09-21-2016, 06:08 AM
User Info
Dear all,

I am a relative newbie in the DE razor shaving fraternity.

So far I have used the Wilkinson, the Voskhod, supermax and feather DE blades.
The Wilkinson and Voskhod gave me a smooth DFS shave but only for the first time. The second time I used them they were not shaving as well as in the first shave, tugging and not cutting where they pass.
The feather, I use for more than 1 time with the same results every time.
This had me confused when testing new razors as I would change blades between razors which were not new but used for a few times.
Even my favorite fat boy seemed below par today, but as soon as I changed to a new feather it transformed itself to my usual favorite again.
I proceeded t put a new feather in the fatip grande which I put aside as a non adequately performing razor and it improved it immensely.
Same with the X3 slant. It glided over the face like a dream.
My stubble is a hard one with 2-3 days of growth, but after that it softens up a bit.
Needles to say I cut myself in a few places with the feather but I love the feeling and intend to continue using it as my primary blade.
I read the Personna lab blues are the same with the feathers as far as smoothness and sharpness are concerned. I ordered a few to test.
Does it happen to other folk to use a new blade for just one time and then becoming so dull it cannot be used a second time?
I had the same problem with the carts, as I would not get as many shaves from a cart like my other friends.
Your experience and wisdom will be greatly appreciated.

0 313
 09-21-2016, 06:30 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
You might, in fact, be sensitive on some level to blade sharpness. Myself, I tend to get less uses out of blades then most of the gents here...Feather DEs last me two shaves, other DEs last me no more than 3. I can't use the Feather SE blade in my Oneblade for more than one shave, and the GEM SE blades rarely last me more than 3-4 shaves while many folks are getting 7+ shaves with them. Stick to what is most comfortable for you...if you find that you can only use Feathers once, that's ok, use them once. On average they are about $0.33 a blade so it's still not that bad compared to carts. I have a friend that uses only one side of the DE blade per shave (I use both), so you might try that to get two shaves out of a Feather.

Keep experimenting, and at the end of the day listen to your skin and stick with what is most comfortable for you. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34 1,627
 09-21-2016, 08:38 AM
  • gp569900
  • Franklin, TN USA
User Info
I agree with Giorgio. I find it difficult to get as many shaves out of a blade as others seem to. Ideally, I would change blades daily. (But, I am cheap.). My guess is that with your thicker stubble you need a sharper blade to slice through it more easily. I can get a few more shaves out of Personna Med Preps.

61 507
 09-21-2016, 08:46 AM
User Info
+1 on blade longevity. Caveat emptor.

36 910
 09-21-2016, 08:51 AM
User Info
I tend to go through blades fairly quickly, but I can get three comfortable shaves with a Feather. I find Personnas to be less sharp, but they're pretty sharp, and I can get about five good shaves out of them.

0 1,098
 09-21-2016, 09:11 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
What razor are you using? Do you only shave every 2-3 days?  The double wammy of a heavy beard and 3 days worth may be overwhelming  your system. Imagine clearing brush with a lawnmower instead of bermuda. You might consider A. shaving daily B. Kicking the tires on an opencomb or slant. Feathers never last anyone more than two shaves, but you should get better blade life from the others.

2 3,171
 09-21-2016, 09:18 AM
User Info
I can't help with your issue, I get around 7 good shaves out of a feather. I do have a suggestion, Wilkinson Sword German blades, I can get a month out of those, and on one occasion I went three months on a blade.

Are you one of those guys who takes the blade out after every shave and wipes it off? If so, you may be harming the edge with your cleaning. I leave mine in the razor till it's done.

What kind of soap, lather, pre-shave routine are you using?

0 263
 09-21-2016, 09:50 AM
User Info
(09-21-2016, 09:11 AM)kav Wrote: What razor are you using? Do you only shave every 2-3 days?  The double wammy of a heavy beard and 3 days worth may be overwhelming  your system. Imagine clearing brush with a lawnmower instead of bermuda. You might consider A. shaving daily B. Kicking the tires on an opencomb or slant. Feathers never last anyone more than two shaves, but you should get better blade life from the others.

Thank you for the reply,

I primarily use the Ikon X3 slant and the Gillette fat boy on no.8 or 9.
Today I tried my Fatip OC Grande with a new feather and it seemed much better than the first time I tried it with a slightly used (2 shaves) Voskhod. With the Wilkinson it's next to useless.
I shave every 3 days and I'm considering your suggestion to shave every day. I might even try the Muhle R41 (2013) with a new feather.
The problem right now I put down on technique as I'm a relative newbie to DE shaving and I might commit mistakes which are detrimental to a BBs or DFS result. I also cut myself a few times,(not seriously) every shave.

