09-21-2016, 03:46 AM
User Info
Hi everyone,

Firstly I feel that I need to post the usual "first time poster, long time lurker" dialogue. I have looked from afar for some time, dealt with a few members through the BST but that has been the total of my involvement to date.

Unfortunately I am in a position where I need some advice.

I recently purchased a used brush (not through this forum) and long story short when the brush arrived it was damp. The packaging etc. was clearly dry and showed no signs of water damage but the brush knot was clearly damp. I have approached the seller and they claim that "to their knowledge the brush was dry when they sent it". The seller is trying to get me to put a claim in through USPS but I personally do not see what that is going to achieve.

I should probably elaborate a bit more. I am overseas, the brush was shipped to my address at ShipItTo. I decided to forward it to a well respected brush maker to get the knot removed and put in a nicer handle. When it arrived to the brush maker it was damp. Therefore it has been damp in the packaging for 2 weeks. If I send it back to the seller it will have ended up costing me almost as much to return it as I will get back (I have to admit I got a pretty good deal on the brush and it was reasonably cheap, no reason to send it wet though IMO).

So what are everyone's thoughts on how to handle this? I would think the brush has suffered a significant amount of damage being sent like it was. The seller is not being forthcoming with a suitable solution IMO.

Appreciate the help Smile

4 105
 09-21-2016, 03:53 AM
User Info
As long as there are no hairs coming out I'd give it a good vinegar and water wash, start using the brush and forget about it.
Welcome by the way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

74 2,274
 09-21-2016, 03:55 AM
User Info
(09-21-2016, 03:53 AM)merkur man Wrote: As long as there are no hairs coming out I'd give it a good vinegar and water wash, start using the brush and forget about it.
Welcome by the way!

Thanks for the welcome Smile

Unfortunately it will be some time before i get the brush as it still needs to be shipped to me (from US to Australia). I guess I am screwed and have no real recourse Sad

4 105
 09-21-2016, 05:43 AM
User Info
(09-21-2016, 03:55 AM)nsavage Wrote:
(09-21-2016, 03:53 AM)merkur man Wrote: As long as there are no hairs coming out I'd give it a good vinegar and water wash, start using the brush and forget about it.
Welcome by the way!

Thanks for the welcome Smile

Unfortunately it will be some time before i get the brush as it still needs to be shipped to me (from US to Australia). I guess I am screwed and have no real recourse Sad

OK.  Presuming it's still with the brush maker, I would assume that he'll let it dry before shipping to you.  But to be sure, I'd reach out to him and ask him to assess its condition then follow his recommendations.  There are several ways to handle this kind of condition and most brushmakers who've been around a while have (probably) seen it before.

I'm sorry this happened to you.  Unfortunately, it's a "caveat emptor" situation.  I wish you the best.  If I can be of assistance, please free to send me a PM.

Oh...and welcome to the Nook!

2 616
 09-21-2016, 05:58 AM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
First, welcome to the Nook.  Glad to see you jump in and comment.  As for the knot, I would agree with the above comments.  The brushmaker should be able to give you a full estimate of the condition of the know once it has dried out.  If it is in good condition, no harm.  They should be able to give you good guidance as to how to proceed with the brush.  As for the original shipper, I am not sure as to how large or dense the know is on the brush in question, but I can see how a seller might presume the knot to be dry if the tips were dry. But, if the knot were large and dense, it could have moisture deep in the knot or even handle than comes to the surface once the brush is on it's side in shipping.  But, I am confused as to how the packing was dry if the brush was moist after two weeks.

Good luck with the project.

61 507
 09-21-2016, 03:36 PM
User Info
Thanks for the above comments.

We have decided to go with a new knot as I am more comfortable in doing that.

The seller says they had not used the brush for weeks which makes things all the more alarming in some way. The brush was very tightly wrapped in cling wrap from what I have been able to tell. I guess it is possible for some moisture deep in the knot to have released during shipping.

I am working through with the seller as well, hopefully we can get a decent outcome.

4 105
 09-24-2016, 05:17 PM
User Info
I'm sorry to hear this man, I can relate. I'm also not in the CONUS and a seller sent me a razor with damage and there was nothing I could do about it. 

Just clean yours thoroughly and dry for a day or two in an open area, but a new knot indeed might be better.

11 1,169