09-03-2016, 10:55 AM
User Info
Let me start by saying that I actually like the shave that I get from the Mongoose Razor and that I have owned all 3 versions of their stainless heads. Batch 1, 2 and 3. All 3 delivered a smooth shave. As for my experience with their customer service, not so smooth. 

Batch 1, no major issues. I ended up selling that one when I had the chance to buy a few vintage Gillette razors to add to my collection.

When the Batch 2 came out I purchased one. Unfortunately the head I got had the alignment issue which left the blade exposure more on one side than the other. Quick email to Mongoose and they had me send it back for an exchange. New one arrived and to my surprise, same alignment issue, guess they didn’t check. Another email and another return. New Batch 2 arrived and it was fine but like many of us, I sold that one also. Mongoose offered to reimburse my shipping but I never got anything. Wrote it off as it was only 2 Priority Mail boxes, Maybe $12 bucks.

Batch 3 came out with the newly designed pins which I liked. Bought a Brushed finished head only to trade it for a Polished Head. Now I’ve always left the blade in between shaves, I get 7 to 10 shaves out of a Feather blade. Has never been a problem until I got the Polished head.

New blade in the polished head on Monday, shaved for a week. Following Monday, change the blade and was shocked at what I saw. The amount of rust was unbelievable. (See Pictures at bottom) This is supposed to be Stainless Steel, 316 stainless no less. Now I know a little about stainless but only as it applies to the medical field. But I knew this shouldn’t happen.

May 4, 2016 Email with pictures to Mongoose. Immediate response from them saying “Yikes”, we’ve never seen anything like that. They recommended Flitz or Toothpaste which I knew wouldn’t work. They agreed to take a look.

May 11th sent it back.

May 14th Tracking says it was delivered.

June 2nd inquired on the status which Mongoose responded that they sent it to a lab and would have it back that week. 

June 27th 3 weeks later, inquired again on the status since I didn’t hear back. Mongoose responded that Lab had quarantine issue?

July 12th Now 2 Months, inquired again. Mongoose responded, they just got the razor back, will clean and return “ASAP” They thanked me for my patience to which I responded that I had lost patience but just being polite. And I speculated to what the issue with the metal might be from my experience with Stainless Steel. This grade of stainless shouldn’t rust or scale to this degree. Mongoose didn’t answer.

August 1st, another 2 weeks so I inquired again. Waited a week, Mongoose didn’t answer. Finally had to post through my Wife’s Facebook page to Mongoose to get a response. They removed the post even though it was very polite.

August 10th, Mongoose responded that they’d get to it in the next week or two. That they were doing me a favor. 

August 30th Mongoose sent me a tracking number – Finally it’s on the way.

September 1st – Received my Mongoose head back after 3 ½ months. 

Now that’s Mongoose’s idea of Customer Service. 3 and a Half Months! Never got an explanation of the issue. Just a reminder that they were doing me a “favor”. 

At this point I’ll do Mongoose the favor of never doing business with them in the future. I’ll sell this head with full disclosure and be happy to take the loss. There are plenty of companies that would be happy to take my future business.
[Image: meO7mDA.jpg]

10 130
 09-03-2016, 11:10 AM
User Info
No argument here. Lousy customer service for sure.  They should immediately have shipped you a new razor.  Cleaning up your rusty razor gives you no asurance the problem won't return, as there appears to be a defect with the stainless steel.

50 6,115
 09-03-2016, 11:13 AM
User Info
Here's a picture of what they returned to me.    And I've added a picture showing that the top plate is highly magnetic, not constant with 316 Stainless.

[Image: vBdnkpC.jpg]

[Image: GvUI4iD.jpg]

10 130
 09-03-2016, 11:18 AM
User Info
The head looks like it has been soaked in sea water for a month. I thought 316 steel is marine grade and doesn't rust. Maybe it is not really marine grade. The owners of Mongoose Razors couldn't give a damn. Sorry this happened to you.

121 13,128
 09-03-2016, 11:21 AM
User Info
This is disappointing to hear. Sorry mate.

3 337
 09-03-2016, 11:22 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
You have addressed their problem with customer service, and rightly. But I feel it fair to point out your consumerism is also lacking. You trade two razors off and then thought 'third time is the charm'.

