09-16-2016, 05:23 PM
  • Slim
  • Tennessee
User Info
HEY,
I'm thinking of buying a Chubby2, but I dont know weather to get a super or best. I definitely want a 3 band. I don't like scratchy feeling brushes. For the past 5 years ive used a Vulfix 2236s at first the brush was scratchy, but after a break in period its pretty soft.

Ive read that Simpson's best grade is the same as vulfixes super grade. Just wandering if Chubby 2 in best would be to scrubby for me? I was thinking of getting a Super grade in chubby 2,  brush because ive read they feel amazing, but the things ive read concerns me. I've read that silver tip brushes are prone to get barbed/hooked tips, also they are  prone to not spring back in shape after the brush is dry. My vulfix looks like it did when I first bought it 5 years ago, but I take very GOOD care of it when it's dry I comb it with a wide toothed comb. The tips are not barbed it springs back into shape when it's dry. Is this true what ive read about silver tip brushes??

0 80
 09-16-2016, 05:47 PM
User Info
The CH2 in best I had (last year) was not for me, I like silky soft brushes and this one was just not as soft as I like. The Simpson super brush I owned (a CH3) was cloud like with the octopus suction effect , I would recommend the super. No gaurentee you will get a brush with tips that are going to hook or the splay from batch to batch could be a bit different and even loft can greatly determine how a brush will splay.

60 1,515
 09-16-2016, 05:52 PM
User Info
How about this?

[Image: Maggard-Razors-26mm-Synthetic-Granite-Ha...50x350.jpg]

0 263
 09-16-2016, 05:55 PM
User Info
If you're sensitive to scratchy brushes, the Chubby 2 in Super will be a safer choice.  There can be some variation in Best, with some users reporting the knots being scratchy and others  saying they are as soft as Super.

Vulfix Super is Simpson Best, and Vulfix Silvertip is Simpson Super.  The Vulfix 2236 you like is a very soft brush.  A Chubby 2 wil be far more dense than your 2236 and may not feel as soft to you.  However, everyone should try a Chubby 2 to experience it's unique feel on your face.

50 6,063
 09-16-2016, 05:57 PM
User Info
You fellas are all caught up in the expensive stuff, you can get really nice synthetics that work fantastic! You might lose bragging rights but you'll like the brush.  Thumbup

0 263
 09-16-2016, 06:07 PM
User Info
(09-16-2016, 05:57 PM)TobyC Wrote: You fellas are all caught up in the expensive stuff, you can get really nice synthetics that work fantastic! You might lose bragging rights but you'll like the brush.  Thumbup

This is a very good point unless you have already tried a synthetic brush and did not like it or want variation.

If you are contemplating a Chubby 2, nowadays, the Best hair is very comparable to the Super, in general, with the density being the main difference. The latter is much denser and both are quite soft, but I find the Super hair to be a bit softer.

Good luck. Shy

83 21,077
 09-16-2016, 06:34 PM
  • Slim
  • Tennessee
User Info
(09-16-2016, 06:07 PM)celestino Wrote:
(09-16-2016, 05:57 PM)TobyC Wrote: You fellas are all caught up in the expensive stuff, you can get really nice synthetics that work fantastic! You might lose bragging rights but you'll like the brush.  Thumbup

This is a very good point unless you have already tried a synthetic brush and did not like it or want variation.

If you are contemplating a Chubby 2, nowadays, the Best hair is very comparable to the Super, in general, with the density being the main difference. The latter is much more denser and both are quite soft, but I find the Super hair to be a bit softer.

Good luck. Shy
Are super/silvertips bad about not going back in shape after the brush has dried? Are they prone damage such as  barbed hooked tips? My vulfix super looks like it did when I bought it 5 years ago. I would love to have a Chubby super,but I don't want to deal with the damage effects as I listed above, that's a lot of dough to pay and the brush hairs get damaged easily. Just wandering???

0 80
 09-16-2016, 06:39 PM
User Info
I bought 2 x ch2 recently, one in super and one in best. My favorite so far is the best. But things may change as the brushes aren't broken in. The super is denser, and have a slightly taller and fan shaped knot.
The best is the softer of the two, but I have used the best a bit more(4 times).
I also have a muhle synthetic v2 xl and there is no comparison. Too much backbone, soft tips but once you press the knot all the softness is gone. It just feel very synthetic to me.
Also, one negative on these brushes is that they need extra time to dry between uses. Mine dry in about 72 hrs. We are talking about some of the densest brushes ever made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 68
 09-16-2016, 06:41 PM
User Info
(09-16-2016, 06:34 PM)Slim Wrote:
(09-16-2016, 06:07 PM)celestino Wrote:

If you are contemplating a Chubby 2, nowadays, the Best hair is very comparable to the Super, in general, with the density being the main difference. The latter is much more denser and both are quite soft, but I find the Super hair to be a bit softer.

Good luck. Shy
Are super/silvertips bad about not going back in shape after the brush has dried? Are they prone damage such as  barbed hooked tips? My vulfix super looks like it did when I bought it 5 years ago. I would love to have a Chubby super,but I don't want to deal with the damage effects as I listed above, that's a lot of dough to pay and the brush hairs get damaged easily. Just wandering???