0 313
 09-21-2016, 10:01 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
We all cut ourselves starting out and then when we get IN A HURRY. Have you watched MANTICS YOUTUBE tutorials? I have a theory it's a combination of shaving frequency and one or more prep or technique issues.

2 3,171
 09-21-2016, 10:19 AM
User Info
(09-21-2016, 10:01 AM)kav Wrote: We all cut ourselves starting out and then when we get IN A HURRY. Have you watched MANTICS YOUTUBE tutorials? I have a theory it's a combination of shaving frequency and one or more prep or technique issues.

Yes Mantic59's videos were the ones, also I followed Geofatboy as well.

0 313
 09-21-2016, 10:29 AM
  • kav
  • Banned
User Info
I've found periodic reviews of Mantic's tutorials helpfull when my shaving gets sloppy. That, and avoiding spirits in the morning.

2 3,171
 09-21-2016, 11:07 AM
User Info
(09-21-2016, 09:18 AM)TobyC Wrote: I can't help with your issue, I get around 7 good shaves out of a feather. I do have a suggestion, Wilkinson Sword German blades, I can get a month out of those, and on one occasion I went three months on a blade.

Are you one of those guys who takes the blade out after every shave and wipes it off? If so, you may be harming the edge with your cleaning. I leave mine in the razor till it's done.

What kind of soap, lather, pre-shave routine are you using?
I di like to keep my razors spotless, so after every shave I dry them off, also the blade, but I make sure I don't touch the cutting edges at all.
I use the Prorasso, also the Arko on a synthetic Plissoon brush.

0 313
 09-21-2016, 11:14 AM
User Info
I think kav nailed it: It has a lot to do with shaving frequency. I think this is not just the frequency of how often you shave, but how frequently the blade passes over the face in each shave.

I'll typically do 3 passes, touch up and buffing. That's a lot of use of a blade. As a result, I only use my Feather blades twice. I use Feathers almost exclusively, have since they were introduced to the US market. For my face, and the way I shave, they just worked better than the others.

Someone else who is doing a quick two pass and a little touch up can get more shaves out of it.

To state the obvious: the tougher the beard and the more contact the blade has with the face in the shaves, the less the longevity of the blade.

24 662
 09-21-2016, 11:40 AM
User Info
(09-21-2016, 11:14 AM)Michael P Wrote: I think kav nailed it: It has a lot to do with shaving frequency. I think this is not just the frequency of how often you shave, but how frequently the blade passes over the face in each shave.

I'll typically do 3 passes, touch up and buffing. That's a lot of use of a blade. As a result, I only use my Feather blades twice. I use Feathers almost exclusively, have since they were introduced to the US market. For my face, and the way I shave, they just worked better than the others.

Someone else who is doing a quick two pass and a little touch up can get more shaves out of it.

To state the obvious: the tougher the beard and the more contact the blade has with the face in the shaves, the less the longevity of the blade.

Yes, this makes perfect sense.
I usually do 3 passes and corrections so the blade has a lot to do. Maybe I'll have to shave more often with less passes, but I do like the BBS of 3 passes & correction even if it gives me a slight tingle on the skin.

0 313
 09-21-2016, 04:04 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(09-21-2016, 09:50 AM)kyproset Wrote: I primarily use the Ikon X3 slant and the Gillette fat boy on no.8 or 9.
Today I tried my Fatip OC Grande with a new feather and it seemed much better than the first time I tried it with a slightly used (2 shaves) Voskhod. With the Wilkinson it's next to useless.
I shave every 3 days and I'm considering your suggestion to shave every day. I might even try the Muhle R41 (2013) with a new feather.
The problem right now I put down on technique as I'm a relative newbie to DE shaving and I might commit mistakes which are detrimental to a BBs or DFS result. I also cut myself a few times,(not seriously) every shave.

The Feather and either the Fatip or the Mühle R41 are not marriages made in heaven.  Here’s why.  Although the Feather is very sharp, it is also very thin (a light gauge of steel).  In common with all other DE blades, the Feather is a spring; mounted in the razor, it is under tension, and is functionally identical to the leaf springs in the undercarriage of stage coaches or at the rear of automobiles with the Hotchkiss suspension geometry that was popular for the first eight decades of the 20th century.  Because the Feather is as thin as it is, it demands underside support (supplied by the baseplate) that extends out closer to the cutting edge than blades with thicker gauge steel require.  As you draw the blade across your face, the edge will be pushed upward, and a wave of sorts will form on the underside.  But — remember — this is a spring we are dealing with here; when the edge of the blade reaches its maximum deflection upward, the stored potential energy in the bend of the spring in the blade’s underside will be converted to kinetic energy as the edge rebounds downward to its stable position.  That is when your skin, rather than your whisker, gets cut by the sharp edge.

