09-10-2016, 11:05 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Trying new soaps, brushes, razors, and other products adds to the enjoyment of this hobby, although few of them end up in my permanent rotation. So many new products have been coming out, that it's impossible to try a significant portion of them. I now primarily try products others have recommended that seem interesting, a new version of a product that I already enjoy, or something that is unique. These are some of the soaps that I've tried lately, and perhaps others will want to share those that they've tried:

1. Sapone Di Paolo - Arancione: Paolo has just released a new formulation of his soap that I think is fantastic, and the sweet orange scent of this soap is out of this world. The scent is very natural, as is his lime scented soap. His new larger container is nice, and his new labels are very well done. I enjoyed this soap very much, and have ordered his other new scents. Highly recommended.

2. Abbate Y La Mantia - Krokos: A unique, yellow-colored soap made with a saffron base and a saffron scent, made in Italy by Tcheon Fung Sing. This is an expensive soap that comes in a large, heavy glass jar with beautiful labeling and packaging. This soap easily produces an abundance of lather with plenty of cushion and glide, and has excellent post-shave properties. However, although the saffron scent was pleasant, it was just too mild for me and was hard to detect during the shave. Although this is a very good soap, I don't find it produced well enough for me to justify the cost.

3. Meißner Tremonia - Wild Oranges: Another orange-scented soap, although not as "natural" as Sapone Di Paolo's Arancione, but a scent that I enjoyed. If you like the performance of Meißner soaps, and scents such as Dark Limes, you'll probably like Wild Oranges. 

4. Nanny's Silly Soap: NSS recently released tallow soaps in many of her scents, and I've enjoyed several shaves using Moroccan Sands. I've always enjoyed NSS soaps, and think that the tallow formulation produces and even better performing lather. She's also using a new tub, instead of the old tins, although it still could be a tad larger for those using a large brush. 

5. Le Père Lucien, Traditional LE: LPL released a LE tallow soap with a mild, citrus scent. In general, I have just as many excellent non-tallow soaps as I do tallow soaps, but as with NSS, I find this soap performs somewhat better than his other soaps. I would hope that Cyril would keep this soap as a permanent addition to his line-up.
Addendum: Le Père Lucien - Havane: Cyril frequently makes soaps for forums or vendors in scents that aren't available on his website. He made this vegetable soap for http://www.artdubarbier.com, and is 100g of a wonderfully scented soap in a small white jar that lathers like a typical LPL soap. The cost of the soap is reasonable (21.90 euro), but shipping is very high, making this an expensive soap for such little product. On the other hand, for lovers of LPL, it's a must have. It's just too bad it's not available in a 200g soap on his site, or at least something with a similar scent. The scent is described as, "warm and woody with sweet notes of cigars and rum, an invitation to holidays in the streets of Havana."

38 5,200
 09-10-2016, 12:02 PM
User Info
I recently tried out Stirling Soaps because of what others have said about them on this forum. Until this morning, I was using the two soaps below exclusively for the past three weeks. 

Stirling Scots Pine Sheep Soap--This is a mutton tallow based soft soap with shea butter, lanolin, and Scots Pine essential oils, along with other natural ingredients. I tried out this soap in particular because of what a member of this forum wrote about this soap. The soap has a light and fresh Scots Pine scent, which is nothing like a pine air freshener or Pine Sol. The lather is extremely cushioning, the second most cushioning soap I have tried, and equals if not surpasses Trumper's, D.R. Harris, TOBS, T&H, and Acca Kappa shave creams with regard to cushioning. The slickness is very good, but not as slick as say Saponificio Varesino or MWF. It gave me a great post shave feel--soft and smooth skin. It is a soap I will keep in rotation. 

