09-13-2016, 07:38 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
The Plisson thread has been so successfull, I am starting another for this highly regarded, and somewhat enigmatic brush. What grades are made and available?

2 3,171
 09-14-2016, 04:06 AM
User Info
At the moment I see only "super" available for purchase. I was wondering if anyone knows who currently oversees production? If it were worth emailing this person to question whether a two band knot could be obtainable again in the future.

63 1,596
 09-14-2016, 04:21 AM
User Info
(09-14-2016, 04:06 AM)ultra~nova Wrote: At the moment I see only "super" available for purchase. I was wondering if anyone knows who currently oversees production? If it were worth emailing this person to question whether a two band knot could be obtainable again in the future.

In the past I was able to get my questions answered by contacting Jim at Vintage Blades or Classic Shaving. Unfortunately Jim is no longer in the business, and CS hasn't had a new batch in a very long time (years). Perhaps you can try asking one of the vendors carrying the current 3-band super brushes. But most likely, they will be working with a distributor and not the actual owner so would have limited intel.

40 1,195
 09-14-2016, 04:36 AM
User Info
Ill send a few emails when I return home from work tonight and see where we end up.

63 1,596
 09-14-2016, 08:07 AM
User Info
Ah, my favorite brush manufacturer.  The only disappointing thing about Rooney brushes in my estimation is that they are no longer readily available! I know there are some vendors carrying 3 band Heritage brushes, I own a few of them, I just don't like them as much as others in the collection.
I have owned all of the hair types and found great satisfaction in everyone.  The handles are excellent aesthetically and functionally.
Here are some favorites from my collection and some eye candy for you guys showing the greatness of Rooney.  

Heritage gel-tip XL3, XL2, XL1
[Image: tgdWWzc.jpg]

[Image: TxPB9bd.jpg]

Heritage XL2 in Tortoise
[Image: kY9drMg.jpg]

Finest 1/1, 1/2, 3/1
[Image: g0glVHr.jpg]

Style 1 Size 2 Faux Horn Finest
[Image: NESFBvb.jpg]

Stubby/Chubby size small in Finest
[Image: Vt0Y9lj.jpg]

I love Finest hair!
[Image: s8ClSMj.jpg]

A few three-band Super Badgers
Stubby/Chubby Medium, Stubby 3, and Stubby 2
[Image: lgRcfyU.jpg][Image: msQUpkh.jpg][Image: bc2Jnyf.jpg]

A few non-Rooney labeled brushes with Rooney knots

Olde Apothecary Shop Stubby Medium in Finest
[Image: BRyY7Hm.jpg]

Morris & Forndran Labeled Blonde Badger with Rooney Finest knots
[Image: SZKo1B9.jpg]

75 2,316
 09-14-2016, 10:05 AM
User Info
Thats a fine collection Nathan.

63 1,596
 09-14-2016, 10:20 AM
User Info
Great collection indeed. Much drools has been dripped from my mouth.

31 739
 09-14-2016, 10:22 AM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
Beautiful collection. I would love to see more of these back in production. Please find out who owns them and let's reach out to them.

61 507
 09-14-2016, 10:26 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
(09-14-2016, 10:05 AM)ultra~nova Wrote: Thats a fine collection Nathan.

Indeed. Thanks for sharing Nathan. 

I hope we hear from Churchilllafemme. Biggrin

169 1,424
 09-14-2016, 12:08 PM
User Info
Thanks everyone.  As I mentioned above, they've each been a real pleasure to own and use!
+1 to the hope that we hear from John.  His collection of Finests is unparalleled!

75 2,316
 09-14-2016, 01:50 PM
User Info
The Rooney company was said to have been started sometime around 1700 in Galway, Ireland.  In 1796 the administrating Rooney family member of that time (the great grandfather of today's principal) opened a branch in London at 27-28 Bishopsgate.  This branch eventually was extended and became the main factory and head office.  In 1886 there was a disastrous fire at the Bishopsgate premises, and most of their really old records were destroyed, so the exact date of the formation of the Company cannot be positively established.  The Company's trade mark is the Coat Of Arms of the City of London, and it has been closely associated with the City of London Brushworks Company.  The freehold premises in Bishopsgate were sold in 1927, and all manufacturing was transferred to Walthamstow, where the Company continues today.

