09-03-2016, 06:31 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
If this razor failed so miserably it has friends out there and we should hear about them. This is mere theory, but inferior runs of steel by design or fault do get into the marketplace and mistakes in product fabrication lead to failure. Sadly, the customer isn't paid for playing Quality Control engineer. At least an airbag didn't explode on you!

2 3,171
 09-04-2016, 01:09 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(09-03-2016, 06:05 PM)nervosa1901 Wrote:
(09-03-2016, 04:25 PM)nikos.a Wrote: Ok, but it's a fact that zamak razors are not as durable as stainless steel razors are. I've tried numerous of them and I can say that with certainty. Mongoose razors, at least the brushed B3 and the V2 that I have, are indeed better than any Merkur razor I've tried, including the adjustable models, at least in terms of quality. You can't even compare them. Another fact is that the finish of a Merkur razor is not at all good, especially comparing to an EJ or a Muhle razor. I remember I visited a vendor once to buy a Merkur razor. I had to open at least 5 of them to find one with no small dents or discolourings on the inner of the head. Where is the quality control? Also, I am sure I have seen another thread on a forum with pictures of an ATT razor, I think it was the S1 but I'd have to check it again, with rust spots on the inner of the head.

It's really unfortunate what happened to you. Bad luck. Totally unacceptable.

My 10yr old 34c looks nothing like the Mongoose in this thread...
I know. I have some vintage Gillettes from the 1950s that look brand new. If you are careful with a razor, it can last a lifetime.

Something really strange happened with this one. Like someone shaved with sea water.

49 1,996
 09-04-2016, 03:26 PM
User Info
From my experience with Stainless , again, only with medical equipment, my guess is that this head isn't actually the grade of Stainless that Mongoose thought they were getting. 

I did a quick simple and rudimentary test. 316 should be Non-Magnetic. That's one of the reasons it's used in many medical applications. The bottom plate is fairly non-magnetic while the top plate is Highly Magnetic, a clear indication that it is not made of 316 Stainless. The top plate also showed the majority of the rust and when they returned it to me, didn't clean up well. 

In defense of Mongoose, the shop may have switched out or used a lesser grade of stainless especially since 316 is a bit more difficult to machine. On the other side, any manufacturer of product should test and verify materials. 

The picture below shows just a cheap low grade magnet that I had in the office. One that's attached to a small screwdriver.

Do we have any Metallurgists in the group that might throw in their opinion? 

[Image: 7XxMQYP.jpg][Image: A1oi8Zz.jpg]

10 130
 09-04-2016, 04:28 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
I apologise for bringing up Zamack razors. I tried making a observation about known products that have established a reputation, not a head on head (rusting or dented) with another material. Obviously, somewhere, somehow a major clusterpluck produced this shipwreck. the bigger clusterpluck and shipwreck was
Rikki Rikki Tava behaving like a groundhog instead of a mongoose.

2 3,171
 09-04-2016, 05:02 PM
User Info
There is no excuse for this. They should have at least offered some kind of explanation of what happen.  It shouldn't have taken so long either. When the Mongoose team was working on Batch 2, I thought they kept the customers in the dark too much. We were waiting for weeks at a time and they rarely gave any updates of what was going on. I think their customer service stinks.

5 1,537
 09-04-2016, 05:10 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
At this point it may be best to sit back, defer further comment and see if they respond. These posts are like teenage girls posting erotic selfies. Once something is on the internet, it's always on the internet.

2 3,171
 09-04-2016, 05:33 PM
User Info
In my opinion, them not reimbursing you for shipping twice is a big sign of poor customer service. Then giving the run around for over three months and then having the audacity to claim they're doing a favor? Unless I hear more about them making these accounts of bad service right, I'd not give them my hard earned money. There's other artists such as Shane at Blackland who communicates well with the community and stand behind their products. Make them take notice by voting with your wallets.

Just my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 342
 09-05-2016, 05:24 PM
User Info
Thanks for sharing your experience. It is very telling.

52 476
 09-08-2016, 06:55 AM
User Info
Well I sent an email 4 days ago now and still no response.  I sent along pictures of the back side of the top plate showing the scratches, just in case they sent it to a shop to have it cleaned.  Wanted their management to see what was returned to me.  Also included a picture showing that the top plate is clearly magnetic which it shouldn't be for 316 stainless.  

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt but with no answers, it's getting tough.

I would love to hear from anyone that has a Batch 3 Polished Head out there to see if they have had any issues like mine.

Thanks

PS - And now they seem to have banned my Wife's Facebook account from posting anything on their page.

10 130
 09-08-2016, 07:33 AM
User Info
Sorry about your experience. I hope you get some resolution in the very near future.

39 3,919
 09-08-2016, 08:57 AM
User Info
Ouch!  Unbelievable that they gave you the run around for so long.  I am also flabbergasted that they didn't give you an explanation, a new razor, and an apology.  They had to know this story would get around.

74 2,274
 09-08-2016, 09:49 AM
User Info
Cross a Mongoose off of my wish list. BTW, everyone should too---to send a message.

39 3,919
 09-08-2016, 09:53 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(09-08-2016, 08:57 AM)merkur man Wrote: They had to know this story would get around.

This.

I wonder what they were thinking.

49 1,996
 09-08-2016, 12:37 PM
  • Bony
  • New York , USA
User Info
What a shame ! No one in  this community deserve such a bad treatment . Thanks for sharing with us.
Sense to me that the folks from Mongoose are in wrong business .

10 423
 09-08-2016, 12:55 PM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
Has someone from Mongoose ever fully given an explanation as of yet?

61 507
 09-08-2016, 01:10 PM
User Info
(09-08-2016, 08:57 AM)merkur man Wrote: Ouch!  Unbelievable that they gave you the run around for so long.  I am also flabbergasted that they didn't give you an explanation, a new razor, and an apology.  They had to know this story would get around.

Or maybe they just don't care! Mongoose has sold 1000's of units in the last few years. Maybe they don't care as much about their customers.
From my personal experience with them a few years ago, they were extremely nice, personal and respectful... Something must have changed over time?!
Would love to hear their side of the story.. Shocked they would do such a thing. Awful customer service IMO...

13 775
 09-08-2016, 01:37 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Truth is you expect different approach from a company that sells hi-end razors that cost nearly 200$.

Another fact is that threads on forums like this one cost a lot more to a company than a new replacement head. Just think about it. People already changed their minds on buying a Mongoose in the future. This happens with other products as well. A negative experience has an impact on a company reputation.

49 1,996
 09-08-2016, 04:07 PM
  • RSP1
  • Western NY
User Info
(09-08-2016, 01:37 PM)nikos.a Wrote: Truth is you expect different approach from a company that sells hi-end razors that cost nearly 200$.

Another fact is that threads on forums like this one cost a lot more to a company than a new replacement head. Just think about it. People already changed their minds on buying a Mongoose in the future. This happens with other products as well. A negative experience has an impact on a company reputation.

Couldn't agree more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 323
 09-08-2016, 09:26 PM
User Info
I feel like posting a link to this thread in their Facebook just to rile them up but I'd just be banned. Might be worth it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

2 342
 09-10-2016, 10:13 AM
User Info
(09-08-2016, 09:49 AM)primotenore Wrote: Cross a Mongoose off of my wish list. BTW, everyone should too---to send a message.

I agree.  This is egregious customer service.  The OP should consider posting this on other shave forums.

50 6,089