09-18-2016, 08:05 PM
  • Slim
  • Tennessee
User Info
hi fellows,

I need some info on synthetic shaving brushes. I've always used natural hair brushes. I wanted to try a silver tip/super natural hair but the price is a little to expensive. I've got my eye on a Stirling 26mm x54mm synthetic, because thats my ideal knot size.

What is the quality of Stirling synthetic brushes?  Are synthetic more durable that natural, or do they wear more than a natural? Do they feel similar to the face to a silver tip natural when lathering, meaning soft cloud like feel. Do they release lather easy, or are they lather hogs? How to i deep clean a synthetic? On my natural hair brush I deep clean about every 4 months.  I usually do a part vinegar part water soak, or a borax soak. Can I do the same with synthetic hair, or does a different method need to be used when cleaning?

0 80
 09-18-2016, 08:44 PM
User Info
What is the quality of Stirling synthetic brushes:
It's good, similar to Razorock, Fine and Maggards in my estimation.

Are synthetic more durable that natural, or do they wear more than a natural:
I really want to know this too, I am a fan of synthetics, in my opinion I think they would last a long time. But I don't have any point of referrence as these plisson types are quite new. Perhaps those who have the Plisson synthetic for years may shed some light here.

Do they feel similar to the face to a silver tip natural when lathering, meaning soft cloud like feel:
Not sure if similar but they are indeed very soft. Some can have a little more feel when they have more backbone with them like Razorock Barber, or others feel very soft and cloudlike, like the L'occitane Plisson.

Do they release lather easy, or are they lather hogs:
Very easily. The 26mm may hog a bit, but not a lot, and not anywhere close some badgers and unbroken in boars.

How to i deep clean a synthetic:
Depends on you mate. I just thoroughly wash my brush after every use, make sure I dry them for 24 hours before putting them back on the cabinet. Typically, the soonest they get used again is probably a week after.
Synthetics do dry a lot faster than animal hair brush, but it's my habit to leave the brush on the stand, out in the open air before I put it back in the cabinet and pick my new brush of the day.

11 1,149
 09-18-2016, 09:29 PM
User Info
Normally I'd try to provide a lot of detail - but for $10-15, you should just pick one up. I have one for travel, but it will never replace my natural hair badger brushes.

26 992
 09-19-2016, 07:18 PM
User Info
As said, just buy it. You can't go wrong. Use it 12-15 times before you dump it. It might be the best brush you'll ever use.

24 5,856
 09-19-2016, 08:35 PM
  • SCOV
  • Minnesota
User Info
For the price, You should get one tomorrow, worry about cleaning in 4 months, and worry about wear in 4 years.

I think the artisan is Wolf Whiskers - you get a page of options for the handle/knot/loft/etc and ends with "don't over think and buy what you want".

4 304
 09-19-2016, 09:24 PM
User Info
(09-18-2016, 09:29 PM)mike_the_kraken Wrote: Normally I'd try to provide a lot of detail - but for $10-15, you should just pick one up.  I have one for travel, but it will never replace my natural hair badger brushes.

This Thumbup

0 86