09-10-2016, 04:20 PM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
Given my post's title, I'm assuming that you are already or are on you way to being a shaving addict like myself. Having said that, I also love stories.

I would love to hear your stories about when and how you became hooked on shaving. I'd also love to get an idea as to where people live and the general age that members are. I can tell that we have a worldwide collection of members of a great variety of ages. But, I am finding that there seems to be two large groups: the veterans and the new converts. Given that, I am sure your stories will be as varied as your locations, age, and history with wet shaving.

I will start in a comment below.

61 507
 09-10-2016, 04:39 PM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
While I have been shaving for almost thirty-five years, I historically dreaded it. I learned using cheap cartridges and canned gel. It was a daily chore that I loathed. In fact, I would seize every chance I could to not shave. Unfortunately, my employer of twenty-six years, until recently, required men to be clean-shaven. The only reprieve from the butchering would be vacations or weekends. There was a time back in college when I spent a summer in West Africa where I didn't shave or cut my hair the entire time. Beyond that, I've never had a beard. 

A few years back, I decided to treat myself to an hour-long, spa-like shave at my barber. The experience was transforming. The hot towels, the scents, the feel of cold steel on my face, the serenity of the slow process had me hooked. 

Immediately, I began scouring the net, researching the art of shaving. Since then, I have gone from purchasing my first EJ DE razor, a set up with an Omega Proraso boar's hair brush and some Proraso green soap to spending more time and money on my morning ritual than I ever thought humanly possible. 

I now love shaving. I have tried more products, brushes, razors, blades, than I can even articulate. Finding this group was a major step in helping me overcome many mistakes I was making. It has also opened my mind, eyes, (and wallet) to the wonderful world of shaving. 

I can honestly say that the best and most peaceful time of my day is each morning when I slow down and am fully present as I shave. The irony is that this year our dress code changed at work and we can now have beards. While everyone else started spreading their hipster wings, I dove deeper into my shaving ritual. Humorously, many employees are now coming to me for shaving advice at work. They got their beards out of their system and now want to learn to shave with a DE, SE or straight. 

I hail from Franklin, TN in the US, a suburb of Nashville. As you can probably calculate, I will soon turn fifty this year. 

Thanks for letting me share. Let's hear your story.

61 507
 09-10-2016, 04:41 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
I started wet shaving after growing up watching my grandfather and father shave in the 50's. However, although I've been wet shaving for 54 years, I only discovered the forums four years ago. Since then, my wife has felt that I've gone nuts with all the shaving gear that's taken over our bathroom. I can't imagine what she'd think if she really knew how much other gear I have hidden away. Fortunately, it's about my only "vice."

38 5,026
 09-10-2016, 04:44 PM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
(09-10-2016, 04:41 PM)evnpar Wrote: I started wet shaving after growing up watching my grandfather and father shave in the 50's. However, although I've been wet shaving for 54 years, I only discovered the forums four years ago. Since then, my wife has felt that I've gone nuts with all the shaving gear that's taken over our bathroom. I can't imagine what she'd think if she really knew how much other gear I have hidden away. Fortunately, it's about my only "vice."
I love it. I, too, have found that it's easier to consolidate, and hide away, shaving gear and supplies than other things that I used to collect. I get it. My wife likes me shaving much more than other addictions.

61 507
 09-10-2016, 04:48 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Most of my friends give me a strange look when they see my collection of brushes and soaps. What can you do? Smile

46 18,065
 09-10-2016, 04:50 PM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
(09-10-2016, 04:48 PM)bullgoose Wrote: Most of my friends give me a strange look when they see my collection of brushes and soaps. What can you do? Smile

Hold on. You run a shaving store. You'd think they'd expect you to have a passion for it.

61 507
 09-10-2016, 05:07 PM
User Info
I'll play.

As a child my grandfather used to let me help him make lather and put it on his face. There was nothing cooler than sitting on the edge of the counter watching him shave. He is the man that first got me interested in shaving. He was the type of man that shaved everyday no matter what he was doing.

Although it didn't stick at first. I couldn't rationalize spending that much time and effort on something like shaving.

It wasn't until a few years ago that I actually decided to give it a serious go. Funny thing is I read how much money I could save over cartridges and thought why not!

We all know how well that goes....

I was terrible at shaving at first. I would shave in the evenings to let the bleeding stop overnight! I had no clue what no pressure meant.

Fast forward to when it clicks. There is nothing better.

It starts my day. It's part of my ritual and I don't know how I could stand cartridges before.

Lance

North Carolina

34 this month

82 2,178
 09-10-2016, 05:11 PM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
(09-10-2016, 05:07 PM)Skinny Rogers Wrote: I'll play.

As a child my grandfather used to let me help him make lather and put it on his face. There was nothing cooler than sitting on the edge of the counter watching him shave. He is the man that first got me interested in shaving. He was the type of man that shaved everyday no matter what he was doing.

Although it didn't stick at first. I couldn't rationalize spending that much time and effort on something like shaving.

It wasn't until a few years ago that I actually decided to give it a serious go. Funny thing is I read how much money I could save over cartridges and thought why not!

I was terrible at shaving at first. I would shave in the evenings to let the bleeding stop overnight!  I had no clue what no pressure meant.

