09-10-2016, 09:02 AM
User Info
As it seems that modern Plisson brushes are not up to scratch for the price, I'm thinking of a replacement 'luxury' brush.

I guess the Kent is the prototype lathering with a cloud kinda brush. I like that kinda brush but don't mind a small amount of scrub.  Here's some other options I'm thinking of:

VP Leonhardy 700850
Vulfix 377 or 41
Thater 4125

Is there a Simpson's up to $200 that I might like?
Another brush that I might like (that it would be easy for my wife to order)?

3 126
 09-10-2016, 11:36 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
I own all of those brushes. 

The VP is an amazing brush with great flow, comfort to hold and springy backbone but not super soft tips. No scritch, just not as soft. 

The Thater is also a marvel, medium backbone and density and super soft tips. This brush would be my one and only except for three. A Shavemac 2 band, a Paladin pk47 and my Vulfix 377 in Silvertip

Vulfix super is not their highest grade of hair. The Silvertip is super soft a luxurious like a Kent. There is less backbone than the Thater but not by much.

Your paying a lot for nam with Simpson but you will find chubby 1 in super and 2 in best as well as Simpson Polo under your price. There are many Simpsons that are delightful brushes. I love my chubby 1 in super.

7 445
 09-10-2016, 01:48 PM
User Info
(09-10-2016, 11:36 AM)jtmke Wrote: I own all of those brushes. 

The VP is an amazing brush with great flow, comfort to hold and springy backbone but not super soft tips. No scritch, just not as soft. 

The Thater is also a marvel, medium backbone and density and super soft tips. This brush would be my one and only except for three. A Shavemac 2 band, a Paladin pk47 and my Vulfix 377 in Silvertip

Vulfix super is not their highest grade of hair. The Silvertip is super soft a luxurious like a Kent. There is less backbone than the Thater but not by much.

Your paying a lot for nam with Simpson but you will find chubby 1 in super and 2 in best as well as Simpson Polo under your price. There are many Simpsons that are delightful brushes. I love my chubby 1 in super.

Yes, the Vulfix I was looking at is Silvertip as well as thinking about Simpson's in super.

Interesting about the Thater and VP Leonhardy; I was thinking it might be the opposite.

3 126
 09-10-2016, 02:38 PM
User Info
The Vulfix 40 or 41 would be good choices.  The vendors I've seen carry them in Vulfix Super, which is the same hair as Simpson Best.  However, they're also available in Vulfix Silvertip, which is the same hair as Simpson Super.  The only vendor I've seen with the 40 and 41 in Super is The Superior Shave.  They're both excellent brushes if you want softness more than backbone. I would not call either of them floppy. 

Any of the 26mm+ Thater 4125 would also be good choices.

I've never tried VP, but their handles do not seem to be of the same quality as either Vulfix or Thater.

48 5,729
 09-11-2016, 04:14 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
You should consider a shavemac with a finest knot.  The Experts section of the Configurator on the shavemac website allows you to customise your brush in terms of knot shape, type of badger and size (both diameter and loft), and handle shape and colour.  I have a shavemac Beehive with a finest knot and it's one of the top performers among my 36 brushes.  Another knot to consider is the TGN finest 2-band; Vladimir Ferdman can make you a beautiful custom brush with this knot.

5 885