Stirling Bare and Naked Shave Soap--This is a beef tallow based soft soap with shea butter, lanolin, and other natural ingredients. There is no added scent to this soap hence the labeling "Bare and Naked." Although there is no scent added to this soap, I did detect a slight citrus scent to it. This could be attributed to the fact that I bought a refill puck wrapped in a biodegradable plastic rather than a filled and sealed plastic tub. The puck was packaged along with bath soaps I purchased, one of which was scented with citronella, so the scent of this soap may have rubbed off. While I stated above that the Pine Sheep soap was the second most cushioning soap I have ever tried; this is the most cushioning, the number one in cushioning, soap I have ever tried. It is more cushioning than any other soap or shave cream I have ever used. Be aware, however, that I have only used the mid-price range shave creams, the English and Italian creams mentioned above, so I do not have any experience with the higher end creams. The slickness is good, but not as good as the Pine Sheep Soap above. I would have preferred this soap to be less cushioning and more slick. Would I buy it again? Yes. Would I keep it in my regular rotation? No because I prefer using a scented soap. 

The Pine Sheep soap above is the only mutton tallow shave soap sold by Stirling, and I am wondering if the other soaps more closely resemble my experience with the Bare & Naked.

1 92
 09-10-2016, 12:47 PM
User Info
(09-10-2016, 11:05 AM)evnpar Wrote: Trying new soaps, brushes, razors, and other products adds to the enjoyment of this hobby, although few of them end up in my permanent rotation. So many new products have been coming out, that it's impossible to try a significant portion of them. I now primarily try products others have recommended that seem interesting, a new version of a product that I already enjoy, or something that is unique. These are some of the soaps that I've tried lately, and perhaps others will want to share those that they've tried:

1. Sapone Di Paolo - Arancione: Paolo has just released a new formulation of his soap that I think is fantastic, and the sweet orange scent of this soap is out of this world. The scent is very natural, as is his lime scented soap. His new larger container is nice, and his new labels are very well done. I enjoyed this soap very much, and have ordered his other new scents. Highly recommended.

2. Abbate Y La Mantia - Krokos: A unique, yellow-colored soap made with a saffron base and a saffron scent, made in Italy by Tcheon Fung Sing. This is an expensive soap that comes in a large, heavy glass jar with beautiful labeling and packaging. This soap easily produces an abundance of lather with plenty of cushion and glide, and has excellent post-shave properties. However, although the saffron scent was pleasant, it was just too mild for me and was hard to detect during the shave. Although this is a very good soap, I don't find it produced well enough for me to justify the cost.

3. Meißner Tremonia - Wild Oranges: Another orange-scented soap, although not as "natural" as Sapone Di Paolo's Arancione, but a scent that I enjoyed. If you like the performance of Meißner soaps, and scents such as Dark Limes, you'll probably like Wild Oranges. 

4. Nanny's Silly Soap: NSS recently released tallow soaps in many of her scents, and I've enjoyed several shaves using Moroccan Sands. I've always enjoyed NSS soaps, and think that the tallow formulation produces and even better performing lather. She's also using a new tub, instead of the old tins, although it still could be a tad larger for those using a large brush. 

5. Le Père Lucien, Traditional LE: LPL released a LE tallow soap with a mild, citrus scent. In general, I have just as many excellent non-tallow soaps as I do tallow soaps, but as with NSS, I find this soap performs somewhat better than his other soaps. I would hope that Cyril would keep this soap as a permanent addition to his line-up.

On the LPL tallow soap, totally agree with you comments on the performance. The scent, while I don't find it disagreeable, is not one of my favorites. I really like the LE Havane that he did.

2 336
 09-10-2016, 01:12 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
(09-10-2016, 12:47 PM)Pfirnett Wrote: On the LPL tallow soap, totally agree with you comments on the performance. The scent, while I don't find it disagreeable, is not one of my favorites. I really like it he LE Havane that he did.

I forgot to report on my experience with Havane LE. I agree, a terrific soap and scent, only I wish it were available in 200g like the rest of his soaps.

38 5,200
 09-10-2016, 01:39 PM
User Info
I tend to stick with my tried and true favorites, especially when it comes to artisans. There are so many new artisans, popping up daily it seems and the differences are not usually any better and more often worse. I like to support the older artisans that have put in the time and effort and especially those that are vendors and artisans of The Shave Nook. I'd hate to see these ladies and gentleman go out of business due to an oversaturated marketplace.

