09-11-2016, 05:04 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I've been fighting a fever and was unable to shave for 3 days. I tried shaving with my Mergress sans blade, realised something wasn't right. Fishing for my open Polsilver pack I came up with a APOLLO in brown with gold lettering. I imagine it was one of many blades gifted for my homeless vet project (thankyou all again). I figured the first pass wasn't going to be bread and roses and loaded it up along with Brutalt Norwegian Spruce. Three days of my beard will make any blade tug. I was suprised how well it performed, a little drag but very sharp and finished a delightfull four pass shave.
The packaging had utterly no provenance on blade or box, not even beeswax spots. A quick look on EBAY found 10 packs in Hungary listed as vintage for a rediculous price. There was a WW2 issue pack with more elaborate lithography. A websearch found mention of a blued #10 and finally a brief notation from 2010 stating my SS were Solingen German made. I found a  company named APOLLO who make all manner of industrial and medical blades; but no razorblades. Apparently, there is/was an Apollo razor with a acid etched head logo. i wouldn't mind finding a stash, but if not this opened another blank page with a few sparse notes. can anyone add about blade or razor?

2 3,171
 09-11-2016, 06:58 PM
User Info
Dear Kav,
http://www.apollo-herkenrath.de/produkte...erklinge_1 - use this link. von Apollo-Herkenrath, Eifelstraße 34, 42699 Solingen, Deutschland. All the best. Alex.

29 275
 09-11-2016, 07:02 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Thankyou! I had found an older version of their website with no link to razorblades.  The razors seem a seperate entity; very inexpensive on EBAY; claim SS handles.

2 3,171
 09-11-2016, 08:51 PM
User Info
Dear Christopher, if you are interested in these blades - http://www.ebay.com/itm/APOLLO-Solingen-...Swv-NWXbla, right now at the Ebay-Germany. Alex.

29 275
 09-13-2016, 02:04 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
I emailed the company. They dropped razorblades from their line and sold everything to a german vendor. I contacted him and he's sold out.
It's all for the good. I started a second shave duplicating everything and halfway into the first pass it felt like a Merkur all over again.

2 3,171
 09-17-2016, 06:42 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(09-13-2016, 02:04 PM)kav Wrote: halfway into the first pass it felt like a Merkur all over again.

Sad, very sad. And undamncomfortable, too!

7 2,357