09-11-2016, 08:13 AM
User Info
Mornin guys,
As a brush collector one of my main worries is how to preserve these beauties. In Nevada it's a dry high altitude climate so one of my concerns is the hairs drying out over time and breaking off.

My routine for brush care is as follows, every time one gets used. I'm interested in hearing your routine.

After use I rinse the knot thoroughly. I follow this with a palm lather with Pureology moisturizing shampoo. I let the brush sit, knot down in a mug. After 5 minutes I rinse the shampo out. Next I add 4 drops of pure argan oil, a very light hydrating organic oil. That is mixed up in my scuttle with Pureology conditioner and warm water. After sitting for 5 minutes that gets rinses well and the brush hung knot down. The result is a clean well moisturized brush. I can tell you for fact that the conditioning does not take away any backbone, if any one wondered..

Let's hear your routine, from the mild to the wild.

17 1,297
 09-11-2016, 08:16 AM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
I'm horrible and do nothing. Soak and Use, rinse well and leave out to dry. I will be reading this thread for ideasSmile

59 4,389
 09-11-2016, 08:18 AM
User Info
Interesting, but that would be too much work for me. However, my climate isn't yours.
Thorough rinse; shake; few wipes on a dry towel; basta. Don't even bother to hang them anymore. Every six months, I give all of my brushes a vinegar bath (4:1 water/vinegar ratio) Clean water rinse and I am good for the next six months. 

39 3,880
 09-11-2016, 08:24 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
My routine is pretty similar to primotenore's. I certainly wouldn't say I do nothing, but that much work after every shave would likely encourage me to grow a beard.

22 824
 09-11-2016, 08:42 AM
User Info
Wow! That is an impressive treatment your brushes get! Smile 

With our high humidity, here in Vancouver, I just rinse thoroughly, towel dry and set it back onto the shelf. Nothing more as we have extremely soft water so there isn't much mineral build-up on things.

82 21,056
 09-11-2016, 08:45 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Rinse very well several times, shake, dry on a towel, set out on the counter to dry.

38 5,034
 09-11-2016, 08:51 AM
User Info
The humidity in Houston is high, so I don't have the same concerns as you do regarding the hairs drying out. 

For me I rinse the brush, a few painting strokes on a dry towel, and I set it on the dresser in my bedroom to dry. I don't store/dry my brushes in the restroom, they're stored in my air conditioned bedroom closet. Every few months I will use my Zartgetfuhl brush soap and lather each brush to recondition them.

80 947
 09-11-2016, 08:59 AM
User Info
I had always done the vinegar rinse thing until I saw a shaving video where the guy did exactly what you are doing, shampoo and conditioner (except he left the shampoo in for half a day).  It never occurred to me (duh) that hey, this is hair.  Been doing the shampoo thing ever since, seems like it gets it cleaner and the hair is softer.

Here's my question, how important do you guys think it is to hang your brushes upside down to at least dry?

13 467
 09-11-2016, 08:59 AM
User Info
I let mine sit under the faucet  and run warm water into it.   I then pick it up and continue running warm water all around the knot.  It actually troubles me that I waste so much water when cleaning my brushes.  I never use any other products to routinely clean my brushes.  However, if I see a buildup of soap residue on the hair at the top of the handle, I'll clean the brush with dishwashing liquid or shampoo, rinse it well, soak it in a solution of vinegar and water, then rinse it well again.

I live in humid Miami, so I don't have to deal with dry weather having a detrimental effect.

48 5,727
 09-11-2016, 09:04 AM
User Info
(09-11-2016, 08:59 AM)22bulldo Wrote: Here's my question, how important do you guys think it is to hang your brushes upside down to at least dry?

Not necessary at all.  Just gently shake out the excess water, wipe the brush across a soft towel a few times, then stand it up to dry in an open area.

48 5,727
 09-11-2016, 09:05 AM
User Info
The routine is to make sure I rinse it well after each use and final rinse in distilled water, which is what I use to soak my brush every shave. Every now and again (I don't have a schedule) when I feel there is some buildup, I wash it using Paul Mitchell Clarifying Shampoo. I then rinse well and soak in distilled water for a bit, shake off, towell blot, then set it out on its end like I do every other shave.

7 305
 09-11-2016, 09:14 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(09-11-2016, 08:59 AM)22bulldog Wrote: Here's my question, how important do you guys think it is to hang your brushes upside down to at least dry?