I'm going to place an order for the new Sapone di Paolo soap in the sweet orange. I'm sure I'll like it and if so I'll get a couple more.

1 159
 09-10-2016, 02:03 PM
User Info
Nuavia Verde - I really liked the Blu and Rossa but Verde must be my least favorite. The scent reminds me too much of Saponificio 70th. Too cologne-ish and a little more would be on cloying territory. 

Dapper Dragon Frank Incense and Myrrh - I liked the perfomance of DD, it's an excellent soap. DD can easily go toe to toe with top artisan brands. My nitpick? The way it looks in the container can be off putting but the perfomance is undeniable.

Reef Point Submariner - I've had RP for a while now however it's only recently I gave it a proper test. It was simply excellent. Very easy to lather, very slick and protective. Right up there at the top of my favorite artisan soaps. The scent is dark and cologne-ish I like it. It's not one of my favorite scents but I like it.

Mike's Hungarian Lavander - The lavander is a bit medicinal. I like it but I've had better performance from other artisan made soaps. I should probably re-test it again.

CRSW v1 and v2- Only been properly testing this recently but I don't know guy, the soap just doesn't perform as well for me as other did. One thing with my stuff is that I never give up on them. Some soaps need more water, some need less, some needs more swirls etc etc. I know I'll crack this nut.

Mystic Water (brown windsor) - Same with CRSW and Mike's, however this soap is a bit trickier to lather in my experience but the slickness is actually pretty exceptional. Not even B&M is this slick in my estimation. The scent can be overwhelming however after a few minutes of lathering this soap I see it's charms. I'm actually liking the scent, it's exotic to my nose.

Bufflehead Fletcher - I got the suspended batch. It's harder than usual. The look is a bit off putting, the scent is nice but there is a salty after scent in the end. The performance however is excellent, it's up there but I still prefer Reef Point. 

B&M 42 - Lemony and there is a fizzy, sort of soda-ish scent in the end. The performance is the same with other B&M which is very good.

B&M Roam - Smokey and grassy. The scent is really interesting. I cannot wear the aftershave but I can see why this has appeal to some guys. I like it too, but not my favorite.

Meißner Tremonia (Pot of milk soap) - Almost scentless, this is their for sensitive version if I am not mistaken. It's good. I would liken the performance to Haslinger Schafmilch which is simply excellent in my experience.

Holy Black gold rush - I smell peppermint, it's actually delicious, it reminds me of those Christmas candy cane's. I like it. I'm just not a fan of croaps too much. The container is nice, it reminds me of the one MWF uses. Not exactly that, perhaps their jar is just a tad bit thinner but it's very similar. And no I didn't get big the golden nugget price.. aww.. Sad

Those are what I remember from the top of my head right now

I still have quite a few to test here. B&M Baudelaire, Rhapsody, Catie's Parma etc.

I would really like to add Sapone di Paolo, Chiselled face and LASSCO to my collection. I must let the wallet breath a little.

11 1,170
 09-10-2016, 02:08 PM
User Info
(09-10-2016, 01:12 PM)evnpar Wrote:
(09-10-2016, 12:47 PM)Pfirnett Wrote: On the LPL tallow soap, totally agree with you comments on the performance. The scent, while I don't find it disagreeable, is not one of my favorites. I really like it he LE Havane that he did.

I forgot to report on my experience with Havane LE. I agree, a terrific soap and scent, only I wish it were available in 200g like the rest of his soaps.

YES!

2 336
 09-10-2016, 02:27 PM
User Info
I tried the Sapone Di Paolo Bosco (cedar, vetiver & sweetgrass) today, and both scent and performance are excellent.  I've also ordered the Terroso (amber, patchouli & oak) and look forward to trying that.

This week I also received Shannon's Soaps Valley Parkway (rosewood, lavender & vetiver), but have not tried it yet.

51 6,444
 09-11-2016, 07:11 AM
User Info
I don't think Jeeves of Hudson Street gets enough mention. Great tallow soap and super slick. Great post shave.

Lately, I Coloniali is a fave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 391
 09-11-2016, 07:15 AM
User Info
Beaver Woodright Thomas Tew - awesome performer, and great warm weather scent (if you like oranges this is a must try).  AS splash is second to none.