2 3,171
 09-03-2016, 01:18 PM
User Info
So, what do you think the issue is given the rust and your experience with stainless steel?

I've seen some rust in stainless steel razors and with replated razors too. Usually I try to oil them now with clipper oil and a q-tip now. Nothing more than tea stains from the blade though. Your picture looks like straight up corrosion and pitting.

What caused that?

9 1,415
 09-03-2016, 01:26 PM
User Info
(09-03-2016, 11:13 AM)dad3*3 Wrote: Here's a picture of what they returned to me.

[Image: vBdnkpC.jpg]

What could these people be possibly thinking by sending this back to you as a fix to the problem?

50 6,115
 09-03-2016, 01:29 PM
  • clint64
  • Atlanta, GA
User Info
That is just awful.  I would consider sending the head to Delta Echo.  The bead blasting and coating should prevent any further issues and look better than what you have now.  Just a thought.

7 1,228
 09-03-2016, 02:47 PM
User Info
(09-03-2016, 01:18 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: So, what do you think the issue is given the rust and your experience with stainless steel?

I've seen some rust in stainless steel razors and with replated razors too. Usually I try to oil them now with clipper oil and a q-tip now. Nothing more than tea stains from the blade though. Your picture looks like straight up corrosion and pitting.

What caused that?

That's a good question.  I have to really question as to whether the material is really 316 Stainless as they claim.  My experience is like yours, Tea Staining at the most.  This was more like what would be found in a very low grade steel.  It's funny, the Brushed finish head I've had from this company didn't do this, not anything close.  Just the polished  head and I didn't do anything differently.

10 130
 09-03-2016, 03:14 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Cut your losses, move on; you've posted and Mongoose lost this round to the Cobra with bad PR. Next time when an issue comes up remember this as a lesson. All of these new razors are like new model cars. The first year always has teething problems and smart buyers wait until the second or even third year to see if the wheels stay on.

2 3,171
 09-03-2016, 03:36 PM
User Info
(09-03-2016, 03:14 PM)kav Wrote: Cut your losses, move on; you've posted and Mongoose lost this round to the Cobra with bad PR. Next time when an issue comes up remember this as a lesson. All of these new razors are like new model cars. The first year always has teething problems and  smart buyers wait until the second or even third year to see if the wheels stay on.

You're right on cutting my losses.  Problem is that I didn't have this problem with the first two versions, just the 3rd.  Normally companies improve over time but that's not been my experience with this company.

10 130
 09-03-2016, 03:39 PM
User Info
(09-03-2016, 03:14 PM)kav Wrote: Cut your losses, move on; you've posted and Mongoose lost this round to the Cobra with bad PR. Next time when an issue comes up remember this as a lesson. All of these new razors are like new model cars. The first year always has teething problems and  smart buyers wait until the second or even third year to see if the wheels stay on.

This is good advice.

11 1,169
 09-03-2016, 04:00 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
There was a recent thread to the effect all these chrome plated Zamack razors were on the verge of disintegrating and a poster found his logic of a stainless steel model superior. Unless chance grants me a Wolfman or ATT I guess I will just have to muddle on with my Mergress and Merkur. Owners of said razors, and others may want to give input of positive customer service here.

2 3,171
 09-03-2016, 04:25 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Ok, but it's a fact that zamak razors are not as durable as stainless steel razors are. I've tried numerous of them and I can say that with certainty. Mongoose razors, at least the brushed B3 and the V2 that I have, are indeed better than any Merkur razor I've tried, including the adjustable models, at least in terms of quality. You can't even compare them. Another fact is that the finish of a Merkur razor is not at all good, especially comparing to an EJ or a Muhle razor. I remember I visited a vendor once to buy a Merkur razor. I had to open at least 5 of them to find one with no small dents or discolourings on the inner of the head. Where is the quality control? Also, I am sure I have seen another thread on a forum with pictures of an ATT razor, I think it was the S1 but I'd have to check it again, with rust spots on the inner of the head.

It's really unfortunate what happened to you. Bad luck. Totally unacceptable.

49 1,999
 09-03-2016, 04:54 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Cosmetics and durability are two different creatures. I have a set of inexpensive OLD HICKORY high carbon kitchen kinves better than the day I bought them 30 years ago. I hate to tell you how many stainless steel knives; dull, pitted and tea stained with cracked handles from China I see tossed in the dumpster on a regular basis. This isn't a passion play between the evil forces of Zamack and six winged angelic Stainless Steel. Make something right within it's parameters or let the hype of innate superiority lead to negative posts.