Never heard of damage effect on badgers unless you treat them poorly and improper.

Have owned 150+ badgers, never had an issue with any one of them except, that I didn't fancy the feel of some of them (subjective and personal issue)

FYI curved hairs in a used badger brush is something people will look for, because it can provide you with the soft cloud like gel like tips feel.

You sound a bit paranoid to be honest. Relax, it's a badger brush, it's meant to be used, but in a proper way of course.

24 5,965
 09-16-2016, 06:43 PM
User Info
I owned a Chubby 2 Super 3-band from 2016, which was very nice and soft and dense.

I also own a Chubby 2 Best 3-band from 2012, which is even more soft and better IMHO.

My Chubby 3 Best from 2013 is also angel soft at the tips.

I think it was Gary Young that once said his favourite Simpson brush: "Chubby 2 in Best, Best is Best"

24 5,965
 09-16-2016, 06:45 PM
User Info
(09-16-2016, 06:43 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I owned a Chubby 2 Super 3-band from 2016, which was very nice and soft and dense.

I also own a Chubby 2 Best 3-band from 2012, which is even more soft and better IMHO.

My Chubby 3 Best from 2013 is also angel soft at the tips.

I think it was Gary Young that once said his favourite Simpson brush: "Chubby 2 in Best, Best is Best"

I have to agree with this. The chubby 2 in best, blew me away.

0 68
 09-16-2016, 07:53 PM
User Info
I have one coming tomorrow Smile

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

3 36
 09-16-2016, 08:29 PM
  • Slim
  • Tennessee
User Info

Got some questions about synthetics. One brand in specific,  the razor rock synthetic. What is the quality of razor rocks synthetic brushes? Will this brand of synthetic give me close to the performance, soft pillow cloud like feel, easy of lathering, great flow through as a Super grade/silver tip? I was searching razor rocks site I see they have a 26mm x 54mm that's my ideal knot size.

0 80
 09-16-2016, 08:30 PM
User Info
(09-16-2016, 08:29 PM)Slim Wrote:
(09-16-2016, 05:57 PM)TobyC Wrote: You fellas are all caught up in the expensive stuff, you can get really nice synthetics that work fantastic! You might lose bragging rights but you'll like the brush. 

Got some questions about synthetics. One brand in specific,  the razor rock synthetic. What is the quality of razor rocks synthetic brushes? Will this brand of synthetic give me close to the performance, soft pillow cloud like feel, easy of lathering, great flow through as a Super grade/silver tip? I was searching razor rocks site I see they have a 26mm x 54mm that's my ideal knot size.
They use the plissoft knot so should be extremely soft

3 36
 09-17-2016, 09:22 AM
  • RSP1
  • Western NY
User Info
It's not quite as soft as the Plisson synthetics. I've had both and the RazoRock Plissofts just aren't as soft. They seem to be more dense and with more backbone.

12 323
 09-17-2016, 12:37 PM
User Info
(09-17-2016, 09:22 AM)RSP1 Wrote: It's not quite as soft as the Plisson synthetics. I've had both and the RazoRock Plissofts just aren't as soft. They seem to be more dense and with more backbone.

That's odd since it's the exact same knot

Per RazoRock

Quote:For over a year now, there has been a synthetic shaving brush that's been all-the-rage in the traditional wet shaving community and sells for between thirty and fifty dollars. RazoRock has sourced the same knot and mated it to a heavy resin handle with our RazoRock logo stamped on the side. 

3 36
 09-17-2016, 12:39 PM
  • RSP1
  • Western NY
User Info
It doesn't feel the same. I'm sure I'm not the only one who notices it. It might be denser or set lower in the handle lowering the loft. It's not the same.

12 323
 09-17-2016, 12:51 PM
User Info
(09-17-2016, 12:37 PM)Lenaud01 Wrote:
(09-17-2016, 09:22 AM)RSP1 Wrote: It's not quite as soft as the Plisson synthetics. I've had both and the RazoRock Plissofts just aren't as soft. They seem to be more dense and with more backbone.

Per RazoRock

Quote:For over a year now, there has been a synthetic shaving brush that's been all-the-rage in the traditional wet shaving community and sells for between thirty and fifty dollars. RazoRock has sourced the same knot and mated it to a heavy resin handle with our RazoRock logo stamped on the side. 

Plisson knot is not the same as 'Plissoft'. If you have both, compare them, they are definitely different. Even just looking at the hairs, the Plisson fibers have a lot of little waves in them, the Plissoft is not as defined. They are very similar, but not the same.

7 325
 09-17-2016, 01:13 PM
User Info
(09-17-2016, 12:37 PM)Lenaud01 Wrote:

Per RazoRock

We will never know if it's the same hair or not.

Even Plisson synthetic brushes have also been sold with slightly different hair if you look over the last 2-3 years, some will argue.

Also, the reason RazoRock and Stirling synthetics with the close to identical Plisson fibre hairs are more solid in feel is because they are more densely packed, have more of a pronounced glue bump and also some of them have a knot size to loft ratio, that makes them feel more solid and less soft.

Hope this explains it to you  Smile

24 5,965
 09-17-2016, 01:17 PM
User Info
Maggards synthetics as well

3 36