Same importance as my taking two Omega-3 capsules every day. Not sure if it helps, but I do it; my family doctor says he feels the same way, and takes Omega-3 himself.

0 1,052
 09-11-2016, 09:14 AM
User Info
(09-11-2016, 08:18 AM)primotenore Wrote: Every six months, I give all of my brushes a vinegar bath (4:1 water/vinegar ratio) Clean water rinse and I am good for the next six months. 

For those who use a vinegar rinse, what is your water/vinegar ratio?  The suggestions online are all over the place.

48 5,727
 09-11-2016, 09:18 AM
User Info
(09-11-2016, 08:59 AM)22bulldog Wrote: I had always done the vinegar rinse thing until I saw a shaving video where the guy did exactly what you are doing, shampoo and conditioner (except he left the shampoo in for half a day).  It never occurred to me (duh) that hey, this is hair.  Been doing the shampoo thing ever since, seems like it gets it cleaner and the hair is softer.

Here's my question, how important do you guys think it is to hang your brushes upside down to at least dry?

That's my thought... We use shampoo on our hair so to me it was reasonable to assume it'd be good for our badger buddies... I know epoxy is waterproof but to me, again common sense is I want the water flowing away and out from the knot.. Knot down for me.

17 1,297
 09-11-2016, 09:20 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(09-11-2016, 08:16 AM)eengler Wrote: I'm horrible and do nothing. Soak and Use, rinse well and leave out to dry. I will be reading this thread for ideasSmile

I very rarely do anything but rinse the brush as well. Occasionally, I will soak the bristles in a vinegar/water solution and then hand lather with dish washing liquid.

46 18,089
 09-11-2016, 09:21 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(09-11-2016, 09:14 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:
(09-11-2016, 08:18 AM)primotenore Wrote: Every six months, I give all of my brushes a vinegar bath (4:1 water/vinegar ratio) Clean water rinse and I am good for the next six months. 

For those who use a vinegar rinse, what is your water/vinegar ratio?  The suggestions online are all over the place.

I use 5 parts water to one part vinegar...give or take

46 18,089
 09-11-2016, 09:22 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(09-11-2016, 08:59 AM)22bulldog Wrote: I had always done the vinegar rinse thing until I saw a shaving video where the guy did exactly what you are doing, shampoo and conditioner (except he left the shampoo in for half a day).  It never occurred to me (duh) that hey, this is hair.  Been doing the shampoo thing ever since, seems like it gets it cleaner and the hair is softer.

I never hang my brushes upside down and have never had an issue. I rinse the brush, give it a shake or two and then stand it up on the butt of the handle.

46 18,089
 09-12-2016, 01:38 PM
User Info
After each use, I rinse the knot well, several shakes, and several strokes on a dry hand towel.  I don't hang them to dry.  Just set aside on their base.

After ten uses, I wash the knot using Dawn dishwashing soap (the blue variety).  I've also used Shampoo and tested a few with conditioner to see what results I would experience.  I pretty much stay on the Dawn course. 

So far, no catastrophic failures, none of the brushes have demanded I place them for adoption, and the Brush & Family Services folks haven't beat my front door down for brush abuse.   Biggrin

I think the most critical task or step is to let the knot completely dry between uses.

8 148
 09-12-2016, 01:48 PM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
Wow, your routine, while apparently effective, would take almost as long as my shave.  You did say that you were a brush collector. So, I assume that you have so many in your rotation that you do not use them at least once a month.  I am in a more humid area and am more worried about making sure they dry out adequately.  However, I am more in line with those that vigorously shake our any excess water, fan the hairs until no drops are left, the I sit it upright overnight to dry.  I have about thirty brushes in my current rotation and use them all.  So, mine get their monthly soak.

I will also clean and condition my brushes a couple of times a year with a specialized brush cleaner.

61 507
 09-12-2016, 02:03 PM
User Info
I rinse my brushes clean after each use, pretty much hold with bristles up and rinse under tempted water squeezing the knot tight once it wet (squeeze out the soap) I do this for 15-20 secs until the water is clear and soap free then squeeze out the excess water and give it a good shake and hang in a holder and have never had any issues, I do have quite the many brushes so I can go weeks with using the same brush.

6 1,262