South Florida Wet Shavers Miami Nights (Made by K Shave Worx) - great performer, and honestly might be the best scent in my den.  Best cologne scented soap I have smelled to date.

Local Gent California Barber - great barbershop scent that replaces the powder dry down w/ citrus.  Love it.

13 524
 09-11-2016, 07:34 AM
User Info
Razorback - Dead Sea: Used it for the last week (6 shaves) and I'd say its much better than some of the other RR soaps.  For me I really need a slick soap with a lot of cushion.  This one works great, but I'd but I'd say it is a step behind the SMdF.  I think the lanolin in SMdF gives it the edge.  

There is something about the scent that seems familiar, but I just can't place it.  Maybe because the saffron reminds me of my wife's cooking Smile.

0 115
 09-11-2016, 07:37 AM
User Info
I had not given Cold River Soap Works much thought after my initial trial of V1, couldn't get it to work for me.. Tried V2 and fell in love!! I have 14 tubs now Aaaaa

20 1,375
 09-11-2016, 09:43 AM
User Info
I've been on a Barrister and Mann kick. I recently picked up Rosemary and Peppermint, Le Grand Chypre, Fougere Aromotique, and Roam. Love Roam! Such a great scent. I have to find a backup set at some point.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

2 342
 09-11-2016, 12:29 PM
User Info
L&L Grooming has been doing bison tallow soaps for a little while now, and I managed to grab a jar of their limited-run Champs de Lavande collab with Chatillon Lux. It's not often that a new soap maker comes along and immediately jumps into my top tier, but L&L has achieved just that. Very thirsty soap that responds very well to hydration, and creates really top top level lather. The scent from CL is excellent too, but I knew that having used it in toner form.

Looking forward to what he does next.

16 1,027
 09-12-2016, 06:54 PM
User Info
The last soap I tried was Dr. Jon's 1803.  It's a really interesting soap because it's so soft, yet still requires a lot of water to lather well.  The scent is a combination of tropical/fruity (pineapple, guava, peach, and green apple), but the undertone is cedarwood and sandalwood.  The first time I tried it I couldn't decide if I liked it or not, but after a few uses it's become intoxicating and one of my favorite scents.

0 30
 09-12-2016, 07:49 PM
User Info
I just tried Shannon's Soaps Valley Parkway, which is a blend of rosewood, lavender & vetiver.  The performance of the soap is excellent.  I've only used it once and I'm undecided about the scent.  Sometimes,  I can detect the vetiver, which is way I was looking for.  Other times, the lavender is quite dominant, which is not I was looking for.  I'll continue using it before forming a definite view of the scent.  However, based on the other qualities of the soap, I will be trying some of her other scents.

51 6,444
 09-13-2016, 03:42 AM
User Info
(09-11-2016, 09:43 AM)youngunn2008 Wrote: I've been on a Barrister and Mann kick. I recently picked up Rosemary and Peppermint, Le Grand Chypre, Fougere Aromotique, and Roam. Love Roam! Such a great scent. I have to find a backup set at some point.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Le Grand Chypre is an amazing scent, would love to have a back-up of this as well.  Need to convince Will to make another run of this!

54 1,214
 09-13-2016, 05:04 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
Nanny's  Silly Tallow soaps Neroli and Moroccan Sands. I only tried Sharon's original version once and was very impressed, but this new iteration is IMHO is so much better. It is on the soft side (especially neroli), but lathers supremely and provides great protection and glide. It smells divinely too.

113 1,547
 09-13-2016, 05:08 AM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
B&M Lavanille. It's a great shaver. Good cushion and slickness. The scent was a little overpowering when initially lathering, but calmed itself as I shaved. The only issue I am trying to get past is the light brown tint of the lather.

61 507
 09-13-2016, 07:08 AM
User Info
finally placed an order with Eufros/Jabonman for Easter Breeze and Borbon Rosa with matching balms.  I love these two big time.  Now move Manual to the top of my artisan list.  Still have room for love for my others though.

76 1,331