09-15-2016, 03:05 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
I have been very impressed with the number of designer razors  (usually stainless steel, sometimes a heavy aluminum) that are not mass produced as the more common razors that have been around for a long time.  It has also been impressive how many shavers have more than one of these new type of razors.  For those of you with more than one, which brand/artisan do you most prefer, and the one you least prefer.  For me, 

The most- Rockwell 6s
The least - Ikon

For some reason, the Ikons, especially the open combs, will give me a weeper or two whereas other razors do so very infrequently.  I have noticed this almost from the start of my using these razors.  I admit that it may be my Ikon-specific technique.  Nevertheless, that is what I experience.  Above The Tie gets a close second place-very nice.

What say you?

1 795
 09-15-2016, 08:33 AM
User Info
I'm a vintage guy, if it's not older than I am it's just not interesting. Razors should be made of brass.

0 263
 09-15-2016, 08:37 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
No sane person needs more than one razor, right?  ¬_¬  Doubt

22 823
 09-15-2016, 08:47 AM
  • chamm
  • Expert on nothing
  • Central Ohio
User Info
I have many, many (many) other razors. Among my favorite DE razors, in no specific order:
  • RazoRock Black Mamba
  • Los Angeles Shaving Company BBS-1
  • Wolfman Razors WR1-SB
  • ClassicShaving King Cobra
  • Blackland Razors Blackbird
In particular, I find myself reaching for the Blackbird most often these days. It is a phenomenal razor, and more far obtainable than the others on my list.

22 823
 09-15-2016, 09:25 AM
User Info
I used to own a ridiculous number of razors. I have trimmed it down to only a few brands plus a couple of vintage razors. I'd still like to try a Blackbird some day.
-Weber (Polished, ARC, DLC)  the ARC is my favorite
-Merkur 38C and 39C
-ATT M1 Open Comb
Gillette New Long Comb
Gillette Aristocrat 16
Even with this somewhat pared down selection I'd say I use the Weber ARC 9.9/10 shaves

73 2,196
 09-15-2016, 09:35 AM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
I too have more than one razor.  I have multiple "Designer Razors" and as many or more vintage Gillettes.

Modern (Designer)

-Timeless Scalloped Head .95mm blade gap (Favorite)
-Timeless OC .95mm
-ATT (M1,M2,S1,R1, R2, SE1) with all four handles and multiple top caps- I had the H plates but they were too aggressive for me
-Polished Stainless Mongoose V2 (Least Favorite)
-King Cobra
-Blackbird
-OneBlade (Favorite for days I need a quick shave)

61 507
 09-15-2016, 02:17 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • NYC
User Info
(09-15-2016, 08:47 AM)chamm Wrote: I have many, many (many) other razors. Among my favorite DE razors, in no specific order:

• RazoRock Black Mamba
  • Los Angeles Shaving Company BBS-1
  • Wolfman Razors WR1-SB
  • ClassicShaving King Cobra
  • Blackland Razors Blackbird
In particular, I find myself reaching for the Blackbird most often these days. It is a phenomenal razor, and more far obtainable than the others on my list.

Good info.  Thanks.

1 795
 09-15-2016, 02:18 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • NYC
User Info
(09-15-2016, 09:25 AM)merkur man Wrote: I used to own a ridiculous number of razors. I have trimmed it down to only a few brands plus a couple of vintage razors. I'd still like to try a Blackbird some day.
-Weber (Polished, ARC, DLC)  the ARC is my favorite
-Merkur 38C and 39C
-ATT M1 Open Comb
Gillette New Long Comb
Gillette Aristocrat 16
Even with this somewhat pared down selection I'd say I use the Weber ARC 9.9/10 shaves

Weber is awesome.  I'm so glad I grabbed one when they were making them.

1 795
 09-15-2016, 04:23 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
To what end do these endless ratings serve? Are we building a consensus of more 'High End' -'best of the best of the best' 'If you want to bark with the big dogs own a ACME MKII* 3 ? This is becoming more onerous than taking a leak in a men's room and some chickenhawk glances over to check one out.

2 3,171
 09-15-2016, 11:51 PM
User Info
I love the Rockwell 6s. I have others too but the 6s is still my favorite.

My second favorite would be the Stealth Slant stainless DLC. It's just different from my aluminums, the shave is simply superb.

10 1,128
 09-16-2016, 01:01 AM
  • Tokyospike
  • Artist's Club Recruiter
  • New York City
User Info
Me again. Same old story. One safety razor. Mongoose B3.

----------
Spike

0 107
 09-16-2016, 03:08 AM
User Info
I have stored my vintage DE, mass produced DE, and modern SE razors since I've become reacquainted with "designer" DE razors.  I am getting the best shaves of my life with the following:

ATT R1 Bronze
Wolfman WR 1 SB
Blackbird
Timeless SB
Feather AS-D2
ATT S1

The top 4 are all within a "hair" of one another, while the bottom two are damn close.

6 181
 09-16-2016, 04:13 AM
User Info
(09-15-2016, 08:33 AM)TobyC Wrote: I'm a vintage guy, if it's not older than I am it's just not interesting. Razors should be made of brass.

I like my modern stainless razors, but many days I use one of my 40's style Super Speeds.

