09-17-2016, 08:22 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
There are a lot of overly hyped soaps and creams with dubious performance but there are also a few excellent soaps and creams that somehow never seem to get talked about much. Today, I reached for Alvarez Gomez shaving cream (actually more of a croap) and asked myself yet again, why isn't this stuff discussed more. I love everything about it from the scent, the performance and the after shave skin care qualities.

What is your favorite shave soap or cream that somehow never seems to get discussed on the forums?

46 18,626
 09-17-2016, 08:31 AM
User Info
Hmm.  Alvarez Gomez.  Never tried it but do know where I can get some!  (Should have found time to stop in last time I was in SOCAL.). Soap I like and don't hear much about is Local Gent tallow.

3 173
 09-17-2016, 08:35 AM
  • ddk13
  • USA
User Info
I'm a big fan of Deluxe Shaving.  I have three of their creams and the performance is excellent.  I like my soaps/creams to be very slick.  I get an elmer's glue consistency with my lather just how I like it.  I'd say it's similar to Shannon's as well as MW.  Good good stuff and wonderful scents to boot.

49 639
 09-17-2016, 08:48 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Alvarez Gomez is an outstanding cream, definitely in the top tier. 

One of my favorite soaps that doesn't get talked about much is Klar Seiffen. I also put this in my top tier. It probably isn't as popular as it should be because if the small can that it comes in. I always grate mine into a large jar. A small puck lasts forever, as I believe it's the only soap that has been milled five times.

Addendum: I forgot to mention one of my favorite creams and balms: AOS Ocean Kelp. I purchased this on B/S/T on a whim, more out of curiosity about the scent, and never expected much in terms of performance. Was I ever wrong--what a great cream!

38 5,199
 09-17-2016, 08:49 AM
User Info
I have three.  

1) Jeeves of Hudson Street.  Wonderful soap.  lathers up easily, slick and protective, good scents, nice post-shave face feel.  

2) Country Club for Men vegan recipe.  Quickest, easiest lather ever.  Slick, protective, good post-shave.  Multiple scents from which to choose. 

3) Dr. Jon's.  New formula just came out; firmer so easier to load from a brush.  AMAZING scents.  Huge fan of Savannah Sunrise.

2 1,554
 09-17-2016, 08:52 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(09-17-2016, 08:48 AM)evnpar Wrote: Alvarez Gomez is an outstanding cream, definitely in the top tier. 

One of my favorite soaps that doesn't get talked about much is Klar Seiffen. I also put this in my top tier. It probably isn't as popular as it should be because if the small can that it comes in. I always grate mine into a large jar. A small puck lasts forever, as I believe it's the only soap that has been milled five times.
Klar Seiffen is a great soap. I agree -they would sell a lot more of it if they put it in a larger and more sturdy container.

46 18,626
 09-17-2016, 09:10 AM
User Info
It was brought up recently but really Baume Be doesn't seem to get much love but is an outstanding cream.

20 1,375
 09-17-2016, 10:12 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Razor Master soaps are really good. They are artisan made from Finland. I enjoy mine every time I shave with it. I have the coffee scented one, the Uula. I also made a review a few months ago. I highly recommend this soap.

49 2,017
 09-17-2016, 11:16 AM
  • jtmke
  • Ex shaving hater
  • milwaukee
User Info
Simpson citrus blast
Alvarez Gomez

I find both to be very good performance and scent wise.

9 462
 09-17-2016, 11:29 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
La Cignal which Phil is gifting in orders is another french sleeper entering THE BIG SLEEP from lack of sales. It's a croap with Aloe at a nice price point. I am not a personal fan of Aloe and some people actually are allergic to it. Cacti and succulants have lots of strange alkaloids. I belief they found a nice balance of soothing qualities in this one. I highly recommend it, if nothing else as a 'first aid' soap. If you have a bad reaction to another product, excessive weepers or sunburn a few days with La Cignale and you can start over.

2 3,171
 09-17-2016, 11:49 AM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Cream:  Baume.be
Absolutely fantastic performance from a cream and equals XPec (overpriced).

Soaps: Wickham's 1912 (vegan) & Jeeves of Hudson Street (tallow).
I'm a diehard tallow soap fan.  Most veggie soaps (at least ones based on coconut oil/stearic acid) dry my skin out.  But the new Wickham's "1912" vegan formula is straight-up amazing.  Loads the brush easily and you get a thick slick stable lather with almost no effort.  Post-shave (my kryptonite) is fantastic.
Jeeves soaps are all fantastic.  Scents are slightly underwhelming but the performance is out of this world.

47 1,951
 09-17-2016, 12:22 PM
User Info
Soap: Klar Seifen & Wickham 1912
Cream: Floris 89 & Atkinson Lavender

24 6,019
 09-17-2016, 02:30 PM
  • pbrmhl
  • Seattle
User Info
This is a great question, and one that is easy for me to answer.

Far and away, my best soap or cream is one rarely mentioned: Wm Neumann shaving cream in the 8oz jug with a squirt mechanism. I have Absolute Zero, Old-Fashioned Soda, 1907, Heartwood and 1911. They are all outstanding--the easiest product I own to lather, and the lather is unbeatable. I also enjoy my Nuavias, Baume.be, XPEC, MdC, etc., but the Neumann truly stands out.

6 388
 09-17-2016, 02:36 PM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
I actually enjoy the Simpson Creams and the St. James of London creams.

61 507
 09-17-2016, 02:43 PM
User Info
Biotique and Reef Point

11 1,170
 09-17-2016, 02:51 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
(09-17-2016, 02:43 PM)1Geralt Wrote: Biotique and Reef Point

Biotique is fantastic. I forgot to mention it and I'm glad that you did.

38 5,199
 09-17-2016, 03:55 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I completely agree with you about Alvarez Gomez shaving cream, Phil...I only recently discovered this one and I love everything about--performance and scent are perfect.  Definitely competes with creams double the price.

I mentioned some of these in another thread, but some others of mine that have been seeing a lot of use lately:  GFT Coconut Oil Cream, Speick--both stick and cream, AoS Ocean Kelp, St. James of London Mandarin & Patchouli, and Czech & Speake soaps--both No. 88 and Oxford & Cambridge.  I rarely ever read about these products, and they are such incredible performers in my den!  Heck, I'll even throw in Tabac and MWF, which used to get talked about a lot, but these days you rarely hear about them, with only occasional mentions.  

I know I'm forgetting at least one or two more that I'd like to mention... Blush

34 1,627
 09-17-2016, 04:22 PM
User Info
(09-17-2016, 02:51 PM)evnpar Wrote:
(09-17-2016, 02:43 PM)1Geralt Wrote: Biotique and Reef Point

Biotique is fantastic. I forgot to mention it and I'm glad that you did.

I know, right? I can't believe it's price to performance ratio. This humble cream is one of my top performers!

11 1,170
 09-17-2016, 04:24 PM
User Info
(09-17-2016, 12:22 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Soap: Klar Seifen & Wickham 1912
Cream: Floris 89 & Atkinson Lavender

Been very curious about Atkinson Lavender Cream.
For me Speick is VERY underrated! Very cheap and works as well as all the expensive creams 10 times the price!!!
I just started using I Colonaili and it's out of this world , besides the talks The last few days after Phil mentioned it would be discontinued, it was barely mentioned anywhere... props to Johnny for sticking to it

18 787
 09-17-2016, 04:25 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
The joys of forums...now you guys have me looking up Biotique Tongue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34 1,627