09-15-2016, 06:44 AM
User Info
G'day Winky 

Has anybody experience the Provence Sante Shaving Soap is made in France is known for its skin conditioning properties and the slickness/glide of its lather. Now available with a lighter and moisturizing with a rich lather and a very refreshing green tea scent. Glycerin, shea butter, and luzenac talcum (to fight razor irritation) are blended in a smooth vegetable base is about 100g.

Cheers [Image: winking0071.gif]

[Image: 31MzXk1SAQL._SY355_.jpg]

0 231
 09-15-2016, 07:03 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
It gets a lot of love but I find the scent grossly synthetic.
One of those scents that you've smelled a million times somewhere else (though probably not what you had in mind for green tea).

62 3,008
 09-15-2016, 07:12 AM
User Info
(09-15-2016, 07:03 AM)Nero Wrote: It gets a lot of love but I find the scent grossly synthetic.
One of those scents that you've smelled a million times somewhere else (though probably not what you had in mind for green tea).

You mean like what Lipton Brisk is to actual black tea?

=P

7 330
 09-15-2016, 07:13 AM
User Info
(09-15-2016, 06:44 AM)SpeedyPC Wrote: G'day Winky 

Has anybody experience the Provence Sante Shaving Soap is made in France is known for its skin conditioning properties and the slickness/glide of its lather. Now available with a lighter and moisturizing with a rich lather and a very refreshing green tea scent. Glycerin, shea butter, and luzenac talcum (to fight razor irritation) are blended in a smooth vegetable base is about 100g.

I just learned about this brand within the last few days, I'm interested to try it =)

7 330
 09-15-2016, 07:20 AM
User Info
I'm told the Provence Sante Verlaine Shaving Soap has been discontinued, and the one I post above is the only shaving on the market.

0 231
 09-15-2016, 07:52 AM
User Info
It is a fine soap, but I didn't really enjoy the scent as it was quite strong and synthetic, to me, and I much prefer other soaps.

83 21,111
 09-15-2016, 08:00 AM
  • Nero
  • ACV is my new BFF
  • le montagne
User Info
(09-15-2016, 07:12 AM)vigilantesd Wrote:
(09-15-2016, 07:03 AM)Nero Wrote: It gets a lot of love but I find the scent grossly synthetic.

You mean like what Lipton Brisk is to actual black tea?

=P

Yes kinda!!!! Thank you Biggrin

62 3,008
 09-15-2016, 07:05 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Legend holds tea was discovered when some leaves fell into a tired emperor's water. Another tale claims a silkworm cocoon dropped into a chinese princess' water leading to that lovely material's beginings. Now you know why so many chinese products contain dangerous byproducts. SANTE is another overlooked soap with an attractive price point and performance. Upset over scent? Let us now journey to Japan. Two buddhist monks were walking along a river and came upon a young maiden unable to cross. One monk carried her safely across, bowed and returned o the other side and resumed their journey. The second monk was oddly silent and finally spoke in anger. YOU violated the monastery rule of never touching a woman! The monk looked serenely at his upset companion.  I left her on the other side of the river. You're the one still carrying her. Burn joss sticks while using it.

2 3,171
 09-16-2016, 03:37 AM
User Info
The Provence Sante Green Tea scent shaving soap has been removed from my shopping list

0 231
 09-16-2016, 06:21 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Both scents are available at BullGoose. I think Provence Sante is one of the best buys for the money. The small puck for $10 or less seems to last forever, and it produces a rich, slick lather that performs as well as most other French soaps. I enjoy the scent of both Green Tea and Verlain. Provence Sante also makes excellent bath soaps.

38 5,198
 09-16-2016, 08:17 AM
User Info
(09-15-2016, 06:44 AM)SpeedyPC Wrote: G'day Winky 

Sounds interesting, may have to check it out!

0 263
 09-16-2016, 01:39 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info

A contrarian view from me:  the scent is my first favorite of all my shaving soaps, and part of the reason is that it smells so natural and unsynthetic.

So there.   Cool

Now, as to performance:  I find it a bit harder to lather than most other shaving soaps.  We have very soft water here, Very Near to the Center of the Known Universe, and most shaving soaps simply explode into lather if I look at them cross-eyed.  (However, looking at too many soaps cross-eyed for too long can have permanent deleterious effects, so I am told, so I tend to lather with water and a brush, instead.)  Often I have read in Mystic Water threads about how Mystic Water shaving soaps are difficult to lather, and such comments leave me deeply mystified:  when I use Mystic Water, I must close the bathroom door lest the clouds of rich lather roll over the floor and out the doorway and into other rooms.  But I digress.

As some here know, I use the Bloom Water Lathering Technique almost exclusively these days.  With our water, the little water that I pour off the puck after blooming it and work up in the mug with an up-to-then dry brush is quite sufficient to provide enough luxurient, thick lather for two passes plus a touch up; my brush never touches the soap puck itself, just the bloom water poured off the soap puck.  However, for two of my soaps, Mike’s Natural and Provence Santé, the bloom water must be supplemented with a swish or two of the wet (from dousing in the bloom water) brush across the top of the wet puck to incorporate enough solids to make the kind and amount of lather that I favor.  In the case of Provence Santé, the soap comes off in thin flakes, sort of like Ivory Flakes laundry soap, that need some working to dissolve and make lather.  

Once the lather is made, however, the Provence Santé soap provides a nice slick glide and protective cushion — yes, with a nice, natural, scent — that enables a fine shave.  Ain’t no flies on Provence Santé from a performance standpoint.

1 1,110
 09-16-2016, 08:23 PM
User Info
I like the scent of the Provence Santé but could say that it is likely someone or a team could make a better smelling green tea scent. I had a couple of the Razorock green tea scents that were nice but they were light. I did like the performance and lather of this soap but would rate it a B.

81 1,368
 09-17-2016, 05:16 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(09-16-2016, 08:23 PM)zaclikestoshave Wrote: I like the scent of the Provence Santé but could say that it is likely someone or a team could make a better smelling green tea scent. I had a couple of the Razorock green tea scents that were nice but they were light. I did like the performance and lather of this soap but would rate it a B.

My late brother-in-law was an excellent cook, and he made (from scratch) the best pasta sauce I ever tasted.  For a midday snack, he also was fond of opening and heating up a canful of Chef Boy-ar-Dee spaghetti.  
His friends would ask him, As you obviously know how good the real thing is, how can you bear to eat that canned stuff?
His reply:   They are two completely different foods, each excellent in its own right.   Why should I try to compare them?

I feel the same way about the scent of Provence Santé Green Tea shaving soap.  Frankly, my nose does not smell any green tea there, but what I do smell is quite delightful.   Rather than judging the scent on the basis of whatever anticipation the label has engendered, why not just assess the scent simply on its own merits, sui generis?

1 1,110
 09-19-2016, 08:26 AM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
i used to really enjoy this scent, then it became too sweet and cloying for me.  The scent is somewhat generic sweet floral, I've smelled something similar on both men and women out and about

17 447