Poll: RazoRock Plissoft Synthetic VS Maggard Synthetic
 09-05-2016, 06:34 AM
User Info
If you had to choose only one shaving brush what was your choice ???

RazoRock Plissoft Synthetic OR Maggard Synthetic

Thank you Smile

0 58
 09-05-2016, 07:39 AM
  • racebmx
  • Sapone Di Paolo
  • Charleston, South Carolina
User Info
I voted Maggard.  Merely because I haven't used the RR.  The Maggard brush is hard to beat.  Works great, looks great and dirt cheap!

11 678
 09-05-2016, 07:46 AM
User Info
Plissoft. I've had a few and they've all been good latherers. Never cared for Maggard's handles and I don't care for RR's new Big Chrome Barber handle either, but it holds the new silvertip Plissoft fibre, and if you can get past the hype of a "silvertip synthetic" it's a really nice knot. I think it gives the Simpsons Chubby synth a run for the money and does a few things better.

29 1,776
 09-05-2016, 11:11 AM
  • garyg
  • Great Lakes
User Info
I've purchased both while sampling the field of synthetics over the past year or so.  I'm not sure that the basic knot is any different between these two - they are nearly identical in specs, looks and feel.  Of the synths I've tried, only Muhle and Simpson's stood out as being truly different animals.  

But the question is the choice between the Maggard's and the RazoRock.  Although slightly loftier and without as prominent a glue bump the Maggard's feels like it has the same backbone as the shorter, bumpier Plissoft/RazoRock brush.  Thus I'd expect the RR to be floppier if it was of the same loft.  They both perform about the same in my experience.  The one prominent difference is in price, my Maggard's was about 40% cheaper than the RR, but when the expensive one is only $20 that's a small edge.  RR is just probably trying to grab a better margin.  If I had to select just one of these for my only brush I'd go Maggard's.

43 459
 09-05-2016, 12:03 PM
User Info
I own 4 Maggards and 8 Razorocks (including backups of each brush)
For my money they are pretty much identical knot and feel wise. But the Maggards handles are something else. But you have to enjoy larger Chubby 3 and even bigger handles.

But for my money the edge goes to Maggards.

IMHO all the synthetics I have owned from Mühle and EJ are not to my liking. Owned 20-25 from 2013-2015, sold them all.

24 5,840
 09-10-2016, 12:49 AM
User Info
Maggards have more splay, RR has more backbone in my experience.

I prefer the Maggard knot, but. I really like the bruce handle...

10 1,128