2 3,171
 09-03-2016, 05:25 PM
User Info
kav, I don't understand what you're trying to get at here.

Guy bought a very expensive razor. Sent it back due to a legitimate problem and received poor treatment. I'd say four months is poor service along with returning a very questionable product in hideous condition.

You bring up zamak and then specifically fish for comments on Merkur razors and then chastise the first person who responds with some. Granted, you solicited positive experiences, but how fair is that to only ask for one side of a topic?

The issue as I see it is something about Mongoose. They're not "cutting their teeth" as you put it in my opinion. Been around and made some razors...

So, Merkurs and other pot metal razors aside. Stainless in general versus other materials aside, what is the root cause of this particular problem? Not looking at the industry in general. Seems like a good thread to me. A specific issue on topic to the forum.

Vendor gives customer the run around for four months and doesn't explain the issue or resolve it satisfactorily.

Insert vendor/manufacturer and product of your choice. It's something I feel worth of discussion.

If you posted about the butcher giving you poor service and undesirable resolution I wouldn't counter your argument by waxing philosophically about the experiences I've had at the fruit stand and asking everyone to chime in who's had a great mango and papaya.

9 1,415
 09-03-2016, 05:45 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
I think we all agree Mongoose didn't deliver and perhaps be made aware of this thread with opportunity to explain what went horribly wrong with both product and service. I did not use this thread to chastise anybody or act as shill for the Council of Zamack Manufacturers. I was merely giving example of how advanced ( and how long have we had ROSTFREI steel around anyway) technology can lead to sloppy attention to detail. RMS Titanic went down in waters full of wooden fishing trawlers. Somebody forgot keys to the locker containing lookout binnoculars, they were trying to break a crossing record in a reported icefield and could have altered course south, the helmsman possibly made a reverse correction as the bridge commands themselves had been changed and if they had hit the iceberg head on the damage would not have been mortal. This was my point. I hate papayas.

2 3,171
 09-03-2016, 06:05 PM
User Info
(09-03-2016, 04:25 PM)nikos.a Wrote: Ok, but it's a fact that zamak razors are not as durable as stainless steel razors are. I've tried numerous of them and I can say that with certainty. Mongoose razors, at least the brushed B3 and the V2 that I have, are indeed better than any Merkur razor I've tried, including the adjustable models, at least in terms of quality. You can't even compare them. Another fact is that the finish of a Merkur razor is not at all good, especially comparing to an EJ or a Muhle razor. I remember I visited a vendor once to buy a Merkur razor. I had to open at least 5 of them to find one with no small dents or discolourings on the inner of the head. Where is the quality control? Also, I am sure I have seen another thread on a forum with pictures of an ATT razor, I think it was the S1 but I'd have to check it again, with rust spots on the inner of the head.

It's really unfortunate what happened to you. Bad luck. Totally unacceptable.

My 10yr old 34c looks nothing like the Mongoose in this thread...

160 1,038
 09-03-2016, 06:25 PM
User Info
Everyone knows the Titanic was switched in dry dock with the Olympic and the sinking was a giant insurance scam.

What I am looking to understand is what caused the razor to corrode.

I can't stand an unresolved mystery. Especially when they say that a lab was involved.
What did the lab say?

Why wasn't a replacement sent immediately while they investigated?

I'm also unclear with the switch from satin finish to polished. Was the exchange made with Mongoose or a trade between private parties?

If the latter then why accept the return at all? Not knowing the clear chain of events leads to even more questions for me. If it was a trade and Mongoose was trying to do a favor, what did they determine to be the problem?

Maybe a harsh cleaner or degreaser was used but not adequately rinsed? Maybe something that reacted with water aggressively?

I hate to speculate. Surely if it was a lesser grade of steel others would be seeing similar issues. Wouldn't they?

I also wonder if the tools used to make the head left particles of a lesser ferrous metal embedded in the finish which rusted. Still though, why the long time and lack of explanation. Even if they were unsure a theory would be better than not saying anything at all. Why return the thing to the customer? Refund the money or replace it would have been better options in my mind. Mongoose should eat the loss and move on I say. Not the customer.

9 1,415