09-16-2016, 07:21 PM
User Info
Summer is still around here in NYC but I'm thinking about getting a good scuttle that keeps my lather warm for winter mornings. After doing some research, the one from Schwarzweisskeramic called Duo looks very appealing to me. It's a two piece scuttle which looks not bulky making it easier to handle for lathering. Those who owns or have experience using this scuttle, can you please tell me what you think about this scuttle?

1 10
 09-18-2016, 12:25 PM
  • HMan
User Info
No experience here, but I'm also shopping for a bowl / scuttle. I think that looks great, and is an nice idea in principle, but my concern was in practice it would be fiddly having the top and bottom separate like that and most likely be more topple prone than the small basic.

Not related to your question, but I'm eying his Freestyle mug as I think that would be a great shape for bowl lathering, based on the similarly shaped camping cup I now use. Yes, my current sad state of affairs is to use either a plastic kidney shaped camping cup, or stainless sierra cup.

The sad thing is on the German side of the side there's a message that he's not producing anymore due to being ill, and only selling his remaining stock. No idea what this means, but I did mail him about the Freestyle. I'll update here if I get a reply.

0 19
 09-18-2016, 12:27 PM
User Info
Has to be good, it's hard to pronounce!

0 262
 09-20-2016, 06:45 AM
  • HMan
User Info
Ansgar replied to my enquiry and he's in good health again and starting to make scuttles and bowls!

0 19
 09-20-2016, 08:06 AM
User Info
Thanks very much for sharing the information. Good to hear that he's making scuttles again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 10
 09-21-2016, 01:42 AM
  • HMan
User Info
(09-20-2016, 08:06 AM)1120Joe Wrote: Thanks very much for sharing the information. Good to hear that he's making scuttles again!

Yes it is, I like the look of his designs, good and functional looking. I'm also really tempted by the duo, or the small basic, but will get the freestyle no matter what.

He will producing more of those in October and asked me to contact then, so there may be some wait involved with ordering, but I'm in no hurry.

0 19
 10-02-2016, 05:56 PM
User Info
Still seeking out for options for my first scuttle. To clarify, I mostly face lather so I need a brush scuttle. I found that SRD brush scuttle receives quite good reviews in terms of heat retention but is the SRD scuttle large enough to accommodate a Chubby 3?

1 10
 10-02-2016, 10:02 PM
User Info
Beautiful stuff. Very well designed.

7 954
 12-28-2016, 03:28 AM
  • HMan
User Info
As hoped, the Trio version arrived on Christmas Eve. I have nothing but good to say about this scuttle. It fits in my limited space, plus I prefer to hold the bowl while mixing, and the stand makes a good handle.

Performance is top notch, it keeps foam warm for a LONG time. In fact it almost seems to get warm pass by pass.

I just turn the tap up to max heat and fill the the sink while I shower, then refill when it's time to shave.

I use the small bowl to for the razor between passes, again filling with max hot water from the tap. I'll refill it from time to time. Keeps the blade warm and out of the soapy sink.

[Image: 15726340_1120431371402710_17804882400431...e=58F5055C]

0 19
 01-21-2017, 05:37 PM
User Info
(12-28-2016, 03:28 AM)HMan Wrote: As hoped, the Trio version arrived on Christmas Eve. I have nothing but good to say about this scuttle. It fits in my limited space, plus I prefer to hold the bowl while mixing, and the stand makes a good handle.

Performance is top notch, it keeps foam warm for a LONG time. In fact it almost seems to get warm pass by pass.

I just turn the tap up to max heat and fill the the sink while I shower, then refill when it's time to shave.

I use the small bowl to for the razor between passes, again filling with max hot water from the tap. I'll refill it from time to time. Keeps the blade warm and out of the soapy sink.

[Image: 15726340_1120431371402710_17804882400431...e=58F5055C]

I am glad that Ansgar is back in the Saddle, and that trio is sunning. I have the XL and soap dish in the same color pattern that my daughter gave me two years ago for Christmas.  I have used it for each shave since when I am in my den. I had a G20 Georgetown Pottery scuttle that I loved, but I gifted it to my son who also wet shaves. I use it year round because warm lather feels good year round.

0 24