09-19-2016, 09:57 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
There are many threads pertaining to favorite soap or shaving cream scents but very little regarding least favorite scents. I think it is important to make a distinction between soaps and creams and also a distinction between budget items and more luxury items. In compiling your list, please disregard performance. We are only talking about scent right now. My personal list:

Budget Cream: WARS -it has been awhile since I last used WARS but, the corpse flower comes to mind.

Budget Soap: Arko -smells like a gas station rest room

Non-Budget Cream: Spencer & Devon Sagebrush

Non-Budget Soap: There are a lot of soaps in contention but I am going to go with a Dark Horse. I really do not care for the scent of Haslinger Soaps. I find them incredibly cloying and, they make me sneeze.

What makes your list?

46 18,074
 09-19-2016, 10:22 AM
User Info
Cream:  Proraso Green and Proraso White.  

I also recall an unscented cream, but I can't remember the name.  It had a fragrance of wax and an armpit that hadn't been washed for a week or two. 

Soap:  Captain's Choice Bay Rum and Barrister & Mann Roam.

Performance-wise, Sir Irish Moos is fantastic.  Fragrance-wise. . . . .it gives me a headache.  lol  I chopped it up, put it in an uncovered bowl, and let it "air" for almost two months.  No more headaches.   Biggrin  

8 148
 09-19-2016, 10:25 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(09-19-2016, 10:22 AM)Gigster Wrote: Cream:  Proraso Green and Proraso White.  

I also recall an unscented cream, but I can't remember the name.  It had a fragrance of wax and an armpit that hadn't been washed for a week or two. 

Soap:  Captain's Choice Bay Rum and Barrister & Mann Roam.

Performance-wise, Sir Irish Moos is fantastic.  Fragrance-wise. . . . .it gives me a headache.  lol  I chopped it up, put it in an uncovered bowl, and let it "air" for almost two months.  No more headaches.   Biggrin  

Ear wax and Body Odor. Biggrin

46 18,074
 09-19-2016, 10:33 AM
User Info
Cream:  Cyril Salter's French Vetiver cream.  Smells like a swamp fire.

2 1,388
 09-19-2016, 10:47 AM
  • EricM
  • Encinitas, CA
User Info
Soap:  B&M Rhapsody.  It smells like a pear that's been rotting on the bottom of a dumpster.

Eric

46 931
 09-19-2016, 10:49 AM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
Phoenix & Beau Spitfire; B&M Roam. 

I know people love these scents, but most products with "smoky" basenotes just smell like ashtray to me. But these two take the razzie prize.

159 1,315
 09-19-2016, 10:51 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Stirling: Ozark Mountain

Meißner Tremonia: Strong 'N Scottish

Arco: agree with "gas station rest room"

38 5,030
 09-19-2016, 10:54 AM
  • nikos.a
  • Athens, Greece
User Info
(09-19-2016, 10:33 AM)kingfisher Wrote: Cream:  Cyril Salter's French Vetiver cream.  Smells like a swamp fire.
+1. It smells like an ashtray to me.

Another scent I dislike is the one of Kolynos. It's a now discontinued made in Greece cream that smells like pesticide. Just awful. I still have it because it's a traditional Greek cream very hard to find anymore, but never use it.

Also, ToOBS Sandalwood. Cheap sweet scent, not a sandalwood scent for sure.

Tabac. Smells like an old lady perfume to me. I could never wear this cologne or use the shaving soap. I tried it a couple of times, sold it.

Almost forgot it. LPL Dandy. A very awkward scent I can't describe. Not that I didn't like it at all, but it smelled strange to me. A friend told me once that it smells like bleach. I am sure it's a scent with not so many fans.

49 1,938
 09-19-2016, 11:26 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(09-19-2016, 09:57 AM)bullgoose Wrote: Budget Soap: Arko -smells like a gas station rest room

That is an accurate description of Arko for me as well, although I would probably still use it as I recall it's performance to be excellent?

One I will add : Kiehl's Lite Flight Shave cream. The performance is actually quite impressive (like really good), however the scent is horrible...smelled like a moldy backseat of an auction car Tongue

34 1,628
 09-19-2016, 11:32 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
User Info
(09-19-2016, 11:26 AM)Giorgio Wrote:
(09-19-2016, 09:57 AM)bullgoose Wrote: Budget Soap: Arko -smells like a gas station rest room

That is an accurate description of Arko for me as well, although I would probably still use it as I recall it's performance to be excellent?

One I will add : Kiehl's Lite Flight Shave cream. The performance is actually quite impressive (like really good), however the scent is horrible...smelled like a moldy backseat of an auction car Tongue
24 I know exactly the smell you are talking about. That is a cream I will mark off my list.

46 18,074
 09-19-2016, 11:33 AM
  • ddk13
  • Nebraska
User Info
Another here for LPL-Dandy.  The first time I smelled it it reminded me of the drink mix "Tang".  Very weird not very enjoyable scent.

42 581
 09-19-2016, 12:05 PM
User Info
Simpsons Caffe Latte shave cream smelled awful when I tried. Like rancid coffee beans. Not at all like my morning coffee hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 79
 09-19-2016, 12:29 PM
  • DDP
User Info
LPL Dandy, Stirling Coniferous and Arko - I hatte these scents

0 11
 09-19-2016, 12:45 PM
User Info
XPEC seems to be a love it or hate it scent. I fall into the latter camp.

16 147
 09-19-2016, 12:58 PM
User Info
Xpec original (old smoker ladie's purse) and Dettol Cream (sharp lemon floor cleaner with remnants of the vomit it cleaned up).

43 207
 09-19-2016, 02:26 PM
User Info
Chiseled face sherlock soap,smelled like the rotten grass that you peel off the mower deck

0 31
 09-19-2016, 02:39 PM
  • Macko
  • Virginia
User Info
Arko - Janitor's mop bucket at a Turkish prison.

Chiseled Face Midnight Stag - Welcome mat at a Sears Auto Center in Hoboken.

B&M Roam - Electrical fire at a polyester factory.

17 549
 09-19-2016, 02:59 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
'LADIES' young or senior  wear classic scent like Chanel #5 or Boellis Panama 1924. Your Aunt Zelda, the old maid who trapped you as a young man giving french kisses and looking bedraggled ( she climbs with a flashlight onto the roof in storms to warn the ships at sea) even in her Salvation Army finery smells bad from 18 farm catalog remedies for livestock skin disorders and christmas hard candy bought in bulk on January 10 of each year.

I would like further illumination on a phrase yet to appear in this thread. " My wife said my soap/AS smells like a Bangkok/ New Orleons whorehouse" Gentlemen, I falter even asking this. But, how does she know?

My greatest disgust is not a prticular soap, but scent; PATCHOULI. I can handle it in a complex formula. but alone it evokes those protean, Northern California, earth mother, vegan, lesbian  coven creatures in dreadlocks, grannygowns and birkenstocks with braided armpit hair who used it by the gallon, knocking endangered owls  dead from redwood trees as they bared their breasts to distract loggers while less brave souls monkeywrenched the equippment before said brawney men timidly ventured back 30 minutes later.

2 3,171
 09-19-2016, 03:13 PM
User Info
Meißner & Tremonia - Strong and Scottish, and this is coming from someone that loves Islay Scotches. 

Ballenclaugh - Hot Barrel Rose 

Stirling - Glacial Obsidian

The Shaving Shop - Springtime in Paris, this one came close to being a great scent but there's this really weird underlying scent that ruins it

3 908
 09-19-2016, 04:07 PM
User Info
Catie's Bubbles Honey Noir - top notes of honey, with basenotes of moldy yogurt.

26 984