There are two ways to minimize violent spring-back.  One is to use a blade fashioned from a heavier gauge of steel.  It requires more force to deflect the edge of the thicker blade, and so, for a given stroke of the razor against a given beard, the edge of the blade will not deflect as far from neutral as a thin Feather blade will.  The other is to use a razor that supports the blade on both sides right out to very near the edge, which will limit the amplitude of the wave that can form on the underside of the blade.  The Feather AS-D2 is an example of the latter, and there are myriad stories, on this board and on other boards and around water coolers, of shavers who had given up on Feather blades because they saw too much blood, then got a Feather AS-D2 razor (which ships with a pack of Feather blades), and — mirabile dictu! — the Feather blades were “tamed,” and they had the best shaves of their lives.  The alternative, if you have a razor like the Fatip or R41 that has a droopy, downward-sloping baseplate, is to use a thicker gauge blade such as the KAI (as sharp as a Feather), which will “tame” the razor in the manner that the Feather AS-D2 razor “tames” the Feather blade.

1 1,110
 09-21-2016, 09:03 PM
User Info
Thank you Mel for the thorough explanation. It does make sense.
the Ikon X3 slant keeps the blade at an acute angle, so deflection is minimized. I do however get almost the same number of cuts using this in the fat boy, in which the feather presumably flexes more. The smoothness of cut of the feather is what I'm really after.

0 313
 09-22-2016, 11:58 AM
User Info
I have also checked my fat boy and it seems the blade overhang from the bottom plate is way less than the R41, also it is pushed up at an angle when tight, so I presume the blade is prevented from flexing so safe to use.

0 313
 09-24-2016, 05:33 PM
User Info
(09-21-2016, 10:29 AM)kav Wrote: I've found periodic reviews of Mantic's tutorials helpfull when my shaving gets sloppy. That, and avoiding spirits in the morning.

Agreed. I like Mantic, very informative and I don't feel any kind of shilling involved.

11 1,170
 09-24-2016, 05:41 PM
User Info
My preferred blade in the Fatip Piccolo is the Feather, never had a problem, fantastic shaver. Perhaps some folks use too steep of an angle, then again, I use whatever angle I want. Over analysis is no substitute for actual shave time.

0 263
 09-24-2016, 05:50 PM
User Info
(09-21-2016, 04:04 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(09-21-2016, 09:50 AM)kyproset Wrote: I primarily use the Ikon X3 slant and the Gillette fat boy on no.8 or 9.

The Feather and either the Fatip or the Mühle R41 are not marriages made in heaven.  Here’s why.  Although the Feather is very sharp, it is also very thin (a light gauge of steel).  In common with all other DE blades, the Feather is a spring; mounted in the razor, it is under tension, and is functionally identical to the leaf springs in the undercarriage of stage coaches or at the rear of automobiles with the Hotchkiss suspension geometry that was popular for the first eight decades of the 20th century.  Because the Feather is as thin as it is, it demands underside support (supplied by the baseplate) that extends out closer to the cutting edge than blades with thicker gauge steel require.  As you draw the blade across your face, the edge will be pushed upward, and a wave of sorts will form on the underside.  But — remember — this is a spring we are dealing with here; when the edge of the blade reaches its maximum deflection upward, the stored potential energy in the bend of the spring in the blade’s underside will be converted to kinetic energy as the edge rebounds downward to its stable position.  That is when your skin, rather than your whisker, gets cut by the sharp edge.

There are two ways to minimize violent spring-back.  One is to use a blade fashioned from a heavier gauge of steel.  It requires more force to deflect the edge of the thicker blade, and so, for a given stroke of the razor against a given beard, the edge of the blade will not deflect as far from neutral as a thin Feather blade will.  The other is to use a razor that supports the blade on both sides right out to very near the edge, which will limit the amplitude of the wave that can form on the underside of the blade.  The Feather AS-D2 is an example of the latter, and there are myriad stories, on this board and on other boards and around water coolers, of shavers who had given up on Feather blades because they saw too much blood, then got a Feather AS-D2 razor (which ships with a pack of Feather blades), and — mirabile dictu! — the Feather blades were “tamed,” and they had the best shaves of their lives.  The alternative, if you have a razor like the Fatip or R41 that has a droopy, downward-sloping baseplate, is to use a thicker gauge blade such as the KAI (as sharp as a Feather), which will “tame” the razor in the manner that the Feather AS-D2 razor “tames” the Feather blade.

The Feather measures 0.1 mm, or .004", which is pretty much the industry standard.

0 263