09-17-2016, 12:18 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
Lately, I was lucky enough to buy some very nice vintage razors in mint condition. All were priced fairly, nothing exorbitant. I found them at flea markets, antique stores and a couple of them on Ebay.
From time to time, I like to visit such places or search on Ebay etc. for fairly priced vintage items. I like to have a small vintage collection with items in excellent condition. Some of them are in such a perfect condition that I can't even use them. They look brand new.
After years of searching, I came into the conclusion that prices have raised a lot lately. It's getting very difficult to find razors in good condition at good prices. Almost every time I have to make offers to the sellers. The other day I visited an antique store and the seller wanted to sell me a GEMjr with unknown handle, probably a copy, an Eastern- European razor handle, for 40 euros. Also, I was searching on Ebay for a Red Tip in good condition and I couldn't find one for less than 70-80$, including shipping. Most of them were in bad condition. Fatboys are selling for almost 100-120$, Slims for 60-80$, Aristocrats for 160-250 at least etc. I bought my Slim for 10€ and my Aristocrat for 40€ and both are in excellent condition.

I am of the opinion that prices shouldn't have raised like that, since you can find great modern razors at great prices. Even some excellent modern stainless steel razors are less expensive than some vintage and they shave absolutely great. I am sure that not all of us are collectors or use exclusively vintage razors, so I really can't get it, why prices have raised so much. Nowadays, gentlemen who use vintage are admittedly the minority here. Just a look at the forum threads, posts, SOTDs is enough to understand that. So, it makes no sense. I really hope that soon the market will adjust itself, otherwise the prices in the next few years will go crazy high.

I made the mistake a few months ago to sell almost every vintage razor I had, I deeply regretted it and wanted to have them back. I did it, but, believe me, it was very difficult and I had to search a lot. Needs a lot of patience and luck. My point is, don't sell the vintage razors you already have, unless they are duplicates. If you regret it in the future, you will pay double the price you paid for them and you'll have to search a lot with no guaranteed results.

49 1,996
 09-17-2016, 12:35 PM
  • chazt
  • Bayside, NY
User Info
Good point, Nick. I have only ever gotten rid of razors of which I had duplicates. Just yesterday in fact, I gave my buddy a Schick type G injector. It was the most aggressive of my three injectors, he likes an aggressive razor and I won't miss it, so why the hell not? It's a win-win, this time Sisi

7 2,147
 09-17-2016, 12:42 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
I just think about the Dutch Tulip Mania and will pick up a Cobalt Darwin from some guy who needs to eat next month.

2 3,171
 09-17-2016, 01:01 PM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
Well, I'm rather late to the vintage game. I have been shocked as to the wide range of prices that these razors run. I saw one Gillette President sell for $60, then an almost identical one goes for $175. I see New Types range from $5 to $75. I am too new to this to get it. I just know that I'm willing to pay only so much. If it is beyond that, I can live without it.

I do agree that, with crazy prices abounding, if I find a reasonably priced find that I really like, I will keep it. I find, where I live, it is difficult to find vintage razors. So, it takes me too much time to track them down. My time is worth more than money.

61 507
 09-17-2016, 02:06 PM
User Info
I've seen the same thing, although it does feel a little like the market maxed out around last Christmas.  My wife got me a FatBoy a couple of years ago and paid $100 (but it also included a razor stand that was likely worth $25).  There are a few razors I'd like to add to my collection, but I struggle justifying the prices.  I'm glad I got most of my collection in the $10 to $30 range because they sell for a lot more now.

0 30
 09-17-2016, 02:35 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
All my razors are vintage, three are family heirlooms. At the time, years ago, they were the same or even lesser priced than moderns and in my experience shaved as good or in most cases better than the modern options of the same cost. Now , it's true, the prices on them have gone up and I may have chosen differently considering that but I'm happy things fell out the way they did for me. Vintage blades on the other hand are noticeably better and , again, all I use.

