09-16-2016, 01:10 PM
User Info
For those of you that have sampled many brushes, which currently available knot/brush most closely resembles a 2016 Paladin knot?

16 152
 09-16-2016, 02:31 PM
User Info
Good question.

I don't know how available it is, but the closest thing I have to the Paladin knot is the Simfix Grosvenor I got this Summer in two band silvertip. 

Feels similar but the loft is higher and the black band is not as long.

Otherwise nothing else I have is really similar. I've only really started trying different brushes over the past year or so though. I feel like I have hardly approached the topic. 

The Paladin brushes I have are from this year with the Select knots and they're unique. All the best characteristics that I enjoy except for curly tips. Two band, springy backbone, great flow through, good medium density and well proportioned loft.

9 1,414
 09-16-2016, 02:37 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Ken has worked closely, As in looking over the shoulder of his suppliers to create  his knots. Plain and simple you wont find anything like them. I was able to field test a few and OMG. If you want a Paladin, get a Paladin. I know, it's part timing, a fast connection and delivered pizza and energy drinks to get one. BUT SOMEBODY HAS TO, might as well be YOU. Think of how much fun you'll have shaving that 3 day beard encrusted with mozzasrella cheese and sauce.

2 3,171
 09-16-2016, 02:49 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
My Paladin is certainly enjoyable and unique. The closet thing I have to it is a two band not D01 Shavemac.

7 451
 09-16-2016, 02:58 PM
User Info
Shavemac 2-band or Thater 2-band. Soft and springy with great flow through.

40 1,166
 09-16-2016, 02:59 PM
User Info
(09-16-2016, 02:31 PM)bakerbarber Wrote: Good question.
I don't know how available it is, but the closest thing I have to the Paladin knot is the Simfix Grosvenor I got this Summer in two band silvertip.
Feels similar but the loft is higher and the black band is not as long.
Otherwise nothing else I have is really similar. I've only really started trying different brushes over the past year or so though. I feel like I have hardly approached the topic.
The Paladin brushes I have are from this year with the Select knots and they're unique. All the best characteristics that I enjoy except for curly tips. Two band, springy backbone, great flow through, good medium density and well proportioned loft.

Signs011 , I, also have an older Wiborg 2-Band that is quite similar, but not the same. These new knots from Paladin are quite unique.

83 21,081
 09-16-2016, 03:11 PM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
I was going to suggest a two-band Silvertip Shavemac in a fan. I have a fan and bulb shape in the Shavemac and a Paladin. They are still different, but it's the closest I have experienced.

61 507
 09-16-2016, 04:23 PM
User Info
Is Paladin like the top shelf of shaving brushes these days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 83
 09-16-2016, 04:29 PM
User Info
(09-16-2016, 04:23 PM)greekgod Wrote: Is Paladin like the top shelf of shaving brushes these days?

Imo there isn't a top shelf just a gap between all of the good manufacturers and then there are the value brushes that are nice for the money. The difference between a $40 brush in finest and a $400 brush in finest is for you to decide. I quite honestly am happy with both , at the moment I own a $35 brush , in the past I have owned several dozen of the best brushes money could buy. It's a journey for me , nothing in my den permanent aside from an old shave mug.

60 1,535
 09-16-2016, 04:55 PM
User Info
There is nothing similar; my Chief is unique among everything I've tried. It's the only mushroom-shaped knot I've ever used, so that alone sets it apart. The tips don't curl with wild abandon like on Shavemac or Thater, but they're just as soft. It's dense but will splay while keeping perfect, controlled form. I just love this thing.

29 1,776
 09-16-2016, 05:10 PM
User Info
Wow learning new and new things.... Lol it's only making my decision harder lol

0 83
 09-16-2016, 05:11 PM
User Info
What I don't understand is that if all the badger hair comes from China how can there be that much difference in quality

0 83
 09-16-2016, 05:25 PM
User Info
Badgers are like horses or cats and most other animals. Some of them are different looking. Different hair length and color and size. 

Different methods of making the knots from the different types of hair from different sources I guess. Older ones and younger ones and different times of the year and I don't know. I am just along the ride.

Angel

9 1,414
 09-16-2016, 05:29 PM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
(09-16-2016, 05:11 PM)greekgod Wrote: What I don't understand is that if all the badger hair comes from China how can there be that much difference in quality

Just like anything else, Volkswagen and Mercedes both make cars but there is a difference. The badger farmers grade hair they sell. You choose where your money will be spent. The trick with a brush is you don't really know if you'll like it until you use it. My first three two band brushes were quickly sold as none had qualities I was looking for. Testing and experimenting is part of the journey.

7 451
 09-16-2016, 06:36 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Any brush that turned you from a can of Barbasal is 'top drawer'. I started out with a $30 brush with a jet black bulb and was proud to have it. There are no secret handshakes, probationary periods or hazing of new shavers with inferior product.
If you can manage  'High end'  'Most Luxurious'  'top Drawer' 'best of the best of the best' go for it. Just keep your head in lather and not the clouds. I see young professionals in the latest Maseratis get smoked every day by a older british acquaintance in a Rover TC saloon

2 3,171
 09-17-2016, 06:37 AM
User Info
(09-16-2016, 04:55 PM)rsp1202 Wrote: There is nothing similar; my Chief is unique among everything I've tried. It's the only mushroom-shaped knot I've ever used, so that alone sets it apart. The tips don't curl with wild abandon like on Shavemac or Thater, but they're just as soft. It's dense but will splay while keeping perfect, controlled form. I just love this thing.

Totally agree with the above. Paladins are truly special.

16 652
 09-17-2016, 06:59 AM
User Info
I think I will go bankrupt very soon!!! All these brushes I want to buy and build!!!

0 83
 09-17-2016, 07:22 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
Acquiring kit is like swimming in heavy surf conditions. Tread water, see whats coming, hold breath and plunge forward. Repeat until washing ashore and that's Sam Elliot and not Pam Anderson giving you  mouth to mouth. Actually, having briefly met both Sam is safer.

2 3,171
 09-17-2016, 08:07 AM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
(09-16-2016, 06:36 PM)kav Wrote: Any brush that turned you from a can of Barbasal is 'top drawer'. I started out with a $30 brush with a jet black bulb and was proud to have it. There are no secret handshakes, probationary periods or hazing of new shavers with inferior product.
If you can manage  'High end'  'Most Luxurious'  'top Drawer' 'best of the best of the best' go for it. Just keep your head in lather and not the clouds. I see young professionals in the latest Maseratis get smoked every day by a older british acquaintance in a Rover TC saloon

Wait, what? I thought my eligibility was due for review in another six months  Sad

7 2,159
 09-18-2016, 05:25 PM
User Info
The Paladin Select knots are excellent and, in my view, comparable to Paladin's earlier knots from Lee Sabini.  For me, knots similar in quality as the Select would include Shavemac Silvertip 2-band (not D01 2-band), as well as Bob Quinn's (Elite Razor) line of premium knots.

50 6,106