09-19-2016, 11:02 PM
User Info
Hello gents, newbie needs help.
I love my X3 and it's my go to razor almost every time.
I find it forgiving and a great shave. I have recently loaded it up with a feather and became somewhat more aggressive and comfortable to use.
I read, if I put a heavier handle on the head it will become even more aggressive. Is this true?
If it is, is it because presumably we use the razor with only its own weight, will a heavier razor press more and subsequently cut more aggressively?

0 313
 09-20-2016, 04:06 AM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(09-19-2016, 11:02 PM)kyproset Wrote: I love my X3 and it's my go to razor almost every time.
I find it forgiving and a great shave. I have recently loaded it up with a feather and became somewhat more aggressive and comfortable to use.
I read, if I put a heavier handle on the head it will become even more aggressive. Is this true?

You need to tell us more about what you mean by “aggressive.”  Different shavers use the word in different ways.

Reading between the lines, it appears to me, based on limited data, that you mean “efficient,” which, to me, is not quite the same as “aggressive.”

What blades had you been using before you tried the Feather?  Unless you had been using KAIs, then the Feather probably is much sharper than the blades you had used previously.  The new sharpness probably accounts for the better efficiency you detected.

I’ll leave it to others to address the issue of the weight of the handle, but do consider not only mass but balance.

1 1,109
 09-20-2016, 05:17 AM
User Info
Thank you for answering,
by aggressive, I mean the ability to cut effortlessly and close. Before the feather I was using the Vokshod and Willkinson blades.

0 313
 09-20-2016, 06:30 AM
User Info
Your definiton of aggressive is my definition of efficient. Aggressive, to me, is how likely you are to get irritation/razorburn/cuts from a razor.

3 109
 09-20-2016, 07:12 AM
User Info
(09-20-2016, 06:30 AM)efsk Wrote: Your definiton of aggressive is my definition of efficient. Aggressive, to me, is how likely you are to get irritation/razorburn/cuts from a razor.
It's an acceptable definition, but if people were likely to get all these negative results from an aggressive razor, I don't think they would sell.
For the purpose of answering my original question though, would a heavier handle make the razor more efficient?

0 313
 09-20-2016, 08:20 AM
  • DayMan
  • Tennessee
User Info
My first DE razor was a Merkur 1904.  I felt like the handle was a little slippery, so I started using it with a Weber Bulldog handle.  I don't know that it was more efficient, but it did provide a different experience.  One thing to think about is that aluminum is pretty light.  If you get too heavy of a handle, you'll have a weird handle heavy balance in my opinion.

3 584
 09-20-2016, 09:39 AM
User Info
(09-20-2016, 07:12 AM)kyproset Wrote:
(09-20-2016, 06:30 AM)efsk Wrote: Your definiton of aggressive is my definition of efficient. Aggressive, to me, is how likely you are to get irritation/razorburn/cuts from a razor.
It's an acceptable definition, but if people were likely to get all these negative results from an aggressive razor, I don't think they would sell.
For the purpose of answering my original question though, would a heavier handle make the razor more efficient?

Aggressive and efficient have, and can go together. Generally if you're getting a closer shave, you are more likely to get negative results go with it. Aggressive implies a higher likelihood to bite, where efficient razors do the job of cutting hair better. When people buy "aggressive" razors, they're chasing a more efficient shave.

With a heavier handle, there is increased chance of using more pressure, giving a more aggressive shave (chance to bite). It doesn't affect any other aspect of the shave.

0 44