09-05-2016, 01:27 PM
User Info
Hello,

Brand new to wet shaving.  No irritation when I go WTG, but then I don't get the close shave.  When I go ATG, I get irritation every time.  Have used several different methods.  Used pre-shave oil, changed several blades, but get irritation everytime I go ATG.  I don't have to have BBS, but I would like some suggestions to see if I can improve or find out what am I doing wrong.

Thanks.

0 24
 09-05-2016, 01:40 PM
  • Tokyospike
  • Artist's Club Recruiter
  • New York City
User Info
Hi Biren - I'm also new, only 23 shaves in, and some real experts will be along momentarily to help you out. But I had the same issue, only on my neck, for about the first 10 shaves.
First, NO PRESSURE. Second, stretch the skin. Third, try more XTG than ATG. And fourth, if it's close, don't insist on getting BBS - you can try again next time.

A real good aftershave balm (aloe, Shea butter, etc.) is a must.

Eventually, I found the right angles & passes . . .

----------
Spike

0 107
 09-05-2016, 02:25 PM
User Info
I've been we shaving for many years and still don't always get a BBS shave on my neck.  In fact, I generally go for a DFS.  I would say that prep is important.  I'd also suggest trying cross the grain (XTG) passes to see if you can get where you want with or without an atg pass.

3 131
 09-05-2016, 03:27 PM
User Info
XTG almostalways gives irritation on neck.  If you watch videos a lot of guys who do 3 passshaves shave the same directoion twice on neck.  Check the grain in your neck, not always in the same direction as your face.

Get to know your problem areas.  Its just a little stubble, not disease so relax, you can ease up there

1 53
 09-05-2016, 03:45 PM
User Info
I'll politely suggest foregoing ATG on your neck entirely. I have some reliable razor burn spots in the hollows of my neck that will not tolerate ATG - yet will tolerate a daily 4-pass shave (1 WTG followed by 3 XTG passes). I believe most people will find luck with XTG passes in trouble spots. 

Ensure that you're taking the necessary time to create a rich, thick, protective lather. Map your beard growth (your neck is likely different than your cheeks). Start with only WTG passes, and slowly over time work in a XTG pass. Don't be afraid to stop at one or two passes on your neck, especially if you shave daily. Finally, take a day or two off when you can - your face will thank you for it!

28 1,102
 09-05-2016, 07:37 PM
User Info
Are you showering before the shave? This really helps a ton, also I like to use the bloom water as pre shave and it works good. Try different blades get a sample of the favs on here, I really like the Polsilver. Don't focus on a bbs shave, focus on a comfortable shave then slowly work on the bbs. Also, shave soap... This made a huge difference for me, currently a big fan of Caties Bubble but got some mystic waters on the way. Changing soaps from body shop to Caties was a big one, much more protective that got me a closer more comfortable shave, then the Polsilver added to that. It's really about finding the right soaps, right blade, right razor and getting that technique down, it'll come! Also, follow the shave up with cold water rinse, then a good balm and unrefined Shea butter. Like others said don't go against the gain, go with it then across the gain, don't use pressure, that was a hard one for me coming from an electric razor, even when I thought I wasn't using any pressure, I still had a bit. Also, don't go for that bbs shave on the first pass.

2 465
 09-05-2016, 07:48 PM
User Info
@biren44 what soap are you using?  It's not the primary factor in a comfortable shave but a quality product helps.  Prep and especially technique trump all.  Blades and razors are rarely the problem.

3 131
 09-06-2016, 05:59 AM
User Info
(09-05-2016, 07:48 PM)Texchappy Wrote: @biren44 what soap are you using?  It's not the primary factor in a comfortable shave but a quality product helps.  Prep and especially technique trump all.  Blades and razors are rarely the problem.
I use Proraso green, Razorock XXX and several different artisan soap samples that I received from one of the member on this forum.  I am waiting for soap that I ordered from Mike's.  I also prep by washing (jack black scrub) and then use pre shave products (Proraso preshave or art of shaving pre shave oil).

0 24
 09-06-2016, 11:17 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
It could be your technique, but some people can't shave ATG.  I am one of those people.  I only shave WTG.  I get razor bumps if I shave in any other direction, so I just do 2 WTG passes.  You might want to try only shaving WTG until you get your technique down, then add and XTG pass and if that works for you, you can add an ATG pass.

3 561
 09-09-2016, 06:23 AM
  • RSP1
  • Western NY
User Info
I'll second the previous - don't go for BBS on your neck.  I just go one pass and touch ups with my ATT SE1.  It's such an efficient shaver that it's all I need.  BBS most places and DFS on my neck this way without irritation.

12 323
 09-09-2016, 12:44 PM
User Info
I always got bad irritation and some weepers on my neck around throat area. I had to lower my expectations and go for DFS instead of BBS in that area. Now I get great comfortable shaves. Also finding the right blade for me helped. I finally found that the GSB in a R41 is perfect for ATG passes on my neck. Otherwise I have to go diagonally with other setups.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

2 342
 09-09-2016, 03:56 PM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
For me, the biggest revelations in shaving my neck were: 1. Find the correct LOW angle, so that you are cutting and not scraping. and 2. No pressure. Just enough to keep the razor on your skin. If you are visibly deforming the skin with your razor, it's too much pressure. 

Good luck and keep on practicing your touch.

0 912
 09-09-2016, 04:08 PM
User Info
First off I'm not ever worried about BBS..DFS is good enough for me. 

I just can't go against the grain on the neck.  I do 1 slow deliberate pass WTG from the adams apple down.  Above the adams apple I do a WTG and XTG and call it done on the neck.  I also never stretch the skin on my neck.  Lifting my chin a little and turning my head slightly in to the opposite side is enough to give a flat surface on the neck.

0 115
 09-09-2016, 04:13 PM
  • RSP1
  • Western NY
User Info
Common theme here is DFS > BBS if you get neck irritation. I've never tried for BBS on my neck and probably won't ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 323
 09-10-2016, 01:00 AM
User Info
Try pre-shaves but the guys are right, aiming for DFS is better than BBS. 

BBS is more work, more prone to irritation, and it will grow back tomorrow anyway. I shave daily so DFS is good enough.

11 1,169