7 2,327
 09-17-2016, 02:49 PM
User Info
Another late comer here on the vintage game. Heck I am late on the Weber game. 

Anyway I am at that point where I am cautious with my purchases now. I have went all out and only a few, including vintages lives up to the hype in my experience.

I really liked the English Flat bottomed tech though. It's fairly easy to find and inexpensive.

11 1,169
 09-17-2016, 03:06 PM
User Info
I see it as a cycle and like the tides.

A lot has to do with fads and what's being discussed at the moment.

Considering the options available for brand new modern razors, I would expect the vintage market to be very soft. The user grade and less than mint condition side seems soft to me. 

Mint condition or better is always going to be a premium.

The odd stuff is what I have seen the bottom drop out of in some cases. Not all. Take Wilkinson Sticky razors. People used to bid them up to the stars. Some of the rare Gillette razors like Big Fellows. With a nice wooden box they're still pricey, but a nice one without accessories is not going to break the bank lately. New Standards, Black Beauty short handle. Not as much as they used to be.

The oddball and rare stuff is more attainable I think long as there's no ongoing hype about it when you stumble upon something.

Mint or better sets are what they are and sellers have become more savy with researching stuff. They list keywords in auctions and lookup previous sales online before tagging them at antique shops.

There's only so many truly New Old stock items. 

Pricing will go up and pricing will go down. I think most new wet shavers are happy to buy modern unused gear now that they have such a great selection of items easily available.

That I feel will eventually lead to lower prices for all but the most pristine examples or exceedingly rare items.

9 1,411
 09-17-2016, 03:25 PM
User Info
Prices don't seem to have any rhyme or reason for vintage razors or other shaving related items. Last year I bought a GEM Micromatic for 3 bucks on eBay, but last month I also got a combo of an unbranded DE razor and a Schick Krona for the same price. Last year I got a mint Fatboy with case,manual, original blades for 50 bucks in a Toronto shop, which seems to be unheard of if eBay is any indication. None of those prices mean anything because it seems to be luck of the draw and subject to how much one wants to pay, really, and timing. 

Then again, I've only really stepped into this in the last year or two, so I'm sure prices have been going up in general since even five years ago.

0 7
 09-17-2016, 04:25 PM
User Info
I think pricing comes down to what the buyer will pay, there are some razors I have that I most likely over paid for and some were had at a bargain.

6 1,339
 09-17-2016, 06:13 PM
  • JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • East Coast
User Info
With the prices for vintage razors I am seeing on eBay and other places I just don't see how this can be sustained (speaking about user grade razors) and think some of this is being spiked by either late comers or sellers just listing razors for a random/high price to see if someone will pay that much for it. I enjoy the vintage razors that I am fortunate enough to have but if I had to pay the prices that they are going for now I would gladly get new artisan made razors instead.

8 451
 10-10-2016, 07:08 PM
  • Jorvaljr
  • Temple city, California
User Info
I've noticed the same thing. I actually buy and sell razors. Not so much because I'm trying to get rich... lol but my wife pretty much told me if I buy one more razor with money from our bank account ... I'll be shaving outside using a waterhose.. so I sold some of mine and bought some razors to resell. It has been only to fuel my RAD and has allowed me to acquire some razors I wouldn't have been able to otherwise.
There are deals to be had, but not like they use to be. There is a change of course though. For instance I was selling slims for about $30-$35 for just the razor, $40-$50 for one in the case. I wouldn't say they were user grade as far as condition , but now I can't even sell them for $25. Fatboy's are slightly dropping as well. Super speeds and flare tips are getting harder to sell for $10. What I see is that sellers are more aware of what they were going for and all are pricing them similarly. There is a saturation of common razors and some of the rarer ones are going for a little more now. Sets that were getting $75+ aren't so much now.
So pricing has gone up across the board but they are getting harder to sell. Pricing will drop in my opinion.

