think I will ever reach saturation.  it is easy to pif them to deserving people.  a recent friend of mine converted and I sent him 11 pretty good soaps to help him learn differences.  any good soap can be used as a hand soap if needed.  I watch a lot of car repair tv and some people have more cars than I do soaps so I consider it relative.  individual soaps are about the least expensive shaving thing I do.  and besides everyone of you is an enabler and it's not my fault, even the mailman is in on that conspiracy!  now how do I get all these European sites to download in English. North America just isn't big enough.   gracias de todos

73 1,260
 09-02-2016, 12:26 PM
User Info
Is there a shelf life on creams, soaps and splashes ? I think if I had an idea on how long they lasted on a shelf that may help me, the Mrs has no issue what so ever on any shave item she said "I don't care if you have 500 razors and get as much soaps, creams splashes etc... that you want" but I don't want to buy a bunch that will go bad in say a year or two.

6 1,253
 09-02-2016, 01:35 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
When is enough,enough? When your wallet says so.
You can navigate around all other "indicators".

7 2,279
 09-02-2016, 03:21 PM
User Info
Its not so much about how much you have, its more about when you have reached equilibrium IMHO, i.e. "one-in," "one-out."  

This is pretty much where I'm at with soaps, razors, and brushes, (and I'm getting there with Aftershaves & Colognes).

52 1,175
 09-02-2016, 03:54 PM
User Info
My wife said 65 was enough soaps so I had to pare down or get a divorce. I am still married but she said nothing about brushes, razors, blades, alum, scuttles, aftershaves.

36 886
 09-02-2016, 04:01 PM
  • carvelo
  • Puerto Rico
User Info
(09-01-2016, 04:09 PM)Newton Wrote: I agree with Freddie, whatever you consider a manageable level is YOUR manageable level.  Personally, I went a bit crazy when I started out and have had in my den between 40 and 50 soaps and creams.  I don't regret it as I tried out many different products which helped me define what I liked in a soap and a cream, and which products performed well for me.  At this point it makes it easier for me as I know what products, performance characteristics, and fragrance profiles I enjoy.  Less experimenting and a more targeted purchasing game plan.  

These days I keep about 12 to 15 products in the den.  Like Freddie if something comes in, something goes out, which keeps it to a level where I can enjoy all of the soaps/creams in my den on a pretty regular basis. 

Thats my plan, which of course may change tomorrow Smile  As long as your having fun how many soaps you have really doesn't matter.

Same here.  After trying a lot of soaps,  I try to keep it to a minimum.

16 400
 09-02-2016, 04:41 PM
User Info
As much as I enjoy trying a new soap, I get at least as much enjoyment from finishing a soap. If my soap count gets too high, finishing soaps become too infrequent and I get that cluttered feeling. This would be different for everyone, but the magic number for turns out to be 20. If I keep my count around 20, I end up finishing a decent amount of soaps per year...let's call it 5. So if I buy a healthy 10 new soaps to try per year, use up 5, and sell 5 busts, I stay at 20 and all is well in the den.

38 1,159