09-16-2016, 06:27 PM
User Info
Get out and have a look.

[Image: e3bpUhb.jpg]

Take a better picture than I did too!

Going to be a lunar eclipse also tonight.

7 1,314
 09-16-2016, 06:41 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Chilled Cremont check
Strawberries   check
Andy Williams CD of Moon River, Sinatra Fly Me To The moon  check
Penhaligons Endymion check
girlfreind meeting me at lake @ 8 check

2 3,171
 09-16-2016, 06:46 PM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
I'm visiting my daughter at college and just spent over two hours with a giddy astronomy professor and his toys (telescope, planetarium, etc.) It was awesome.

61 507
 09-16-2016, 06:55 PM
  • eengler
  • Administrator
  • South Dakota, USA
User Info
Sitting around a campfire watching it rise! Very nice.

59 4,385
 09-16-2016, 07:16 PM
User Info
It's HUUUGE

~Royce

4 373
 09-16-2016, 07:19 PM
User Info
 09-17-2016, 12:11 PM
User Info
We were playing football (soccer), this past Thursday night, and the moon was spectacular! Biggrin

82 21,056
 09-17-2016, 12:57 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
The most spectacular was back in the early 80s. I was one term at UC Santa Cruz waiting for the  Bizerkly Anthropology Department to open up. I met this scottish redhead who overstayed her visitor's visa and dated for awhile. There was a mythical treehouse in the redwood grove above Merrill College  she lived in ( or is it up)? We spent the night drinking scotch and playing Pink Floyd DARK SIDE OF THE MOON on a cassette deck. The biggest and closest moon I ever saw came up that no space art genre could capture. Then I looked over a saw my first Banana Slug
with a lady Banana Slug moving faster than I was.
Last night was more special, and I didn't have to climb down a tree in the morning half drunk and go take a test- which I aced.

2 3,171
 09-18-2016, 08:37 AM
User Info
It was also a very close to the earth full moon, that made it a hair larger than average. But the lunar eclipse was for the eastern hemisphere, not for us.

Bakerb' it's basically a rock in full sunlight so unless it's an auto camera it needs to be set for that. Auto cameras will overexpose with a black background. They want to make the background grey and that burns out the highlights , which in this case is the moon. Or if auto exposure but selective metering, take a spot reading of just the moon and it should be fine and the background will be nice and black, maybe with a few stars/planets seen.

32 6,445
 09-18-2016, 02:19 PM
User Info
Thanks for the info about the moon and the photo tips Brian.

Biggrin

I took that with a cellphone camera is all. 

Only other option I have is a little point and shoot Kodak from 2007. I don't think it does what you are talking about. 

I was wondering about the eclipse. The last time I watched for one I remember it taking hours and being a bit underwhelming. This past full moon, AccuWeather website had some click bait article about the Harvest Moon being an eclipse. It read like it was written by a robot or a manikin. No details or elaboration and I forgot about it without reading a more detailed description until I was out with my dogs that night and the yard was lit up like dusk. 

I will have to double check anything I read from a website headline before repeating it. 
Blush

7 1,314