08-03-2012, 08:09 PM
User Info
I have a $75.00 gift card for Amazon.com. I was looking to buy a Weber DLC, but apparently even though their store is hosted by Amazon.com, I can't actually use an Amazon.com gift card towards it. I really wanted to use it towards a new double edged razor (I'm shaving with a Gem Micromatic right now). So my question is this: What's the best razor I could get off of Amazon.com with that gift card? I'm still fairly new at wet shaving, so I'd like one that's a little bit forgiving, but I would still like a fairly aggressive one. Any suggestions in from this fine community would be much obliged.

0 32
 08-03-2012, 08:15 PM
User Info
You're already shaving with one of the best razors ever made; especially if it's the OCMM. Winky

I'm sure someone else will be along to better answer your questions. I shave primarily with SEs like the Open Comb MicroMatic (OCMM). DEs don't work for me so I won't have much advice for you especially since I don't buy off amazon much at all. Godspeed on your journey.

31 7,914
 08-03-2012, 08:22 PM
User Info
Satin Futur

1 63
 08-03-2012, 08:30 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
A Merkur HD (34C) would be a good start and you could use the extra money on some other gear.

45 3,955
 08-03-2012, 08:43 PM
User Info
(08-03-2012, 08:22 PM)mhdena Wrote: Satin Futur

+1 A good razor to experiment with as it is an adjustable and you can vary the blade exposure to accommodate your tastes. Good luck.

75 20,883
 08-03-2012, 09:55 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Get an Edwin Jagger DE89L and spend the rest on soaps and creams.Biggrin

86 7,123
 08-03-2012, 09:56 PM
User Info
Amazon has so much other good stuff you can buy, why limit it to a DE razor? I'm fairly certain the best specialty razors are not available on amazon. I know a good many brushes aren't.

9 2,988
 08-04-2012, 01:06 AM
User Info
Were you told why you could not use the Amazon gift card to buy the Weber DLC?

The Edwin Jagger razors are very good. And Lee is right, Amazon has plenty of good wetshaving gear. Amazon and eBay are where the action is nowadays. It sometimes seems like they are taking over the online commerce world.

0 303
 08-04-2012, 04:20 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I am not understanding why Amazon won't let you pay for a DLC with a gift card. But there are a number of EJs that should work for you.

100 12,444
 08-07-2012, 06:43 AM
User Info
Sorry for the entirely too delayed reply. I'm moving to another city a couple hundred miles away, so between that and my work schedule it's been a busy week or two.

I actually use the Clog Pruf Micromatic. It was cheap and it was there, so I snapped it up off eBay. I don't regret that decision for a second. I just want to experiment with some other things for a bit after talking to a friend at work who's very much into the safety razor scene.

I'm leaning pretty heavily towards an Edwin Jagger. My friend tells me that he thinks Edwin Jagger has a bit better build quality than Merkur after trying both. I used to have a Parker Double Edge, but trashed it after I realized it had some pretty large flaws in build quality, so now I'm nervous anytime I see any issues with build quality mentioned.

As for why I'm using the gift card for a double edge razor, it's because I specifically saved the money to buy a double edge razor, and I wanted to use a gift card that I purchased with cash so that my wife wouldn't see a mysterious $75 dollar payment disappear out of the bank account when I was set on getting the Weber DLC. Yeah, I'm purposely avoiding a paper trail for my razor (does that make me a bad person? Tongue)

Anyhow, I still haven't figured out why I can't use my Amazon.com gift card even after they told me I could before I even got the gift card (not like it matters now, the DLCs are already sold out), so I'm stuck with $75 dollars to spend on Amazon. I'm leaning towards an Edwin Jagger and using the rest to try out a new soap or cream, and maybe a blade sample pack.

I appreciate the replies, gentlemen. Any further guidance would be much obliged!

0 32
 08-07-2012, 07:05 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
My vote is for this
http://www.amazon.com/Edwin-Jagger-De86b...ger+barley

or this
http://www.amazon.com/Edwin-Jagger-De87b...ger+barley

The reason I'd choose the 86 or 87 over the 89 is because the handle is easier to hold on to. If you're dead set on the 89, PM me after you get it and I've got a spare DE86 handle you can have for free (along with a few blades to try). It doesn't look like much, but it doesn't get much use here.

116 3,804
 08-07-2012, 09:23 AM
User Info
Go to a store, buy a prepaid Visa card with cash, buy Weber without a paper trail!

Unless your wife is that good at tracking you down.... In which case.... Good luck!

Honestly, it really sounds like you want a Weber, and you should just buy the Weber. It's not $200 or anything right?

9 2,988
 08-07-2012, 04:05 PM
User Info
(08-07-2012, 09:23 AM)asharperrazor Wrote: Go to a store, buy a prepaid Visa card with cash, buy Weber without a paper trail!

Unless your wife is that good at tracking you down.... In which case.... Good luck!

Honestly, it really sounds like you want a Weber, and you should just buy the Weber. It's not $200 or anything right?

I would have bought a prepaid visa in the first place, but I actually contacted Amazon to find out if a gift card would work in that store, and they told me yes, so I thought I'd save on the $4.95 activation fee. Turns out they just sucked at answering the question and still can't explain to me why it's like that, so low and behold, stuck with a $75 dollar Amazon card with no Weber to buy. It was really strange to me because I can buy the handles with the gift card, just not the DLC head with a handle.

0 32
 08-28-2012, 06:44 AM
User Info
Just as an update, I ended up getting an Edwin Jagger DE86bl. I'm still not positive that I'm in love with it yet. The fit and finish is top notch, I'm just not getting the shave I want out of it. My form is probably off from using a Gem Micromatic, but I've been trying a blade sampler pack and I haven't been overly impressed so far. I'm also going to try some new soaps (so far I've only used Van Der Hagen and Proraso Cream), but my lathering technique is coming along swimmingly. I'm going to invest in a different brush, as well. I've got my eye on a Whipped Dog silvertip.

0 32