48 5,715
 09-16-2016, 06:14 AM
  • ARGH
  • Boston, MA
User Info
my preferences are (base on the quality of the shave and the quality of the gear):

1. BlackBird First Generation (any finish)
2. Timeless 0.95mm Smooth SB
3. Wolfman SB 0.74
4. Mongoose B3 Polished

A friend of mine is generously letting me try his Weber Polished, so in a few days I could see how it fits into my top safety razors list.

111 1,400
 09-16-2016, 07:00 AM
  • beamon
  • Greenville, SC USA
User Info
(09-15-2016, 04:23 PM)kav Wrote: To what end do these endless ratings serve? Are we building a consensus of more 'High End' -'best of the best of the best' 'If you want to bark with the big dogs own a ACME MKII* 3 ? This is becoming more onerous than taking a leak in a men's room and some chickenhawk glances over to check one out.
To what end? This is designer razor time, what with pot metal heads apparently reaching an end point. CNC machines are more affordable and qualified machinists have time from other work to build for the entrepreneurs of wet shaving. Regardless of your financial status, no one wants to needlessly throw funds at every designer razor that comes along. Perhaps you're the exception, though I doubt it, most like to integrate others' ratings to shorten the list of what they wish to try. Even with the knowledge that YMMV, we like to know what others think!

If it's as onerous as you say, skip the thread! If the ratings, comparisons and reviews were to stop, I daresay the traffic on TSN would drop to something less than half of what it is today. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the Blade Forum to post MY ratings of AC blades for my ATT SE1. TTFN.

0 363
 09-16-2016, 07:20 AM
User Info
I tend to prefer vintage razors but there are many interesting new propositions. Good times.

8 1,060
 09-16-2016, 07:24 AM
User Info
Not saying any of the designer razors are not capable of excellent shaves. I am a man that has just until recently, hasn't looked in to higher end razors. I'm looking at an Ikon slant for my first designer razor; an X2 or X3 possibly. That's only due to their price is a bit more reasonable. Still fight the thought of one face one razor. Yes I know, crazy.

0 596
 09-16-2016, 07:52 AM
User Info
(09-16-2016, 04:13 AM)TheLegalRazor Wrote:
(09-15-2016, 08:33 AM)TobyC Wrote: I'm a vintage guy, if it's not older than I am it's just not interesting. Razors should be made of brass.

I like my modern stainless razors, but many days I use one of my 40's style Super Speeds.

As far as new stuff goes, you don't have to spend a lot to get a lot, The Fatip Piccolo and the Pearl can be had for about twenty bucks, and they're fantastic shavers!

0 263
 09-16-2016, 10:09 AM
User Info
I've tried a lot of razors.

Technique trumps tool is the conclusion from me. Period. 

That being said I would likely have a terminal case of faecal encephalitis to try and say that an assembly line mass produced implement was superior to any of the semi-custom made and small batch options.

Cost becomes the issue.

Glaringly obvious to me as well that the most expensive is not the most functional or the most visually appealing in most cases.

The Rockwell 6s is a good example of a razor I find exceptionally good as a functional tool. I think it's a baby who's looks only a mother could love. I feel like it absolutely shaves better than a much lower cost razor like the Edwin Jagger which happens to be loads better looking and visually appealing.

The cost issue is reoccurring in that along with time itself, which is finite in this context, I can't afford to try everything. A fitting reason why I also like these type of discussions. The other reoccurring issue as I see it is our own individuality. YMMV. Nonetheless these discussions with each other lead to more than simply highlighting our different preferences. They help us find our similarities.

Since cost is a limitation and my preferences being what they are, most of my experience with boutique razors is with solid bar and generally mild shavers. 

I have more than I need but less than I would like to try.

I am not trying to grow a collection consciously though my pace of acquiring things is greater than my current ability to commence with divesting myself of the ones that I don't have an amorous affair with.

To date my favorite functional designer razor is the Barbaros. If I had to pick only one that would be it.

My least favorite, or the one that failed to impress me or function at the level of hype that lead me to acquire it, would be the Ikon standard bar. Looks nice but far too aggressive for me.

In between these are razors that I would like to keep and also razors that fail to hold my interest. Some that are functional works of art and design. Some that are simply novelties to me due to rarity or the excitement of their uniqueness in design or materials. 

Some keepers. Based on the frequency that I actually use them because I enjoy the shave and in absolutely no particular order;

- Feather AS-D2
- Wolfman reduced gap
- Tradere SB
- Barbaros TR1
- Cobra King
- ATT SE1
- Rockwell 6s
- Cobra Classic
- Pils

They are all different I think. I don't have multiples of any of them, like some vintage stuff, and I enjoy the variety of switching between them.

I have had and found better homes for others I didn't enjoy. Like a Mongoose, a Wolfman standard gap, the Tradere OC, and a few versions of the Weber. Not that I would try to influence anyone else to disregard them as options. I just didn't get along with them. YMMV and all.

Wink

7 1,313
 09-19-2016, 10:37 AM
User Info
(09-15-2016, 08:33 AM)TobyC Wrote: ... if it's not older than I am it's just not interesting.

Wow. You must have to use a Gillette Double Ring then, right TobyC?  Biggrin

0 3