09-01-2016, 05:20 PM
  • e-dub
  • right brain: bna. left brain: dtw.
User Info
[Image: IMG_20160831_183824.jpg]

this was tonight's shave. the brush pictured is THE sleeper brush of my den. i prefer wildly colored handles, this one is plain white - with lettering that's wearing off, to boot. very bulby knot, and i much prefer fans. so much so, in fact, that i'm looking to trade a jade 2xl in finest for a fan shaped finest 2xl. the knot is a blonde - which can be great knots - and i generally prefer finest. so, this brush has everything going against it. 

but, you know what?

every time i use it i makes me laugh because even though it has all these things going "against" it, it's easily one of the brushes i like to use most. how about you guys? what brush (or brushes) do you have that should have been traded/sold off ages ago but keeps earning its place in your rotations?

40 665
 09-02-2016, 12:37 AM
User Info
You should have read my thread on  where have all the top end brushes gone.

Some would tell you this brush is arguably one of the best brushes in the world.

It is like calling the Patriots a Sleeper team in the NFL.

If this is a sleeper in your den I would like to know what other brushes you own

1 53
 09-02-2016, 12:43 AM
User Info
My sleeper brush is my Dark green handles Omega Boar brush.  I think the performance of boar brushes in general is the great sleeper in bruhes.  The have back bone, soft tips and excellent flow thru.  I find in a strange way they are most similar to Manchurian or 2 band badger which have much thicker shafts than best or super badger.  Best and super need too much knot density to have backbone and then they become lather hogs.

Voila, boar is my sleeper

1 53
 09-02-2016, 02:00 AM
User Info
I have sold off most of my sleepers and the less great badgers in my den a while ago (sold off circa 50-60 badgers in 2014/2015)

They have to perform and they have to be present in my mind as PRIME BADGERS.

With that said, the brush that is a sleeper in my den is my 2012 Simpson Chubby 2 Limited Edition Best 3-band, low loft version in Ivory faint swirl.
I sold my Chubby 2 Super 3-band, because this CH2 Best LE has better backbone, softer tips, better face feel and better performance than the CH2 Super 3-band.
In fact this brush is so good I think Mark could have made it with a mixed knot of 3-band Super, 2-band Silvertip and 3-band Best hair.

It's a 10/10 brush and makes the 8 Chubby Manchurian's I own almost feel like average brushes in my den.

[Image: 4358ba42b37f8e61ad78bcd37095c5fe.jpg]
[Image: 13ccb3904627a7360fc9bbee073bc8b7.jpg]

24 5,841
 09-02-2016, 02:13 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
I have 4, all Simpson: Tulip 2 super, Emperor 2 super, P8 best and M6 Manchurian.  All of them have sat at the back of my brush cupboard for several months at some point because I found then too dense and too firm, but when I gave them one last try before posting them for sale my opinion had changed.

5 882
 09-02-2016, 04:21 AM
User Info
Great post! Mine is the Thater 4125/1 two-band fan shape. I have several pictures of it in my phone that are ready for the BST. For some reason I just never get around to doing it. I prefer bulbs over fans and if I am using a fan, I prefer smaller knots. I'm not supposed to like this brush by my own standards, but it is such an enjoyable and luxurious experience every time I use it.
[Image: 0ab01986562ced010ee340fdcc7eafc1.jpg]

20 102
 09-02-2016, 05:08 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
An M&F bulb, you say???

[Image: NNwrH4V.jpg]

Easily one of my best brushes. Here it is along with my Thater 4125/4. I thought I preferred fans, but the truth is...a well done bulb is KING.

159 1,316
 09-02-2016, 04:28 PM
User Info
I forget how much I enjoy my Thater 4292/5 2-band sometimes. I always enjoy my brushes with more backbone but I pick up that Thater and it's pure luxury. Very soft tips and makes a great lather even though I have to load the brush much longer than others that I have.

1 468
 09-03-2016, 04:08 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Brad Sears kindly addressed my query at length about his lettering process. It would seem this top rated brushmaker might learn from reading it also. Where was Brad placed in that rating again?

2 3,171
 09-03-2016, 06:45 PM
User Info
[Image: NCbEfbM.jpg]

Eric, that's a great looking brush. I would also pick an M&F bulb for my sleeper. I adore the grip on the highlander shaped handle, but I'm not impressed with the appearance of this knot. It's kind of like the maker was indecisive when shooting for fan vs bulb. And the symmetry is not perfect all around as I would normally expect from a high end brush. However, in use it is perfect. Delivers that softness with a lot of scrub that I really enjoy. After the inaugural shave I did not want to stop using it, and ended up using it for 18 straight shaves.

38 1,159
 09-04-2016, 07:24 AM
User Info
It cracks me up how many of you have Morris & Forndrans that are your "sleeper" brushes.  Must be nice, I'm envious.  I have two of them now and they are in no way sleepers.  I need as many of these as you all have so that I can be like "Oh yeah, I forgot how much I like this particular Morris and Forndran(!)."

1 468
 09-09-2016, 08:59 AM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info
(09-04-2016, 07:24 AM)SCShaver Wrote: It cracks me up how many of you have Morris & Forndrans that are your "sleeper" brushes.  Must be nice, I'm envious.  I have two of them now and they are in no way sleepers.  I need as many of these as you all have so that I can be like "Oh yeah, I forgot how much I like this particular Morris and Forndran(!)."
Definitely a "First World" problem, eh?  Biggrin 

I only own 6 brushes and they're all in regular use. Two badgers and 4 synthetics. No room for sleepers!

0 363