It starts my day. It's part of my ritual and I don't know how I could stand cartridges before.

Lance
North Carolina

34 this month

Lance,

The irony is that I used to watch my dad shave with a Gillette TTO as a kid, just like you and your Grandfather. I am now getting my dad back into it. He transitioned to an electric razor and constantly walked around with stubble. He's feeling young again doing it.

61 507
 09-10-2016, 05:25 PM
User Info
(09-10-2016, 05:11 PM)gp569900 Wrote:
(09-10-2016, 05:07 PM)Skinny Rogers Wrote: I'll play.

I was terrible at shaving at first. I would shave in the evenings to let the bleeding stop overnight!  I had no clue what no pressure meant.

Lance
North Carolina

34 this month

Lance,

The irony is that I used to watch my dad shave with a Gillette TTO as a kid, just like you and your Grandfather. I am now getting my dad back into it. He transitioned to an electric razor and constantly walked around with stubble. He's feeling young again doing it.

Funny you mention your father is getting back.

My father stopped for many years.

Electric and carts.

Once I really got into it he became very interested again.

He is now once again a devout wetshaver and has no clue why he ever stopped.

82 2,178
 09-10-2016, 05:59 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(09-10-2016, 04:50 PM)gp569900 Wrote:
(09-10-2016, 04:48 PM)bullgoose Wrote: Most of my friends give me a strange look when they see my collection of brushes and soaps. What can you do? Smile

Hold on. You run a shaving store. You'd think they'd expect you to have a passion for it.

Trust me...98% of the population thinks we are nuts!

46 18,065
 09-10-2016, 06:01 PM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
(09-10-2016, 05:59 PM)bullgoose Wrote:
(09-10-2016, 04:50 PM)gp569900 Wrote:

Trust me...98% of the population thinks we are nuts!

Good point!

61 507
 09-10-2016, 06:29 PM
User Info
Typical beginning; got tired of the shaves with the electric razor and I didn't want to replace any more heads; looked into a few other options; came across DE razors and jumped, right in! That was five years ago and, of course, I haven't saved any money, but I surely have a wonderful collection of brushes and I have improved my photography skills. Biggrin

82 21,056
 09-10-2016, 07:17 PM
User Info
I had wanted a safety razor for a few years but never pulled the trigger. A gf gave me a muhle from aos for valentines day a year and a half ago. I feel  its one of the best presents I've ever received and have been hooked ever since

26 760
 09-10-2016, 07:32 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
After having my throat cut multiple times (by a surgeon) I decided there had to be a better way...

99 18,011
 09-10-2016, 08:11 PM
User Info
I started way back with a shick injector but moved to a Gillette trac 2 and actually got good shaves.  When everything went to a swivel head the wheels fell off my bus and shaving became a chore where every time I went to get carts my model was discontinued and the new models had more blades and useless features to warrant their higher price.  One day my son came home from college with a mason jar of Williams, a very crappy boar brush, and a Parker de and some Astra SPs.  One of the projects in his business school was to start a "business" with a set amount of seed money and see what they could do.  He jad bought this off a buddy and found he didn't have time and asked if I wanted it and a bunch of memories flooded back.  So I went back to old school shaving and was surprised how much better I liked it.  Obviously the Williams, crappy boar, and Parker took a hike but I still enjoy the Astras! Not saving any money but I sure enjoy my shaves! (And after I got back to shaving right I got my son doing it too)

2 132
 09-10-2016, 08:33 PM
User Info
My wife got me a beautiful set from AoS. Then I found forums and the communities are enough to get me into a deep dive.

6 676
 09-10-2016, 08:33 PM
User Info
Standard issue I started with canned goo and cartridges. I got irritation and ingrowns all the time, and thought I would give DE a try to help minimize said issues. It worked =)

7 304
 09-10-2016, 09:24 PM
User Info
I always did shave. 

Others shaved with a DE razor. 

I did poorly with a DE razor back in 1966, so I tried it again, and it gives me very good shave.

1 398
 09-11-2016, 01:15 AM
User Info
I started shaving with goop and Mach 3 carts. Always got ingrown hairs and irritation, and wouldn't shave for a week at a time because I hated it.

I finally got tired of it. I started researching cheaper carts, found the dollar shave club, but then saw a link for Safety Razors. I've never seen one before at this point so I start researching it. I ended up on a shave forum, asking questions, and put together my first shave kit. TOBS Sandalwood, Merkur 34C, AoS Pure Badger brush, PdP balm, and a blade sampler.

3 years later, I've turned into a collector, and have many vintage Gillette and Gem razors, and collect soaps and aftershaves.

I'm getting the best shaves of my life right now. And having fun doing it! Also spending way too much but you know. That's part of the fun.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

2 342
 09-11-2016, 03:23 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
I needed a new hone for hunting knives. Wet stone searches led me to SRD. At SRD I discovered straight razors were still being made and bought  a Dovo Best. A month later I got up the nerve and have been wet shaving ever since. 

I never gave much thought to shaving for 20 ish years, just something I had to do. I didn't shave on the weekends, didn't shave from September to January. Now I only skip shaves when hunting or camping. I look forward to the razor, strop, brush, hot towel, all of it. Everyday.

7 438