09-11-2016, 05:15 PM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
Over the past month or so, I have acquired quite a few vintage Gillettes. My next iteration of learning is to venture into vintage blades.

My first first is a score of Wilkinson Light Brigades. I'm trying to get my hands on a few Personna 74's. I know, I'm starting with the holy grails. Oh, I did get a large quantity of NOS Poland made Wizamet Polsilvers. So far, that is it.

What do you guys recommend. I stumbled across these and might give them a try. I need your experience to guide me. Are these worthwhile?  Also, what do you recommend?  Where do you get them? What is a reasonable price?

Let's hear it.

[Image: 1SpxDzM.jpg]
[Image: KWW1v7l.jpg]

61 507
 09-11-2016, 06:09 PM
User Info
I have and like;
Gillette Super Stainless (which were later called)
Gillette Spoilers 
Gillette Platinum 
Schick Krona Chrome 
Schick Plus Platinum 
Personna '74
Personna Stainless steel in a variety of iterations 
Sears stainless steel (probably US Personnas)
EverSharp Stainless steel DE
Wilkinson Sword (multiple variations)

Pretty much any stainless steel and coated DE blade brand from the 60's through the early 90's are very good as long as they have been stored safely. Away from moisture and temperature extremes. 

The ones I think are the best are from the late 60's to mid 70's before cartridges became mainstream. DE blades from that era were at the top of their game because they had to be. The race was on to be the best, smoothest, longest lasting brand. There was no other way to differentiate brands any other way than to be top tier and do something innovative. Platinum, chrome, Teflon, Tungsten, and any other thing to get a keener, longer lasting edge.

Gillette Spoilers in the metal dispensers are my favorite.

My limit on pricing for vintage blades is $0.50 per blade all in delivered.

About the only places to get them are flea markets, estate sales, eBay, or another wet shaver.

The blades in your pictures look to have been opened for a while. A little dirty. The white packs look Canadian or European to me. The dark blue ones I think are American from the later end of the DE heyday. If I were you I'd discard the first blade from those dispensers. All of them. Then I would try the second blade in the pack. If it looked very good. They may be stuck. If so, just warm up the whole dispenser on a towel by blowing a hair dryer at it on high heat. There's oil between the blades and it can get gummy with age. Nothing to worry about. Anything grimy or rusty for me would be a no go and I would bin the whole package if either were the case.

9 1,409
 09-11-2016, 06:13 PM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
(09-11-2016, 06:09 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: I have and like;
Gillette Stainless (which were later called)
Gillette Spoilers 
Gillette Platinum 
Schick Krona Chrome 
Schick Platinum 
Personna '74
Personna Stainless steel in a variety of iterations 
Sears stainless steel (probably US Personnas)
EverSharp Stainless steel DE
Wilkinson Sword (multiple variations)

Pretty much any stainless steel and coated DE blade brand from the 60's through the early 90's are very good as long as they have been stored in safely. Away from moisture and temperature extremes. 

The ones I think are the best are from the late 60's to mid 70's before cartridges became mainstream. DE blades from that era were at the top of their game because they had to be. The race was on to be the best, smoothest, longest lasting brand. There was no other way to differentiate brands any other way than to be top tier and do something innovative. Platinum, chrome, Teflon, Tungsten, and any other thing to get a keener, longer lasting edge.

Gillette Spoilers in the metal dispensers are my favorite.

My limit on pricing for vintage blades is $0.50 per blade all in delivered.

About the only places to get them are flea markets, estate sales, eBay, or another wet shaver.

The blades in your pictures look to have been opened for a while. A little dirty. The white packs look Canadian or European to me. The dark blue ones I think are American from the later end of the DE heyday. If I were you I'd discard the first blade from those dispensers. All of them. Then I would try the second blade in the pack. If it looked very good. They may be stuck. If so, just warm up the whole dispenser on a towel by blowing a hair dryer at it on high heat. There's oil between the blades and it can get gummy with age. Nothing to worry about. Anything grimy or rusty for me would be a no go and I would bin the whole package if either were the case.
Wow!  Great information. Thank you. I did stumble upon the info about the razors sticking together and having to heat them to separate them. I haven't run across that yet. 

Thank you again

61 507
 09-11-2016, 06:19 PM
User Info
You're welcome.

Have fun hunting for blades!

9 1,409
 09-11-2016, 07:17 PM
User Info
Hey Michael, the Gillette Platinum Plus blades in the white dispensers are made in France and shave very much like the latest generation of Gillette 'Swedes' that everyone raves about, in case you've ever tried those. The markings on the blades should be identical to those.

The Gillette Platinum (minus the 'Plus') in the dark dispensers were almost certainly sold in either the UK or Australia (I've seen them from both places), but were almost certainly made in the UK. These are very very similar to the French made blades, IMO.

[Image: s-l1600.jpg]

If you like the two varieties that you found, then there's another French version of the Platinum Plus that has similar white dispensers and 10-pks to the ones you've already found, and there's also made-in-USA Platinum Plus that came in silver metal dispensers. Personally, if you like and have access to these, it's really not worth the extra effort to track down Personna 74's or Wilkinson Light Brigades. But that's just my opinion. Best of luck!

[Image: s-l1600.jpg]

5 90
 09-11-2016, 07:21 PM
User Info
Oh, I like the vintage Gillettes much better than the Wizamets, due to having no glue, and lasting significantly longer. You will probably find they're more expensive though.

5 90
 09-11-2016, 07:38 PM
User Info
Yomuppet and Bakerbarber, excellent and informative posts! I have a few vintage blades and although I haven't tried them too much, I definitely like reading about them, especially posts where people that love them share their experiences with them. Thanks for your posts  Smile

79 1,338
 09-11-2016, 08:08 PM
User Info
http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierklingen/Rasierklingen.htm

Mr. Razor has a lot of pictures of Gillette items.

9 1,409