08-04-2012, 05:57 AM
  • wlmcad
  • Memphis, TN
User Info
As some of you may know, my first grandchild made his appearance on July 10, 2012. Opa This event got me to thinking about milestones. Whenever you look back over your life, you see the milestones you have attained. You also may see some that you will not or have not achieved yet.

I am confident that none of us remember the first words we said or our first steps. But as a parent, I do remember those milestones in my three kids’ lives. For me, personally, I remember getting on the bus for my first day of school and my first little league game. I can also relive the day I passed the driving test and got my driver’s license. I remember my first real job. I worked at McDonald’s after high school, and that job helped me attain another milestone; while working at McD’s I met my wife. I went to a local university, so I never stayed in a dorm, but most of my friends went away to school. Going away to college and living in a dorm would be a milestone that I did not experience, but a lot of others did. I remember feeling weak and wobbly on the day I got married. I also remember having sympathy pains during the first trimester of my wife’s three pregnancies, and don’t get me started about the miracle of birth. I was lucky enough to watch the birth of all three of my children—amazing, awesome, and unbelievable. Now I’m an Opa, because my oldest daughter, with the help of her hubby, gave birth to my first grandson. That milestone is what got me started down this path to begin with. There are also milestones still in my future. I am confident some of you experienced some of my milestones, but everyone has unique milestones that are specific to each of us.

Wet shaving has milestones too. Everyone reading this can list their own memorable milestones. In some ways, the wet shaving milestones are like other milestones in your life. They represent the transition from newbie to experienced wet shaver, just as our life milestones represent the transition from child to adult.

They mark our beginnings, first steps, failures, and triumphs. For most, the first milestone is the decision to ditch the electric razor or multi-blade cartridge. Then we gather the hardware and software to begin the wet shaving journey. We all probably remember our first shave and the inevitable first nick. There are triumphant milestones also; the first no nick shave and a shave without razor burn. There is also the first time you apply aftershave and don’t scream like Macaulay Culkin in “Home Alone”.

Some people find the perfect blade / razor combination, the one that perfectly fits their shaving style, beard, and skin type; for others this is a milestone they may never achieve, and that is okay too. Some will venture into shaving with a straight razor, and others will look at them with cocked eyes and dubious looks, realizing that is a milestone they will never consider pursuing.

The most amazing milestone, at least for me in wet shaving, is passing this skill on to the next generation; watching with pride as they achieve their milestones, being able to cheer at their successes, and offering assistance, and advice when questions arise. And that milestone is priceless!

0 539
 08-04-2012, 12:44 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Thank you Bill for a wonderful story about you and your family. I grew up during the Gillette double edge razor era as well as my favorite at the time a Schick Injector. Those were the days when you could buy those razors at any drug store and we had two within a block of my apartment house. Both razors were under a buck and they came with blades(in a dispenser) and a nice plastic case. The fancy stuff was sold at Hoffritz For Cutlery. I remember my Grandfather using an electric razor and didn't realize until I grew up how horrible they are.

100 12,450
 08-04-2012, 01:02 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Bill, beautifully put. For me, that first shaving milestone was on a visit to Chicago when I purchased my first brush and shaving soap at Marshall-Field. The brush was a no-name silver tip badger that I still have and use and the soap was Caswell-Massey Almond. The Caswell-Massey soap was not really good but even it, next to goo in an aerosol can, was a fantastic AHA! moment. I never looked back. Smile (The Weishi TTO razor was next.)

2 11,211
 08-04-2012, 01:27 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
An excellent read Bill!

Thank you for sharing, and Blessings to your new grandson Smile

9 1,684
 08-04-2012, 04:27 PM
User Info
Very thoughtful article, Bill. I really enjoyed reading it.

0 54
 08-05-2012, 05:01 PM
  • wlmcad
  • Memphis, TN
User Info
Thanks to all for your kind words...

0 539
 08-05-2012, 08:12 PM
User Info
Thanks for sharing such a great story, Bill.
Have fun with your grandchild! i guess you can start teaching him the finer points of shaving already, or at least reading him Michael's book, Leisureguy’s Guide to Gourmet Shaving. Hee hee.

75 20,884
 08-05-2012, 08:38 PM
User Info
+1. With all that hair on top of his head, he's likely to start shaving any day now.Biggrin

(08-05-2012, 08:12 PM)celestino Wrote: Thanks for sharing such a great story, Bill.
Have fun with your grandchild! i guess you can start teaching him the finer points of shaving already, or at least reading him Michael's book, Leisureguy’s Guide to Gourmet Shaving. Hee hee.

9 1,199
 08-07-2012, 04:47 PM
User Info
As someone who was never taught to shave by my father (and as a result sported a spotty, hairy, ugly upper lip for a while) I definitely look forward to passing on the skill of traditional wet shaving to my future children. Great story, thank you for sharing.

0 95