Poll: who is more efficient and better for Heavy beard ?
 09-18-2016, 11:44 AM
User Info
who is more efficient and better for: thick,dense, and Heavy beard ???
Merkur 39C/37C (Slant) , OR Fatip Piccolo ????

will thank you if you participate in the poll !
Thank you very much [Image: smile.png]

0 58
 09-18-2016, 12:44 PM
User Info
I have a Piccolo, I don't have a slant, so I voted Piccolo. But from what I've heard, the slant is the right answer to the question.

0 263
 09-18-2016, 12:57 PM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
I also have this beard type. I had the 39C and the Fatip, but sold them after many shaves.
Both are very efficient razors. 39C is a lot heavier. Fatip is less expensive. The one is slant, while the other is open comb. None of them has an excellent finish, but the 39C has a better one. Fatip razors are also known for alignment issues, many users have this problem and adjust the blade every time they use them. 39C has a longer barberbole handle, while the Piccolo has a slim short lined handle. None of them is a very smooth shaver. Takes some time to get used to them.

They are totally different razors. There is no right answer.

49 1,938
 09-18-2016, 02:24 PM
User Info
I have them both. My first choice would be 39c, if I were you.

0 123
 09-18-2016, 04:34 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
My suggestion, if money is not an issue, is wait for Italian Barber's next batch of Wunderbar Slants.  Very efficient and smooth - definitely more than the 39C.

1 795
 09-19-2016, 08:32 AM
User Info
I have heard slants may be prone to clogging especially with heavy, dense and thick beard. My choice was Piccolo and it didn't disappoint. I have neither significant blade alignment nor build quality issues. Besides, Piccolo is heavy, sturdy and all brass razor with solid, non-slippery, comfortable handle and is a lot cheaper than zamak/pot-metal made Merkurs. Obviously I voted Piccolo.

0 10
 09-19-2016, 06:33 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
A thick, dense, heavy beard might benefit from an open comb, hence I'd suggest the FaTip. Its less clogging and fairly aggressive. I've owned both and sold both. I replaced the FaTip with a number of Joris razors (similar aggressiveness, but smoother, unfortunately more expensive, but better made and far prettier). I found the FaTip more efficient than the slant.

99 18,011
 09-20-2016, 08:17 AM
User Info
I have used both. Sold the 39C and the Picollo is one of my daily drivers. I have tried these slants: 37C, 39C, Ikon Shavecraft 102, Ikon X3 and the latest PAA Bakelite. I want to try the Wunderbar when it becomes available again. To me the slants just aren't as efficient as the Piccolo. The Bakelite comes the closest but it is way too lite. I also like the R41 and Mergress.

14 97