The Company's trade mark is the Coat Of Arms of the City of London, and it has been closely associated with the City of London Brushworks Company.

It is my understand that Rooney has produced brushes in Pure Badger, Best Badger, Silvertip, Super Badger, and Finest Badger.  Their earliest brushes were said to have been much like the eventual Finest grade.  Here are some quick images of my Rooneys, all Finests.  For me they have been the best of the best.

The whole group
[Image: 26Uy6ZE.jpg]

The Size 1s
[Image: mX3AwrI.jpg]

The Size 2s
[Image: JdSf9Gl.jpg]

And the Size 3s and Polo (Urn)
[Image: a7j42hn.jpg]

207 12,350
 09-14-2016, 02:27 PM
User Info
Thank you for the history John! Amazing brushes as always!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

75 2,316
 09-14-2016, 02:29 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
I have only come across a few super badger on EBAY NIB at attractive prices. Without getting into metaphysical brush talk; will people  be happy shavers with one? I have a scuttle list of a few names. I am not buying a 'name' like people buy wine they can't distinquish from ripple or a 4 wheel testostorone booster. Rooney and Plisson have literally been here so long I imagine one of each next to a Paladin, Sears, my present Vie-Long and VP.

2 3,171
 09-14-2016, 02:46 PM
User Info
(09-14-2016, 02:29 PM)kav Wrote: I have only come across a few super badger on EBAY NIB at attractive prices. Without getting into metaphysical brush talk; will people  be happy shavers with one? I have a scuttle list of a few names. I am not buying a 'name' like people buy wine they can't distinquish from ripple or a 4 wheel testostorone booster. Rooney and Plisson have literally been here so long I imagine one of each next to a Paladin, Sears, my present Vie-Long and VP.

Sounds like a very nice collection to aspire to in my opinion Kav. Rooney Super Badger brushes are very nice and can hold there own against any brand out there. As we speak there are a few older Rooney Super Badgers on the Classic Shaving website for quite reasonable prices given their vintage.

75 2,316
 09-14-2016, 03:24 PM
User Info
This is an awesome thread. Thanks for the knowledge and the incredible brush pictures gentlemen.

1 468
 09-14-2016, 04:10 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
No secret handshake required

2 3,171
 09-14-2016, 07:00 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
 09-14-2016, 07:17 PM
User Info
Some stunning pictures.

0 68
 09-15-2016, 06:25 AM
User Info
Ben that is an outstanding collection with nice variety.

63 1,596
 09-15-2016, 06:30 AM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
(09-14-2016, 01:50 PM)churchilllafemme Wrote: The Rooney company was said to have been started sometime around 1700 in Galway, Ireland.  In 1796 the administrating Rooney family member of that time (the great grandfather of today's principal) opened a branch in London at 27-28 Bishopsgate.  This branch eventually was extended and became the main factory and head office.  In 1886 there was a disastrous fire at the Bishopsgate premises, and most of their really old records were destroyed, so the exact date of the formation of the Company cannot be positively established.  The Company's trade mark is the Coat Of Arms of the City of London, and it has been closely associated with the City of London Brushworks Company.  The freehold premises in Bishopsgate were sold in 1927, and all manufacturing was transferred to Walthamstow, where the Company continues today.

The Company's trade mark is the Coat Of Arms of the City of London, and it has been closely associated with the City of London Brushworks Company.

It is my understand that Rooney has produced brushes in Pure Badger, Best Badger, Silvertip, Super Badger, and Finest Badger.  Their earliest brushes were said to have been much like the eventual Finest grade.  Here are some quick images of my Rooneys, all Finests.  For me they have been the best of the best.

The whole group
[Image: 26Uy6ZE.jpg]

The Size 1s
[Image: mX3AwrI.jpg]

The Size 2s
[Image: JdSf9Gl.jpg]

And the Size 3s and Polo (Urn)
[Image: a7j42hn.jpg]

Whoa!  Unbelievable.

61 507