3 171
 10-11-2016, 10:31 AM
User Info
I hate to say it but I'm starting to think people are taking advantage of the popularity of wet shaving. It's no secret a majority of wet shavers collect and enjoy purchasing items especially hard to find discontinued or vintage items. When I first got involved with wet shaving fat boys were going for $30-$40 and they were nice showy ones. People sold there brushes for less than they paid for them etc. Now people are looking to profit of these items and it sure is a practice that goes against what his hobby once practiced.

60 1,530
 10-11-2016, 11:13 AM
  • JRRIII
  • Blossoming Addict
  • East Coast
User Info
Both great points by nova and jr. I have noticed that about slims in just the almost a year of owning one. When I got what appears to be a nos slim I paid in the high 60's for it (gladly) but now I am seeing similar sets go for slightly less. I am also noticing the trend you are talking about where sellers of a "rare" item seems to look at the going rates moments before listing and list there on for either slightly higher or slightly lower with usually a buy it now instead of auction (at least as far as ebay is concerned). I have happened to score a couple razors recently for realistic prices but both just seemed to be motivated to sell them rather than hold out for the highest amount they felt they could get eventually by holding on to them. Maybe this was due to the saturation you are speaking of jr? I do think that fat boy's are destined to take a significant a hit because one minute someone is saying they are rare, the next you read they made millions of them, and then moments after that you check ebay and can find a seemingly unlimited amount of them for sale. Regardless, it's certainly interesting following the market more and more from a spectator stand point, especially now that I got the 2 vintage razors I really wanted to check off my "list" and have started becoming increasingly interested in newer artisan made razors.

8 451
 10-11-2016, 11:14 AM
User Info
Corey, I agree with you.  I believe the B/S/T of the shaving forums should be just as before. Not trying to profit, and accommodating other guys with the same interests.

24 1,226
 10-11-2016, 11:17 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I visited an antique store the other day and found an Old Type. It was not in good condition. The seller was asking 40 euros for this one. I asked why he was asking 40 euros for a razor with a broken tooth that is no more functional. His answer was, what are you waiting after all these years, it's a collector's item, not for use. Lol.
As I said, it's getting difficult to find nice pieces at good prices lately. A reason why this is happening is because there are some guys that visit these places and buy whatever they find at any asking price without even making offers, the sellers understand that it's very possible to find more "victims" in the future and raise their prices. Simple logic. There is a "barbershop movement", many new- style barbershops open in town, people are wondering about the traditional way of shaving and want to know more. As a result, there are many new wet shavers enthusiasts that know just the basics of our hobby. They learn that there are flea markets and antique stores that it's likely to find vintage shaving items and that's it. Sellers take advantage of it and becomes difficult for all us to find what we're looking for at a fair price. Most of them don't accept offers anymore and ask exorbitant prices for user grade items.

49 1,996
 10-11-2016, 05:50 PM
User Info
To me a brassy pitted fat boy that clicks closes and shaves is a $20 - $25 razor. A used M&F brush I bought for $165 and am selling 2 years later is $100 - $125 brush. That's honestly what I would like to see the hobby go back to.

60 1,530
 10-11-2016, 09:35 PM
  • Jorvaljr
  • Temple city, California
User Info
The one thing I want to point out, bidders on auction sites are also at fault. I've seen things go for way more than they are worth because of the panic bidders face at the end of auctions. It creates a frenzy and starts creeping the pricing of razors higher. Eventually the spike becomes the norm.

3 171
 10-12-2016, 04:02 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Like any product vintage razors are priced at what the seller thinks the market will bear. If enough people stop paying the price eventually they will drop.

Bob

0 1,694
 10-12-2016, 08:22 AM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
I recently bought a GEM MMOC for $10 on Ebay plus $3 shipping.  It's in great condition and I get awesome shaves with it.  I guess it depends on what you're after.

Eric

48 976