08-04-2012, 06:55 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
In my quest for a perfect face lather companion to my Wee Scot I've been trying smaller Simpson brushes in best badger. So far I have only tried Berkeley 46B, but have my eyes on Case, Special, 55, Commodore X1 and possibly some others. I can't afford to own them all at once, so I will probably be selling the ones that do not hit the spot just right. So far I have not tried a bad Simpson brush, so it's not that I wouldn't want to keep them all, I just need to stay sane (right!). anyway, I had a chance to buy a Commodore X1B from BST the other day. It came yesterday and I shaved with it last night. In theory Commodore is pretty much the same as Berkeley. It has very similar measurements (20mm knot and 44mm loft in Commodore and 45mm loft in Berkeley) and the two brushes cost the same (Commodore being $1 more at WCS). So, I didn't think there would be a difference in use. Different handles feel different in hand, sure, but the business end is the same, right? Wrong. I have not measured my particular brushes, but from the pictures it is evident that the Commodore's knot is a bit smaller in general. when I tried the Berkeley I thought it was wonderful (It's a Simpson brush, how bad can it be?), but a bit too big (remember I am looking for a Wee Scot cousin) in a nit picky kind of way. If that was the only brush I had I would be absolutely happy, but this is why we are here isn't it? To try and talk about many different choices we have out there. Well, the Commodore seemed to be just that tiny bit smaller as to hit the Goldie Locks spot for me. I absolutely loved using. I must say that although the handle is beautiful, it is not as chunky and substantial as the Berkeley, so I was a bit bummed out about that, but in use the Commodore handle is great. I loaded a Palmolive stick mushed into a wooden bowl and the Commodore handle seems to be very well suited for bowl loading. In general, another wonderful Simpson brush Experience. This is based on one shave and some test lathers, but I think I am going to really like this brush.

Here are some pictures:

Alone:

Next to the Berkeley:

25 1,705
 08-04-2012, 07:14 AM
User Info
The Commodore X2 is my lone Simpson's brush. It is a really nice brush and will eventually have me getting some more Simpson brushes. My X2 bloomed a ton so it feels a lot larger on my face than my other 22mm knots. I'm sure this brush will have a Duke or Chubby cousin in the family somewhere down the line.

31 7,912
 08-04-2012, 11:25 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
My friend,you are really gonna like that brush!Its a very good face latherer performer and just the right size.Yes,I really liked mine,hope you enjoy yours.

86 7,123
 08-04-2012, 12:22 PM
User Info
The Commodore X1 Best is a really nice brush. I like it alot.

If you want to go even smaller the Special in Best has pretty much the same loft, a slightly longer handle, and a smaller diameter. To me it feels smaller on the face because of the diameter. It doesn't look much smaller though. It actually convinced me that I don't want a smaller brush or I would have a Wee Scot.

Enjoy your x1!

32 6,308
 08-04-2012, 12:59 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
So far after one shave with Commodore 1XB I am extremely pleased with it. The only possible nit pick would be the handle, but my opinion is not fully formed on that as I simply haven't had enough time. I really like a chunky, heavy handle of the Berkeley or the WSP brush I test drove last week. Commodore's handle is really beautiful and actually well designed, but I would prefer chunkier heavier feel in my hand. Again, that's the only thing even remotely negative I can say about the brush as of now. I used it to load the Palmolive stick mushed into a wooden bowl and the handle was about perfect for that with that nub on the end, then when I face lathered it was really fine, but just a little more ample purchase on the handle would have been nice. Other than that I think this is my "Goldie Locks" brush as far as size, density, backbone, etc. Just perfect. Funny, the Berkeley and Commodore 1X have the same knot size (20mm), but Commodore's loft is 1mm shorter at 44mm. That seems to make a difference. I would have never thought it would. I would still like to try other smaller Simpsons just out of curiosity. Case, Special and 55 come to mind. Especially 55, which has an 18mm/41mm knot and costs twice as much as the Special at 19mm/40mm. Must be really dense... I think the Commodore 1XB is plenty dense for me and I wouldn't want more density and I like the brush to give up that lather.

Thanks for all the comments!

25 1,705
 08-14-2012, 06:29 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Well, I have used my Commodore 1XB a few more times and I must say that I absolutely love this brush. It is just sweet, there is no other way to describe it. It's soft, but scrubby, it lathers like crazy, it flows and releases the lather, it dries fast, just a perfect little brush. My Berkeley may be for sale soon...

25 1,705
 08-14-2012, 06:55 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(08-14-2012, 06:29 PM)vferdman Wrote: Well, I have used my Commodore 1XB a few more times and I must say that I absolutely love this brush. It is just sweet, there is no other way to describe it. It's soft, but scrubby, it lathers like crazy, it flows and releases the lather, it dries fast, just a perfect little brush. My Berkeley may be for sale soon...

Yes,man,I told you!Biggrin The X1 that I had was much,much better than the 55 or the Berkeley.Is one of the 3 brushes I have sold which I truly regret it now (very much indeed actually).I might need to get another one!

86 7,123
 08-14-2012, 07:28 PM
User Info
Congrats on the good results with the brush.

75 20,883